Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975773 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Major Mods Thread
« Reply #570 on: April 27, 2012, 03:07:57 pm »

I are confus.

How do I drain Thaumcraft Taint permanently from the atmosphere? It's slowly increasing by the minute, and it doesn't seem to stop.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #571 on: April 27, 2012, 03:16:35 pm »

Very nice.

Oh and we have almost the same user text.
It takes a fair while to place all the blocks down, but if you put a base of wood slabs down, and then use corner blocks for the actual design, you can get a lot of mileage out of very few blocks.

And great minds think alike, I suppose :P

Sounds nice, I've been experimenting a lot with the microblocks for building lately, now that the issue with lighting's mostly fixed.

The new dark wood would work well as paneling if it retains its color when cut into microblocks. Wish you could change the orientation so it is vertical panels.
I'm pretty sure it does, I don't have a 1.2.5 world with Redpower installed right now so I can't check. And yeah, being able to make vertical wooden blocks would be nice.
I've actually been considering replacing the Jungle and Oak plank textures with vertical versions of the Pine and Birch planks, less colours, but I think it'd give more design options, and Redpower bases the microblock textures on the full block, so it should work fine.

Ninjedit:
I are confus.

How do I drain Thaumcraft Taint permanently from the atmosphere? It's slowly increasing by the minute, and it doesn't seem to stop.

Using a crystallizer to make Taint crystals removes it from the atmosphere I think. You can store the taint crystals like nuclear waste or w/e. Taint crystals in the Vis condenser draw taint out of the atmosphere as well I think, but I haven't played with Thaumcraft much.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 27, 2012, 03:21:31 pm »

If taint is going up, it's probably flowing in from nearby chunks.  Explore a little, see if there's a whole tainted landscape advancing like an evil tide...and if there is, get ready to move.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 27, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »

Can you live in a tainted area? What does the taint do actually, besides make everything purple and make monsters tougher?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 27, 2012, 04:03:23 pm »

Can you live in a tainted area? What does the taint do actually, besides make everything purple and make monsters tougher?

It taints animals and makes them aggressive.
Also, you can get damaged by those pods that grow there.

And as far as I know, tainted blocks you destroy cannot be gathered.
So it basically ruins the landscape.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 27, 2012, 04:10:21 pm »

I are confus.

Using a crystallizer to make Taint crystals removes it from the atmosphere I think. You can store the taint crystals like nuclear waste or w/e. Taint crystals in the Vis condenser draw taint out of the atmosphere as well I think, but I haven't played with Thaumcraft much.

Wrong, if we're talking about Thaumcraft2 (i never played Thaumcraft1), a crystallizer only uses liquid vis, and even if it's upgraded with concentrated evil it doesnt use taint and wouldnt draw it from the atmosphere anyway. The vis condenser CAN be used to draw taint out of the atmosphere, but it requires the "concentrated evil" upgrade (which needs to be researched) and you need to use tainted crystals in it. The best way to deal with taint is to build totems of dawn in your base to increase the positive charge of your aura and store the taint separately from vis, in thaumium tanks. You can also relocate silverwood trees near your base (the leaves can be picked with shears and the trunk re-assembled from logs).

I guess you could but it would be a pain in the ass, tainted blocks are really hard to break (and are destroyed when you break them), and i don't think tainted wood can be used normally. I think it would also prevent you from doing any kind of farming (which is bad since you need reeds for paper), and it probably prevents wisps from spawning (they are a good source of crystals), and prevent crystals from growing. And since taint spreads, this would eventually be true for all the chunks in your vicinity, forcing you to travel more than you would need otherwise.

So you can, just like you can live in the nether but it's just more practical not to.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 27, 2012, 05:53:48 pm »

So you can, just like you can live in the nether but it's just more practical not to.
Speaking of which, unless something's changed recently the nether is a perfect place for your lab since taint doesn't seem to affect the atmosphere, and it won't do anything to soul sand or netherrack.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #577 on: April 27, 2012, 07:11:46 pm »

Speaking of which, unless something's changed recently the nether is a perfect place for your lab since taint doesn't seem to affect the atmosphere, and it won't do anything to soul sand or netherrack.
Amusingly, the mod author has stated that this will be changed soon and that nethertaint will be bad.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 27, 2012, 07:16:12 pm »

Yeah my girlfriend winced at the very notion of 'taint in the nether'.  I would too.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 27, 2012, 08:22:01 pm »

Redpower Microblocks, they are awesome

Question: am I correct in my belief that these "Redpower Microblocks" are just the 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, 1/8 blocks you can get by using the Redpower handsaw on blocks?  They're not a replacement for the Little Blocks mod I asked about a few pages back?

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 27, 2012, 08:39:25 pm »

If taint is going up, it's probably flowing in from nearby chunks.  Explore a little, see if there's a whole tainted landscape advancing like an evil tide...and if there is, get ready to move.
Taint got nerfed with the last patch, so you don't really see taint spreading like this anymore. Taint only seems to show up if taint in the chunk is over 4000, and it doesn't seem to spread to neighbouring chunks unless it has the required taint level.

Makes me sad, because my main base was in the middle of a huge, beautifully tainted jungle, stretching for as far as the eye can see. After upgrading to the latest patch, the taint retreated to a mere two chunks, and didn't spread.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #581 on: April 27, 2012, 09:08:09 pm »

Taint got nerfed with the last patch, so you don't really see taint spreading like this anymore. Taint only seems to show up if taint in the chunk is over 4000, and it doesn't seem to spread to neighbouring chunks unless it has the required taint level.

Makes me sad, because my main base was in the middle of a huge, beautifully tainted jungle, stretching for as far as the eye can see. After upgrading to the latest patch, the taint retreated to a mere two chunks, and didn't spread.
Taint and Vis still flow from chunk to chunk, from higher concentrations to lower, and taint does still spread once over a certain % which spawns the tainted spore pods. Its less pronounced but not removed.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #582 on: April 27, 2012, 09:14:34 pm »

The problem with taint right now is that there was a big problem, it spread to aggressively. The mod author fixed this by taking some numbers or what have you that deal with its spread and slashed them and released a new version. Now there is a problem, taint doesn't really spread much. Now if I had to come up with an answer for this I would take whatever changed and slide it right between the two extremes and release again and see what happens. Eventually by doing this you would come up with good enough and probably a good idea of how much you can shift numbers to make a difference without making too big of a difference.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #583 on: April 27, 2012, 09:40:04 pm »

I have to say that is probably going to be the best answer if taint ever gets bad again.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 28, 2012, 02:45:56 am »

Haha, after two days of headaches, I finally got a ton of 1.2.5 mods working together. Now to do something about that 10fps. Heh.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Removed Millenaire, WR:CBE, and ExtraBiomes
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:14:40 am by Peewee »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 326