Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975356 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Minecraft - Major Mods Thread
« Reply #345 on: April 20, 2012, 07:11:00 pm »

I don't even get how collectors got in to EE in the first place actually. It completely goes against the spirit of the mod and that is why it breaks the game. Basically it makes something out of nothing when the mods whole focus is alchemy where EMC doesn't magically appear or disappear when transmuting things.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #346 on: April 20, 2012, 07:19:32 pm »

I do think that totally lossless transmutations aren't amazing for balance.
Thaumcraft has a much nicer system to handle that, but Equivalent Exchange is still very nice, especially when you get to constructions that require many thousand (x)
I am a bit extreme, but MoM has it right.
I can see the point, but lossless transmutations aren't inherently unbalanced. You can transmute cobblestone to diamond sure... if you dig up 8100 cobblestone. Most of the extreme transmutations in EE could be done quicker by hand just finding the material and mining it. The transmutation part of the mod is just for convenience really. Also I love the mercurial eye, because it's amazing. Plug in klein star and 1 stone brick, make stone brick walls evarwhere! (deducting the price of stone brick, of course... but who wants to make 13,000 stone bricks really? Or carry them in stacks of 64?) Without energy collectors, every point of EMC represents work you have done, and the values are weighted to the rarity of the item.

Different strokes, I suppose. I find I appreciate EE the most when I need JUST ONE MORE of x material to finish my project and I don't want to go mining for 30 minutes to find that one item so I can transmute some other stuff I don't need right at this moment.

Also recycling old tools into EMC is nice, rather than chucking them in a fire.

I don't even get how collectors got in to EE in the first place actually. It completely goes against the spirit of the mod and that is why it breaks the game. Basically it makes something out of nothing when the mods whole focus is alchemy where EMC doesn't magically appear or disappear when transmuting things.
Yeah, I think it was supposed to be something like solar collectors for IC2 but they made them far too powerful. IC2 solar is incredibly resource and time expensive and outputs a very small amount of energy per unit as well as taking up a large amount of space and having strict guidelines (ie, only works during the day/must see the sky) where EE energy collectors are magic generators which consume no fuel. Put a torch above a Mk1 collector and you have enough EMC to make another torch in 32 seconds. And the collector/relay interaction doesn't help.

1 collector = 1 EMC/sec

6 collectors = 6 EMC/sec

6 collectors + 1 relay = 12 EMC/sec

6 mk3 collectors + 1 mk3 relay = 96 EMC/sec

Once you make a standard Mk3 array you can plug in a klein star, go make a sandwich, come back and have several million EMC.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 20, 2012, 07:30:04 pm »

Really, with treecapitator/axe of the stream, bonemeal and 4 jungle saplings, you can mass produce diamonds.

4 stacks of logs/saplings is enough for one diamond.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #348 on: April 20, 2012, 07:31:00 pm »

Really, with treecapitator/axe of the stream, bonemeal and 4 jungle saplings, you can mass produce diamonds.

4 stacks of logs/saplings is enough for one diamond.
I didn't say it was balanced vs other mods... no mod is balanced vs other mods.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 20, 2012, 07:33:58 pm »

Yeah, mods do tend to screw up each other's progression :P

But even with just EE on it's own, jungle trees are great. They're relatively regular in shape, so they don't take all that long to cut down with a diamond axe. Get yourself a Destruction Catalyst and it's pretty quick farming
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #350 on: April 20, 2012, 07:36:01 pm »

True true. Trees are wonderful things. Timber/treecapitator + jungle trees = unlimited charcoal fuel for IC2 generators. Who needs solar power?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 20, 2012, 07:59:28 pm »

I've been using hydro generators. You can connect a whole bank of them together then use the Zeppelin mod to dunk them all into water at once, generates a hell of a lot of power. And it's just quite satisfying to do.
*Hugs*

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #352 on: April 20, 2012, 08:17:59 pm »

But even with just EE on it's own, jungle trees are great. They're relatively regular in shape, so they don't take all that long to cut down with a diamond axe. Get yourself a Destruction Catalyst and it's pretty quick farming
The thing about trees is that you actually have to cut them down, even if it is with the Destruction Catalyst. A collector is basically money for nothing.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 20, 2012, 08:22:09 pm »

The thing about trees is that you actually have to cut them down, even if it is with the Destruction Catalyst. A collector is basically money for nothing.
And chicks for free?

...If it gathered chickens or eggs, that would be amazing.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 20, 2012, 08:36:12 pm »

True true. Trees are wonderful things. Timber/treecapitator + jungle trees = unlimited charcoal fuel for IC2 generators. Who needs solar power?

EE Volcanite + IC2 geothermal generator

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 20, 2012, 08:46:13 pm »

Even without other mods, EE can be really OP when used right. For instance i watched a "Feed the beast" playthrough by direwolf20 and he was using a mob grinder connected to a condenser to generate free diamonds pretty quickly.

In fact, just using the dark matter/red matter pickaxe makes mining very easy, even more so if you also use the divining rod. And the philosopher's stone is also very potent if used right, for instance in the nether you can turn the surface of lava lakes into obsidian which can let you farm glowstone with relative ease. Same if you want to cross an ocean, just freeze the water in front of you as you go. And in many places, i found that turning stone/dirt into sand allowed me to punch through the terrain and overall making life easier.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 20, 2012, 08:48:50 pm »

Granted vanilla mob grinders will always make resources from mobs kinda trivial. Nothing can really be done about that.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #357 on: April 20, 2012, 08:50:23 pm »

Even without other mods, EE can be really OP when used right. For instance i watched a "Feed the beast" playthrough by direwolf20 and he was using a mob grinder connected to a condenser to generate free diamonds pretty quickly.

In fact, just using the dark matter/red matter pickaxe makes mining very easy, even more so if you also use the divining rod. And the philosopher's stone is also very potent if used right, for instance in the nether you can turn the surface of lava lakes into obsidian which can let you farm glowstone with relative ease. Same if you want to cross an ocean, just freeze the water in front of you as you go. And in many places, i found that turning stone/dirt into sand allowed me to punch through the terrain and overall making life easier.
They are not free diamonds, you still have to have a diamonds worth of matter, the condenser just does the transmutation part of it for you. Also, valconite amulet and swift wolfs is the way to go for mining glowstone.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #358 on: April 20, 2012, 09:32:18 pm »

Unless you also use Forestry...

1. As was pointed out, these diamonds are not 'free'. You are generating diamonds at the cost of all of the drops you'd normally get from those mobs.
2. In the FTB maps, the spawn space is very limited so mob grinders are incredibly ridiculously effective. You cannot do that in a normal game unless you light up every block above and below ground for hundreds of blocks in every direction and make your own darkroom spawn area, and even then its not guaranteed because the mob spots could be taken up by sheep or cows or squid which cannot spawn in the FTB maps due to lack of biome/tile/water locations. Because of this, every single mob spawns in your grinder and it becomes an EMC grinder.

Yes, using the end-game god tier dark/redmatter tools from the mod make mining and harvesting very easy. Go figure... it also takes an incredible amount of work and effort to get to those tools. The philosopher's stone is an odd tool which has some uses, yes, but even that isn't easy to make, requiring a diamond and at least one trip to the nether for glowstone. I didn't actually know it could freeze water or solidify magma though, how does that work? Those uses aren't listed on the wiki.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #359 on: April 20, 2012, 09:38:27 pm »

Unless you also use Forestry...
But as pointed out mods tend to break other mods. I can't really blame EE for breaking when you add something from another mod. Its like saying Single Player Commands breaks IC because it lets me spawn Uranium.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 326