Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the worst bug in DF? (69 of 729 fixed - 9%)

[part of children bugs squashed] Bug #535: Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic
- 73 (10%)
Bug #1582: Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors and #94: Injured dwarves not recovered
- 63 (8.6%)
Bug #2712: weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter
- 35 (4.8%)
Bug #1451: Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment (picks/axes/crossbows/quivers)
- 34 (4.7%)
Bug #5097:  Names overwriting text with TrueType
- 24 (3.3%)
[FIXED] Bug #5232: Streams/brooks/rivers getting turned stagnant by nearby pools/ponds
- 48 (6.6%)
Bug #296: Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much
- 22 (3%)
Bug #2922: Population Cap not working
- 39 (5.3%)
Bug #5312: Undead reanimate too quickly (and forever)
- 62 (8.5%)
Bug #2780: Turtles went extinct on my map (applies to all aquatic vermin)
- 26 (3.6%)
Bug #33: Bronze colossus, skeletal creatures, fleshballs, and others are impossible to kill
- 13 (1.8%)
Bug #3898: Entire Bone Stacks are used in Reactions instead of a single Bone
- 12 (1.6%)
Bug #5611: Cities overwhelmingly build textile industry shops, almost never wood, stone, or metal-related shops - results in nearly no weapons/armor for sale.
- 22 (3%)
Bug #5263: Abandoned shops not reclaimed - Older towns are almost entirely abandoned in spite of Legends listing population in thousands
- 17 (2.3%)
Bug #2327: Blunt weapons extremely ineffective, extended single combat with groundhog
- 12 (1.6%)
Bug #4552: Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders
- 16 (2.2%)
Bug #136 When embarking on large area, DF hits 2GB memory limit and crashes
- 16 (2.2%)
Bug #412: Nobles job priority is weird (trading, diagnose, talking with liaison and attend meeting jobs have extremely low priority)
- 32 (4.4%)
bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable
- 5 (0.7%)
Bug #4550: Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc
- 2 (0.3%)
Bug #4590: Unarmored creatures give in to pain too easily - Elephant killed by three hoary marmots when elephant gives in to pain from nibbling
- 7 (1%)
Bug #5106: Slain bandits/companions respawn/duplicate in their original location
- 7 (1%)
Bug #425: Dwarves Not Cleaning Blood
- 25 (3.4%)
[FIXED] Bug #1376: Presence of saltwater marsh causes mountain brooks/pools to become salty
- 4 (0.5%)
Bug #3685: Goblin squads invading a fortress will kill their non-goblin squadmates, sparking loyalty cascade
- 6 (0.8%)
Bugs #287 & #3147: Medical Dwarfs prefer using non-hospital stockpiles than hospital stocks
- 7 (1%)
Bug #5598: Town shops/cabinets contain human-sized clothes regardless of size of actual residents
- 6 (0.8%)
Bug #3015: Invader/sieger mounts flee combat, preventing their riders from fighting (worse with [FLIER] tag)
- 5 (0.7%)
Bug #1346: Adamantine thread used for suturing.
- 11 (1.5%)
Bug #3169: Bone carvers suffer art defacement when somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts
- 6 (0.8%)
Bug #874: Dwarves refuse to butcher some corpses (buzzards in particular)
- 3 (0.4%)
Bug #4430: Large gems not moved to stockpile
- 9 (1.2%)
Bug #3981: Dwarf with "Installing Colony in Hive" Job stuck in middle of nowhere.
- 18 (2.5%)
Bug #5102: Sewers inhabitants hanging out underwater near outflows (some of them stuck to walls)
- 4 (0.5%)
Bug #4299: Some events can't be zoomed to (from announcements menu) even though they have a definite location
- 23 (3.2%)
Bug #3190: Long Patrol Negative Thoughts seem to escalate, even with long break.
- 15 (2.1%)
Bug #434: Reaction jobs (unlike other jobs) don't look outside burrow for workers and raw materials (works through manager)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 725

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: The worst bug - 34.07-10 poll  (Read 63854 times)

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
Re: The worst bug - 34.07-09 poll
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2012, 11:11:05 pm »

I read a thread that seems to indicate that bug #5232 (stagnant rivers) is, in fact, not fixed.

Most of that thread, such as the message you linked to, was pre-v0.34.09.  The end of that thread suggests it's fixed now, though old saves with stagnant rivers may need to use pumps to clear out the "stagnant" tiles first.  You don't have to keep them running once the stagnancy is cleared.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2012, 10:48:31 am »

Most annoying bug? -> Waterfalls and the usual casualties. I couldn't even floor them fast enough this time, and even traffic cost use for forbidding did not help, 6 out of 7 died ...
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

fakechuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2012, 12:05:05 pm »

Is it worth mentioning the bug (?) where miners would rather path all the way around to the other side of a recently uncovered rough wall designated for mining instead of waiting a millisecond and mining through from where he/she is? An example of this is when you are mining out a maze and you get to the end. The miner would rather walk all the way back through the maze, then all the way through whatever path takes it to the other side of the designation. I have not really seen mention of this, but it is incredibly annoying in certain cases.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2012, 12:21:17 pm »

Is it worth mentioning the bug (?) where miners would rather path all the way around to the other side of a recently uncovered rough wall designated for mining instead of waiting a millisecond and mining through from where he/she is? An example of this is when you are mining out a maze and you get to the end. The miner would rather walk all the way back through the maze, then all the way through whatever path takes it to the other side of the designation. I have not really seen mention of this, but it is incredibly annoying in certain cases.

This is one of those cases where you're going to have to argue whether or not a suboptimally implemented feature counts as a bug or not.  It's sort of like a lot of the pathfinding problems that exist in the game already, in fact, and an overall pathfinding overhaul to get dwarves to behave more intelligently is certainly called for.  (For other issues, it includes dwarves trying to grab the "closest" stone by walking 50 tiles to get to a raw material three floors below then when four tiles to their side are the materials you want them to use, it also includes flyers not being able to understand they can fly and swimmers not being able to pathfind through water.  Plus, there's the whole inefficiency of large area A* pathfinding through complex mazes.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: The worst bug - 34.07-10 poll
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2012, 05:38:08 pm »

Nothing interesting happened in .10, prolonging poll.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

erthel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2012, 06:16:05 pm »

Bug #4550: Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc - 2 (0.3%)

Bug or feature?

ydaraishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2012, 07:43:05 pm »

For me it's fairly tied between the infinite zombies and the unkillable inorganic enemies.  Infinite animation is annoying for all the reasons stated before, but I find the issue with hostile inorganic creatures particularly frustrating, especially seeing as how there's currently no way to make dwarves retreat.  This goes especially for husks who, without this problem, would still make evil biomes really hard but at least fair.  Having soldiers beat on a kitten thrall so long they starve to death is something that should not happen.

Shawarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »

Dodging off cliffs is most definitely a feature. Bad dodger is bad.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2012, 08:40:39 pm »

Um this might be a bug or just sub optimal. i know dwarfs are supposed to use containers to collect things, but my dwarfs are carrying around entire barrels full of Quary bushes in order to grab a new stack from the farm. That's kinda like me taking all of my dirty cloths with me, when I go to grab one sock.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

ydaraishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2012, 08:45:42 pm »

Um this might be a bug or just sub optimal. i know dwarfs are supposed to use containers to collect things, but my dwarfs are carrying around entire barrels full of Quary bushes in order to grab a new stack from the farm. That's kinda like me taking all of my dirty cloths with me, when I go to grab one sock.

That's supposed to be a feature.  It makes sure that when multiple items need to be put in the container, they're all collected in one go.

Though it can get annoying for things like gem encrusting, when another dwarf grabs the whole bin of the gems the jeweler was working with.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:47:14 pm by ydaraishy »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2012, 08:59:08 pm »

That's supposed to be a feature.  It makes sure that when multiple items need to be put in the container, they're all collected in one go.

Though it can get annoying for things like gem encrusting, when another dwarf grabs the whole bin of the gems the jeweler was working with.

It causes problems, however.

If a dwarf is going to collect one seed from a kitchen that made a roast, the hauler will take the barrel that holds all the seeds, and then you'll get the farmers spamming job cancellations because someone took all the seeds they were about to plant. 

Rather than taking all the goods, it would be better to take an empty barrel or something and dump them in the barrel with all the goods that are already there, so that you don't cause job cancellations.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2012, 09:02:02 pm »

Might be an idea for all dorfs to carry a "box" around them for really small objects, like seeds or gems. It would help planting, to be sure.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2012, 09:06:32 pm »

Might be an idea for all dorfs to carry a "box" around them for really small objects, like seeds or gems. It would help planting, to be sure.

How about those pouches that are in the tools raw?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ydaraishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2012, 09:22:53 pm »

There could maybe be an option to reserve a few containers for hauling only, which would be emptied into another appropriate container so they're always available. Similar to how barrels and bins can be reserved for jobs like brewing.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2012, 12:05:20 am »

I always imagined the dwarves would use bags for temporary hauling purposes, if they are available.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11