Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Truth no less strange than Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 1182 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Truth no less strange than Dwarf Fortress?
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:55:02 pm »

Just been watching a documentary about the pyramids of Túcame, Peru.  (Which that Wiki page doesn't directly discuss, you have to wander onto the links regarding the Lambayeque/Sican people to even get a flavour of the nature of the subject.) 

It strikes me that if there's a Dwarf Fortress player (or set of them, in collaborative/succession mode) playing with our own world, this is one of the more obvious examples of them having chosen an embark area and played with it.

To badly summarise a doubtless dramatised retelling of the tale, pyramids are the major theme, in this particular area.  There are huge numbers of brick-built pyramids (of a local stepped- and flat-topped- style).  One site has a single huge pyramid, another has pyramids 'cleansed' by fire and abandoned.  The ultimate site, however, has twenty-six separate constructions.  Like all the structures throughout this valley, each had taken an inordinately long time to build, probably through an overwhelmingly use of the available human resources (in brick-making, building with the bricks, otherwise feeding and supplying the workforce) in order to accomplish the megaprojects concerned.  Complex rampways between raised areas reserved for workshops, kitchens, nobilic residences and the like.

And, at the end of the civilisation concerned, something very similar to a Tantrum Spiral may well have occurred, before the site was finally burnt and abandoned and the last residents dispersed.

Very Dorfy, the lot of it.

(I was wondering whether this discussion belongs on the 'upper' or 'lower' forums, and plumped for here.  Feel free to ignore it if you think I was wrong.  I had also first searched for both "Tucame" and "Túcame", among other terms.  The former doesn't exist on the forum, the latter seems to break the search algorithm and give way too many results, of which none of those checked appear to actually feature the term concerned.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Truth no less strange than Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 08:46:15 am »

It strikes me that if there's a Dwarf Fortress player (or set of them, in collaborative/succession mode) playing with our own world, this is one of the more obvious examples of them having chosen an embark area and played with it.

DF players = Mindset of heebeejeebee Kings. Yay.

Toffle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Truth no less strange than Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:13:01 am »

Disembarking was somewhere in mesoamerica roughly 600 BC
Two thriving and major civilizations developed
The tantrum spiral was roughly 400 AD
Only the remnant of the remaining civilization went on to become the ancestors of the modern residents