Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154913 times)

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #405 on: May 11, 2012, 11:31:02 am »

All they need is some omega 3 from my turtle...however i thought i was the only
doctor assistant around here ill just have to arrange a accident of the fishy kind!

Remind me if i get hurt not to let you do anything to me :o
Anyway Could i get a giant sparrow or 2 for protection?
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 11, 2012, 02:18:45 pm »

Upon entering the dining hall, it is hard not to notice the lone hanging in the room. Taking a loo[k] at it would reveal it to be a public notice.
*a note found on a poster stuck together from discarded scraps of leather*

Fellow dwarves, did you know that beneath our feet is a huge habitat that we dwarves have a right to inhabit; and yet our ruling class have so far refused us access, but now the situation has changed and I am of the firm belief that we can start exploring this mighty network of caverns and fulfill our natural calling.
As the leader of this initial exploration; I shall be the one who arranges this with our overseer and baroness to come to a suitable conclusion where we can truly begin our expedition. The riches waiting are immense; from mineral, botanical and animal wealth; there is a huge new world below us sparking with possibilities. Names may be signed on the empty space provided.
All I can say for now is; let us strike the earth!

Graknorke, Champion of BrightWater

*scratched onto the poster is a Graknorke rendition of forgotten beasts and dwarves. The forgotten beasts are embracing the dwarves.*

Looking further down the wall would reveal a variety of carved responses; ranging from the encouraging, the cautious, the enthusiastic and the insulting. One thing in particular is eye-catching though, being of a quality far above the others. It looks very similar to the one etched in the poster but looking closely will reveal one crucial difference.

*Carved into the wall is a Corai rendition of forgotten beats and dwarves. The dwarves are walking. The forgotten beasts are laughing.*
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:46:07 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 11, 2012, 02:41:17 pm »

Fellow dwarves, did you know that beneath our feet is a huge habitat that we dwarves have a right to inhabit; and yet our ruling class have so far refused us access, but now the situation has changed and I am of the firm belief that we can start exploring this mighty network of caverns and fulfill our natural calling.
As the leader of this initial exploration; I shall be the one who arranges this with our overseer and baroness to come to a suitable conclusion where we can truly begin our expedition. The riches waiting are immense; from mineral, botanical and animal wealth; there is a huge new world below us sparking with possibilities. Names may be signed on the empty space provided.
All I can say for now is; let us strike the earth!

Graknorke, Champion of BrightWater

*scratched onto the poster is a Graknorke rendition of forgotten beasts and dwarves. The forgotten beasts are embracing the dwarves.*

*hastily scrawled in the space provided* "DEX"
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #408 on: May 11, 2012, 03:09:38 pm »

*The forgotten beasts are embracing the dwarves.*
You misspelled "striking down".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 12, 2012, 01:45:03 am »

But our wonderful cave friends would NEVER do something like that to us! They are waiting to throw us a welcoming party and everything; they told me! Some of them will turn up late though... shame.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 12, 2012, 03:53:42 am »

But our wonderful cave friends would NEVER do something like that to us! They are waiting to throw us a welcoming party and everything; they told me! Some of them will turn up late though... shame.
Wait, the intent is to make friends with the creatures of the underworld?
Well, i wont swing at anything that doesnt act hostile, but i dont aim to make my wife a widow down there.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #411 on: May 12, 2012, 12:38:51 pm »

It turns out that getting 5 dwarves to do something together is surprisingly difficult.  I order them to station to a point, and maybe three show up, while the other two are drinking or sleeping.  Then one of the other two shows up, and then one of the first three is hungry, or goes to sleep, or decides to replace his crossbow with a better one.  The expedition is still happening, but one or more of the dwarves might get left behind for part of it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 12, 2012, 01:26:55 pm »

As long as its not me.
how bout several groups descending? or just shove them in a burrow...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 12, 2012, 01:57:03 pm »

It turns out that getting 5 dwarves to do something together is surprisingly difficult.  I order them to station to a point, and maybe three show up, while the other two are drinking or sleeping.  Then one of the other two shows up, and then one of the first three is hungry, or goes to sleep, or decides to replace his crossbow with a better one.  The expedition is still happening, but one or more of the dwarves might get left behind for part of it.
i dont mind getting left behind. i think it'd be quite funny.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 12, 2012, 02:14:02 pm »

i really dont care as long as im there.

BTW, can we mod in a repeating crossbow requiring insubordinate ammounts of parts but being massively overpowered? i mean like using several mechanisms, some leather, iron straps, bone and whatever else you can think of. oh, and containers holding 100 bolts before requiring reloading. dwarven machine-guns. or compressed air cannon.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #415 on: May 12, 2012, 03:46:24 pm »

BTW, can we mod in a repeating crossbow requiring insubordinate ammounts of parts but being massively overpowered? i mean like using several mechanisms, some leather, iron straps, bone and whatever else you can think of. oh, and containers holding 100 bolts before requiring reloading. dwarven machine-guns. or compressed air cannon.

1. Why?
2. No - it's not possible to mod new weapons into an existing game.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 12, 2012, 04:10:49 pm »

While not a mindreader, I would assume it would be so that Geb could realize her dream of replicating that crossbow.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 12, 2012, 06:16:46 pm »

Enable meat cleavers! Give it to all chefs!
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #418 on: May 12, 2012, 09:13:20 pm »

Late summer, year 56

The table really wasn't very comfortable. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Athra shifted position, trying to find a comfortable position.  He had been working in his private chambers for weeks, chiseling the few large chunks of stone he'd managed to carve out of the rock into usable furniture.  The first few doors he'd made were crude, but served the purpose of closing the passage to his rooms, and blocking the rooms off from each other.  He'd managed to build the rest of the items he needed - tables and chairs, cabinets and chests, and even a few statues - and had put a few pieces in place before exhaustion overtook him.

The first night in his new quarters wasn't going as well as he'd like.  He turned over again.  No way around it, he was going to have to head up to the surface for some logs and build himself a bed.

Up in her quarters, Geb watched the human ambassador leave.  Self-important bastard in his purple clothing, who insisted on being referred to as 'law-giver'.  She'd heard tales from her mother that the humans, known by all the dwarves to be not all that bright, would sometimes be tricked by a demon escaped from the underworld.  The demon would fool the humans into thinking it was a god, or messenger from the god or something, and they would make it their ruler.  They'd tend to take on impressive titles like 'master' or 'law-giver' or 'holy flame' or whatever.

The diplomat who had just left was not one of those.  He was merely a human who acted as if everyone should worship him.  He hadn't actually made any demands or trade agreements - just waltzed in, introduced himself, made some comments on the architecture, then left.

On the next evening, Athra slept a far more restful sleep, in a bed he had made himself.  The carpentry was crude, far inferior to CoraiUnki's, but as the legendary carpenter was busy on some secret project, nobody had even noticed as Athra took some lumber and made a bed for himself.

Alpha Laboratories research notes:

While extending an exploratory mineshaft the mining team reported an unusual mineral discovery.  Initial reports that the miners had discovered a vein of the rare and coveted Adamantine were proven false after examination of the stones, and attributed to over-enthusiasm on the part of the miners.  The stone, labeled 'Chrysotile', has a fibrous structure similar to Adamantine, but the rock fibers are brittle and cannot be removed as continuous strands.

The resemblance of the extracted fibers to wool suggests that it may be possible to spin them into thread instead.  As the fibers do not need to be removed as intact strands, a method has been devised to crush the rocks instead.  This should release the fibers quickly and easily in mass.

Once a sufficient quantity of crushed fiber is available, we will experiment with forming it into thread.

What this place needs, Athra thought, is a bit of polish.  It's a lovely suite, but the rock will need to be properly smoothed if I'm going to really be proud of this place.

Like every step of the project so far, the going was slow, the work being far more difficult than the other dwarves had made it look.  Athra persevered.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 12, 2012, 09:18:06 pm »

I love being a legendary carpenter!

PS: Graknorke, can I have a battle-axe as my weapon? I assume your the leader of the expedition, and thus decides who gets what.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 44