Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154942 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #315 on: May 05, 2012, 03:14:47 pm »

I seem to have run into a bit of a bug.  Nobody will help Daenyth.  He's been moved to the hospital, but nobody will perform diagnosis on him.  I suspect that being interrupted while trying to rest triggered the bug where a dwarf will never be helped because he's not counted as resting in bed.  Tried deconstructing the bed and forcing him to be moved to another one.  Didn't help.  Does anyone know of a workaround for this bug?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 05, 2012, 03:17:16 pm »

I kknow three ways.

Release a wild elephant into his room.

Release MAGMA.

Hurt him to re-start the process.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 05, 2012, 03:18:10 pm »

Seems to be working now.  I deconstructed the bed and forced him to move to another one.  I unassigned the hospital zone and then reassigned it.  I took him out of the military and put him back in.  Some combination of those fixed it, Cain is working on him now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 05, 2012, 03:32:01 pm »

Damnit Cain, you beardless Elf, get in here and help me!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 05, 2012, 03:33:23 pm »

howmany pots do we have.

oh, by the way, i think that guy needs a doctor.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 05, 2012, 03:39:23 pm »

I'll reveal a secret. Ever since the giraffes, I've been keeping a list of the animal types in the fort, divided into two categories:   "to hug" and  "to turn into crossbows".

Occasionally the crossbow list has caused me trouble. I have yet to figure out how to turn crab chitin into a decent spring, and it's too weak for mechanisms.

Now I'm more worried about the hug list. Giant snakes go on that side of course, but... scary, scary venom glands. I think I'll stay away from them until Cilob is very sure of his training there. If he can handle those snakes, he will have proved he's worthy of the dungeon master title.

CountAlex

• Bay Watcher
  • SpoonMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 05, 2012, 03:50:27 pm »

Just wonderful! Great storytelling.

Also, can i claim dwarf? I'd prefer male one either big family related or not. Call him Count (hope it doesn't bother with story-otherwise call him Uranis) and make him do metal crafts(neither armor nor weapons) or balcksmithing.
Adventures of brave Likot Udendeb in pictures
Urist McLegendary likes adamantine, steel, mugs and noobs for their questions. He absolutely detests trolls.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 06, 2012, 01:13:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
would you mind terribly posting the pages for my wife and child please?
It'd help me get into character. Also, who my child hangs out with would be nice too.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 06, 2012, 01:35:37 am »

How fares McWhale? I hope he's getting into fishing and just spending all his time fidgeting with his mace.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 06, 2012, 10:09:18 am »

Higginbottoms journal

today whilst standing guard for the traders i spotted the ugliest, biggest and quite frankly stinkiest elf i have ever seen, when he started to approach the gate i had no choice but to end the pitiful abominations existence, so i smashed in the foot with me trusty flail, then the weirdest thing happened two voices started screamin from above me, this elf had two heads whilst i waslaughing at just how ugly they where when it started to run... icouldnt have that so i sprinted after it smashing at its back with me flail, as it tripped down a hill inod slashed it with his claws and clearly showed he had forgotten the ways of the elves and become a true mountain dweller, anyway long story short it died. and i got a brand new !SOCK!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 06, 2012, 11:06:57 am »

Damnit Cain, you beardless Elf, get in here and help me!

Though delayed, the doctor is working overtime now.

And about my Goblin Friend.......

You now have a stripped-naked goblin prisoner in a cage in your bedroom.  That's the closest I can get to giving you a goblin pet.

howmany pots do we have.

Strangely, the Stocks list doesn't seem to have a category for rock pots, so I can't get an actual count.

would you mind terribly posting the pages for my wife and child please?
It'd help me get into character. Also, who my child hangs out with would be nice too.

First, Dex's relations.  Dex does not have any close friends, just a handful of acquaintances.

Dex's wife is a Mason.

She also doesn't have any close friends.

Dex and his wife have one of the newer rooms in the main bedroom complex.  It's still minimally furnished, not having cabinets yet.

Your daughter...

sometimes attends parties held in the great dining hall.

but also has no close friends, though she is acquainted with half the fortress.

Dex has lately been working on mining out the new areas over the magma smithery, while his wife is working on constructing the fishing pier.

How fares McWhale? I hope he's getting into fishing and just spending all his time fidgeting with his mace.

He's a little annoyed at the large roach in a cage somewhere (I need to find that and do something with it) and wants some of his clothing replaced (Erush needs to make some new gloves and robes now that he has cloth again).

Also, can i claim dwarf? I'd prefer male one either big family related or not. Call him Count (hope it doesn't bother with story-otherwise call him Uranis) and make him do metal crafts(neither armor nor weapons) or balcksmithing.

Tricky.  The only unclaimed male dwarves we have are Rovod Berdanurist, Mason, and Urdim Uzolmonang, Farmer.  Both of them are members of the family, with wives and children.  Neither of them is a metalcrafter, but since we have no metalcrafters anyway I can give that job to them.  We may also get immigrants soon too, since I increased the population cap, although that might take a year to kick in.

As a complete side note, Ceilan was training a war honey badger lately.  I just thought that was cool.

CountAlex

• Bay Watcher
  • SpoonMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 06, 2012, 01:02:01 pm »

Tricky.  The only unclaimed male dwarves we have are Rovod Berdanurist, Mason, and Urdim Uzolmonang, Farmer.  Both of them are members of the family, with wives and children.  Neither of them is a metalcrafter, but since we have no metalcrafters anyway I can give that job to them.  We may also get immigrants soon too, since I increased the population cap, although that might take a year to kick in.

Ok, let's just wait for some newbies to arrive.

Adventures of brave Likot Udendeb in pictures
Urist McLegendary likes adamantine, steel, mugs and noobs for their questions. He absolutely detests trolls.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 06, 2012, 01:10:51 pm »

Diary of Corai, Entry five

Hi diary! Im baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! And I have a frieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeend!

Oh god, help me. This insane freak is keeping me hostage, PLEASE. HELP ME. HELP ME, PLEASE!

That was him! Hes my friend! He likes to play bad-guy, trying to leave. We all know that he cant leave! Hahahahah! Silly goblin! Well, Cain got a little lazy recently and left Daenyth to rot for awhile, guess noone saw him! Haha! I told Cain about it and he went on about how theres noone there, then I turned him around, and he was shocked to see Daenyth sleeping there.

In other news, we also proved that Horseshoe Crab blood is blue, like the myths say! Since Graknorke discovered this, all the girls are gonna be clamoring over him! Who wouldnt wanna marry a famous champion?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 06, 2012, 01:23:34 pm »

Ok, let's just wait for some newbies to arrive.

Good choice...

2nd Felsite

Thank the mountainhomes, we have immigrants!  A few years ago I would have dreaded to see this, but today some 19 new dwarves showed up at the entrance, asking to join our fortress.  And by some amazing luck, only one of them was a child!  We can sorely use this influx of workers, and we have food and bedrooms to spare.

Looking over the list of immigrants, I'm struck by a really surprising fact.  A suspicious number of them have been to our fortress before, as members of trade caravans.  Explains how they knew of our fortress and how to get here, but I'm really taken with the fact that such a high number of the dwaves who visit our fortress on official business later decide to live here.

Three of our former outpost liaisons have moved here now.  We have Vucar Adaskeskal first.  Her only non-social skill is beekeeping, which won't be much ue here, but she's very social and should get along well.  Then there's Iteb Ralukurdim.  She has some skill with Animal Training.  Finally Iden Ushulmomuz.  She claims to be a Hunter, although I had to explain to her that we mostly trap-and-domesticate here.

There are five former Traders here as citizens now, looking for new jobs.  Moldath Imushilun as some skills in architecture.  Amost Areltun is a Novice Potash Maker.  Deler Gimsigun has some medical experience, he can help out Cain in the hospital.  Zefon Kivishkegeth says he once operated Siege Engines.  Iteth Tathurral is a Furnace Operator - she can help out in the new magma forges.

Of our other eleven immigrants, Urist Ostarmedtob stands out.  He gave his profession as Lye Maker, but on further questioning admitted to being a Competent Metal Crafter.  Excellent, that's a skill we're lacking at the moment.  He came with his 8 year old daughter, Tobul Morulsuvas, but refused to answer when asked who her mother was.

I also took notice of Avuz Udeshdastot.  He seems a mopey and sad fellow, but has significant skill with operating siege engines. 

Deler Kubukud says she's just a Peasant, but she has more skill with a war hammer than most of our soldiers.  She's going into the military for sure.

Mistem Sazirelis introduced herself as a High Master Wound Dresser and Surgeon.  She also claims to be an Engraver - says it's just like surgery, but with less screaming.

Handful of others too.  I've jotted down notes on the entire group below.

OOC:  I had to use the new DFHack tweak fixmigrants plugin five times in this immigrant wave to fix stuck 'Trader' immigrants.  Thanks to whoever created that!

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 06, 2012, 02:14:54 pm »

I say, How is the work on my room comming along?
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 44