Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154791 times)

Lupusater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #285 on: May 02, 2012, 04:30:33 pm »

I call dibs on war wolves.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 02, 2012, 04:52:45 pm »

I call dibs on war wolves.

Can I train them?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 02, 2012, 08:14:03 pm »

Quote from: Corai
I.....am perfectly......sane........

Corai was found muttering this to himself over and over in the dining room. Avoiding anyone that worked in the caverns, Cain found himself being slapped soon after trying to give therapy, it snapped Corai back to normal.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 02, 2012, 08:54:08 pm »

ooc: Tofurkeys? Wha? do they have organs at least, or are they some kind of horrible, mobile, lardlike Giant Sponges?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ah, good, then they can still be dismembered and used as lethal throwing weapons by our army.

Can Giant Sponges be tamed as guards for an underwater entrance? We might be on the way to war whales, but Sponges could be useful as essentially stationary gun turrets. Pasture a few in a drained area around a sea entrance, then quickly reflood to avoid dry drowning? (having not successfully dry-drowned anything before, I'm a bit hazy on how fast that takes.)
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Triskelli

• Bay Watcher
  • A man of wealth and taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 02, 2012, 09:53:11 pm »

Can Giant Sponges be tamed as guards for an underwater entrance? We might be on the way to war whales, but Sponges could be useful as essentially stationary gun turrets. Pasture a few in a drained area around a sea entrance, then quickly reflood to avoid dry drowning? (having not successfully dry-drowned anything before, I'm a bit hazy on how fast that takes.)

I doubt it, since in order to tame an animal you have to get it inside a cage first, and unless you designate the cage to be placed on top of the sponge I don't see how it would trigger a trap.

Can I get a Fisherdwarf?  Name him "Kelli", make sure he loves the ocean (and hopefully unrelated to the sprawling family tree).  More than happy to catch whatever monster of the deep you need.  "Even wrestled with a legendary carp by gum!  Had killed 7 dwarves already, but I jumped in after 'im and pulled it out by me beard.  I figger I can handle one o' these whales if I need ta."

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 02, 2012, 11:49:12 pm »

I doubt it, since in order to tame an animal you have to get it inside a cage first, and unless you designate the cage to be placed on top of the sponge I don't see how it would trigger a trap.

I was thinking about how catching a sponge could work and thought of a couple potenial solutions. As i have never encountered a sponge in dwarf mode i do not know if it would work.... perhaps the theorys could be tested in Brightwater? (assuming there are any sponges)

1. Sponges are only capable of moving atonomously when dodging. It might be possible to build cage traps near the sponge then have your military attack. The sponge will dodge into the traps. This however it be pretty tricky to place the traps if the sponge is scaring your dwarves. Perhaps blind dwarves.

2. Assuming sponges can be moved by flow, one could place traps behind floodgates. Then open the floodgates and wash the unsuspecting sponge into the traps. this could also prove tricky due to fearfull workers.

3. Dig a camber directly under the sponge, Place floodgates around the sponge in the chamber, Place cage traps in the chamber behind the floodgates. Then have a dwarf channel out the sponge from below (can dwarves cannel upwards?). The sponge will fall and be caught in the traps.

A war giant sponge would prove a formidable creature. completely unkillable, always vigalant, able to defeat entire seigies through sheer exaustion. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:55:05 pm by Maxmurder »
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 03, 2012, 12:20:57 am »

Cheif Medical Officer's Log, Brightwater, Cain

Strange happenings as of late. The good thing is that Rakust is up and walking, because of things have mostly returned to normal. I was assigned my first nurse today. He is a former Farmer who is either mad or attempting to become a (Thanks to Geb for posting an image for me to steal).

Two days ago he was calling himself Phenos, now he's Kylin, claiming it is some ancient family name or something. Whatever, he seems capable and certainly shows much promise.

As I was heading to Alpha Labs today I found an amulet of Corai's so I endeavored to return it to him. I found Corai in the dining room, squatting in the corner, with one of those strange tofurkeys on his head talking to a masterwork engraving of a sock. After attempting to rouse him several times, he finally stopped, turned slowly to look at me, smiled, then slapped me. Wordlessly I handed him his kobold bone amulet of a kobold. Upon its return he seemed to come back to his normal self, greeted me cheerily and left the room. Corai may need to be observed even more strictly in the future. If worst comes to worst, we'll have to isolate him in one of the wards in Alpha Laboratories.

Our experients on Goblins have been continuing and the extreme environment rooms are nearly complete. Soon we will know so much more about our accursed foes, and the more we know the easier they will be to deal with.

As usual, sublimely joyful to be me.
Cain
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 03, 2012, 08:25:44 am »

There's time for the occasional bit of personal research in between making crossbows. I've uncovered new animal handling data that the mountainhomes could make good use of.

Through dedicated effort and a knowledge of ballistic mechanisms, I have discovered that you can't appreciate geese for their formation flying while they are in an underground corridor.

It remains a bad idea even if you take the geese out of the cages first.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 03, 2012, 09:53:14 am »

Please enable the fishing labour on Urist McWhale! Make sure you have a zone designated by the ocean. Maybe make a long pire into the ocean , if that works
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #294 on: May 03, 2012, 02:51:08 pm »

Please enable the fishing labour on Urist McWhale! Make sure you have a zone designated by the ocean. Maybe make a long pire into the ocean , if that works
That's not a bad idea - fish is great brain food, and dwarves need all of the brains they can get.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #295 on: May 03, 2012, 03:01:31 pm »

A massive fishing pier, which incorporates clever use of grates to protect fisherdwarves, is already under construction.  This will when completed reach to the far corners of the embark, and in theory should permit access to all four savage ocean biomes on the site.  I'll make sure to enable fishing on Urist McWhale as soon as I can get back to the fortress (possibly Friday, if not then this weekend).  And the first trap chamber for catching creature-sized fish is almost ready to put into operation, as soon as Quietust finishes installing the final cage traps.

There will be no giant sponges appearing.  Before starting I modded sponges out completely, on account of them being horribly broken and not handled at all correctly in DF.  Sorry.  Didn't want to see half the fortress killed while completely pointlessly trying to attack a sponge.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 03, 2012, 04:20:04 pm »

As good a ending as anything!
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 03, 2012, 06:47:24 pm »

Did I start out with hammerdwarf skill? Or have I not been making enough swords?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 03, 2012, 07:33:17 pm »

Cain, I sneaked a glimpse at this on a school computer.

Thanks alot! I got yelled at because of you.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #299 on: May 03, 2012, 08:53:21 pm »

Did I start out with hammerdwarf skill? Or have I not been making enough swords?

Daenyth started out as a hammerdwarf, but has been using a sword for some time now.  You just haven't gotten enough skill with the sword to change your job title yet.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44