Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154841 times)

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #225 on: April 28, 2012, 09:34:56 pm »

If Obsese doesn't want Tirist due to his size, I'll have him.

No, I decided that Tirist would be the perfect dwarf for my elf-loving dwarf of blasphemy. His width doesn't even match his name.

Hopefully he will exercise little enough to get fatter. . . .

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #226 on: April 28, 2012, 09:51:15 pm »

If Obsese doesn't want Tirist due to his size, I'll have him.

No, I decided that Tirist would be the perfect dwarf for my elf-loving dwarf of blasphemy. His width doesn't even match his name.

Hopefully he will exercise little enough to get fatter. . . .

Here you go.  I'll try to fatten him up for you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've given him a wooden spear, and a mixture of wooden and leather armor.

I think that's everyone who requested dwarfing for now.  Now to get back to actually playing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 29, 2012, 12:25:55 pm »

12 kids?! Damn I have bad family planning.  :P

And make sure you have your narration label me as potentially dangerous and to be alienated. Because who likes an elf lover?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 29, 2012, 03:07:40 pm »

Cilob's Journal - early summer of year 55

The elves are here, trading peacefully.  After that incident with the elven spy - I know they claim he was a diplomat, but who knows what he saw on the way in and out? - we're keeping a close eye on them.

Sure, they seem cheerful, but I'll never trust the elves.  No matter how happy they seem.

Unfortunately, this time we actually need them.  The loss of the fall caravan means we're short of several key supplies.  While we have the ability to produce our own cloth, we can't possibly supply enough to keep up with Erush's clothing production lines.

At least now I won't have to listen to him complain about being out of cloth.  Just the inferior quality of elven weave.  He'll adapt.

I have also received an anonymous request for some surface plants.

Some sort of elven specialty crop, I gather.  I also have a request pending for Sun Berries, but the local elves have never heard of them.

Finally, our military has requested some kind of giant war hawk.  The elves don't have those either, but they were carrying something close.

Close enough, I think.  I'll see if I can train them into war animals.

Whatever you say, elf. 

We really need better security here.  I'm starting to think that having the trading depot in the middle of the crafting-hall was not such a good idea.  It's convenient, sure, having the goods stockpiles right next to the depot, but there are elves wandering all around and poking their heads in everywhere.  It's a good thing that none of the elves has ever shown the mechanical aptitude to figure out a crossbow, or I'd have to post guards on Geb's workshops.

As it is, I'm glad my animal training labs are off in a side alley, behind the hospital, where elves never go.

Speaking of the animals, I found something strange, and disturbing, lately, when I went to check on our captured Rhinoceroses.

This was our only female, who I had hoped to base a breeding program around.  She and three males had been sitting in cages in the outdoor holding area ever since we caught them.  Now, I'm no fool.  I know that rhinos will only survive in the wild.  They need to retain their wild instincts in order to remember how to not need to eat.  If you tame them, they get used to having food, and then they starve.  Left wild, she shouldn't have starved - she should have been fine, just like the two giraffes we have in the dining room.  So what happened?  Did someone go against my orders and tame her?  I'll have to ask around.

Clever girl that she is, Geb had asked to have some animal traps made earlier.  I remember my first animal trap, so many years ago, back in the Mountainhomes when I was just a child.  I haven't had a chance to use one on a very long time, since I moved on to the giant animals I'm taming now.  I took one of the ones she made, and seems I still remember how to use them.  I managed to catch a little furry creature who was trying to get into the seed stockpiles.  (Perhaps that's why the sweet pod seeds keep vanishing?  We have cats guarding the stockpiles, but somehow the seed stockpiles keep vanishing).  I decided to put it in that fancy cage she has in her room as a surprise.  Well, didn't work quite as well as I'd hoped.

I had forgotten they could do that.  Got right out of that cage, didn't hold it at all.  I'm pretty sure it's still in her room somewhere - the door is solid stone, it can't gnaw through that.

Athra, a pleasant young fellow who recently came of age, came to me asking for permission for a private project.  Seems he wants to dig out some private space and decorate it himself.  I told him to run it by Phenix, make sure that it wouldn't interfere with any of the plans she and Cain have for that 'Alpha Laboratories' place they're building, and to hand over any gems he found to Rachel.  That's when he told me he already did that, but there weren't any spar picks for him to use.  Ha!  I'll ask Daenyth to make some, it'll be a nice break from making swords for the military.

He won't be able to use the new magma smithery yet.  Construction of that is still coming along.  Phenix tells me her masons are finishing the process of installing the magma channels under the future smithing floor.

Once the channels are finished we'll be able to have someone run the pump and fill the chambers.  Then we can seal off the passage to the magma pipe, at least for the time being.

Speaking of the military ... I have recently received a detailed suggestion for an isolated fortress within the fortress, where "five or so elite dwarves" will be sealed up along with food and war hawks, to train with each other.  Sigh.  I wish we had the spare dwarfpower to do this at the moment, but we can't at this time afford to let that many dwarves off normal duties.  Especially considering that our best metalsmiths are already in the military.

Besides which, if the military are isolated, how can they be called out to defend the fortress?  We need the military to be able to reach the front gates at a moment's notice.

Still, it is true that the military could use some organization.  I'll ask Phenix to start working on dedicated living and dining quarters for the military dwarves, that can be isolated if required, yet where they can also easily reach the front gates.  Perhaps something involving those two circular towers they're already building alongside the gate.  Unfortunately, the most ideal locations are all blocked by aquifers.

I am also worried about some possibly personality conflicts among members of our military.  One fellow - going by the odd name of Higginbottom III - has been professing his hatred of the surface dwellers.  He's picked up a flail, and is saying how eager he is to use it on any kobolds or goblins, or even any elves or humans that step out of line.  Now, that by itself is not a problem.  Problem is another fellow, going by the name of ObeseHelmet.  Scrawny guy, despite the name.  He's enamored with the elves, and has picked up a wooden spear as his chosen weapon.  I don't know where he even got the wooden spear, Corai didn't make it.  I'm sure there will be bloodshed if I put these too together, which is another reason we can't go ahead with the sealed military fortress plan.

Oh, and along with that plan, there was another idea.  A sealed fishing area.  Absurd!  The very point of Brightwater is to claim the ocean itself.  We will be extending a fishing pier out into the ocean, as long from the shore as the curtain wall is wide.

The walls and grates will protect our dwarves, while letting them dip their beards to catch fish.  It will take some time to finish, but once it is our fisherdwarves will be able to harvest fish safely from far out at sea.

Meanwhile, the first whale-trapping chamber is coming along.  Our mechanic Quietust has been working non-stop building cage traps.

When the traps are finished and the chamber sealed, we will breach the final conglomerite walls from above and flood the chamber.  Whales and other large fish will be able to venture inside and be caught in the traps.  Once the traps are full, we will raise bridges and pump the water out allowing them to be harvested.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 29, 2012, 03:52:58 pm »

A little more varied work? Excellent. Are you sure I can't make a spear or two for that ObeseHelmet guy, though? It pains me to think of him running around with a toothpick like that when he should have fine Dwarven steel instead... Alright, alright..

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 29, 2012, 06:18:47 pm »

Animal encounters I

The dwarf Higginbottom III, sworn enemy of the surface-dwellers, was performing an unpleasant but necessary labor, that technically counted as an action against the hated surface-dwellers.  He was removing a cage from a cage trap, so the trap could be reloaded with a new cage, and the animal in the cage could be processed.  It was unpleasant because it required him to go out on the surface for a reason other than to kill something.  It counted as an act against the surface-dwellers, because the rhinoceros in the cage he was carrying would soon be processed into bone and hide for crossbows, bolts, and armor.

As Higginbottom III carried the remarkably heavy rhinoceros cage back down the entrance road (lifting with his knees, not with his back) there was a rustling in the disgusting surface plants off the side of the road. Some vast scaly was rooting through the underbrush, a slimy worm-like tongue probing for food.

Higginbottom III dropped the cage, and pulled out his flail.  Now would be his chance to kill a surface-dwelling monster!

The creature ambled onto the road in front of him, sniffing at the conglomrate flagstones.  It paused, as it finally saw Higginbottom III.  They faced off across the skeleton of a long-dead kobold, long since smashed flat and ground into the road by wagon wheels.

Higginbottom III raised his flail and charged, screaming.  The towering scaly monster, four times his mass, with claws capable of tearing open the nests of giant termites, responded to the challenge by immediately rolling into a ball.

Higginbottom III continued his charge, flail raised to tear the scales from the monster.

Sensing that its attempt to hide wasn't working, the pangolin uncurled, and then immediately turned and ran.

Terrified, the creature veered left, trying to reach the relative cover of a group of nearby trees.  It didn't make it.  As soon as it left the road, it stepped onto another cage trap, instantly becoming trapped in another cage.

"Dammit!  That's cheating!  Come out and fight me!"  Higginbottom III whacked his flail against the side of the cage, uselessly.

Erush was glad to be back working full-time at his shop.  The elf-made cloth was inferior to what the dwarves or even humans would bring, and he was really missing working with silk.  If only the last year's caravan hadn't been scared off!  Still, even with inferior cloth, he was still enough of a genius to make masterful clothing.

He just wished he could do something about the color.

That ObeseHelmet guy was really keen to get some of the elf-cloth.  Kind of creepy, actually.

"Cilob?  What the heck are you doing up there?"

"Training a giant sparrow, of course.  Oh, when you get a chance, ask Phenix to build me a ramp so I can get down?"

Cain checked the child's forehead again.  Still unconscious, still fighting to recover from the terrible injuries she'd suffered.  He'd removed her bandages to clean her healing wounds twice so far.  He'd keep doing this as long as it took.

"So, it's a mug, made of salt?"

"Yep!"

"Datan, that's the most useless thing I've heard of.  Nobody can drink from a salt mug.  Why did you make such a pointless thing?"

"Cause it was funny!"

Animal Encounters II

"Invasion!  The fortress is under attack!"

Cilob called down from the fortress wall where he'd managed to strand himself again.

"Call the militia to drive them away!"

Va'al, Phones, and Jacen the Soap Crusader came charging out of the fortress gates.  From the yelling, they were expecting goblins, or maybe unusually bold kobolds.  The for that faced them was not quite so dangerous.

"What, those things?  Are you mad?  They're harmless."

"They're useless, is what they are"  Cilob replied,  "Can't eat them, can't use them for war, they breed like mad.  I don't want to bother taming them, and I don't want them using up cages that could be holding more valuable creatures.  Just drive them away from the cage traps."

The soldiers shrugged and went to work.  The cavies screamed and scattered.  Va'al caught up with the herd first, and set about slashing the creatures apart with disturbing enthusiasm.

Phones followed behind, more to watch out if anything more dangerous appeared.  He turned, looking around.  Where the heck was Jacen?

Far to the south, Jacen had found a more worthy opponent.  A giant carnivorous lizard, large enough to swallow a dwarf with a single bite.  It was just barely managing to stay ahead of him - and was starting to consider just turning around and fighting back instead.

"That thing will tear him apart.  Come on, Va'al, we'd better help him out."

By this time, Jacen had chased the creature around in a circle, and was heading back towards the fortress entrance.  Phones approached the creature from the front, while Va'al circled around to back Jacen up.

The Giant Monitor Lizard had been just about to turn and attack the annoying little creature chasing it, but the arrival of another shifted the odds.  It resumed running, only to spot a third in its path.  It tried to run past the metal-clad dwarf.  This was a mistake.

Behind them, the scattered cavies cautiously gathered back together, trying to reform their herd.  Unfortunately for them, they gathered on the cage traps at the fortress entrance, many of them being captured.

Up on the ramparts, Cilob shook his head.  "Useless creatures.  Let someone else train them, I have a giant pangolin to tame."

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 29, 2012, 07:22:14 pm »

thoughts upon receiving the orders to train them:

"Fuck.  That.  Butcher the damn things, we don't need them.  Give me something that we actually need trained I mean, come on overseer...best go see if he needs any help with training..."

In other words, I'd like something more productive then pets for the children.  :-\

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 29, 2012, 07:29:19 pm »

Don't worry, you're getting to train other things too.  Cilob only reserves the giant sparrows for himself.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 29, 2012, 07:32:59 pm »

Can I haz Cavy. :3

There adorable.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 29, 2012, 08:46:29 pm »

Alpha Laboratories Experimental Report:
On an investigation into the potential for goblinoid flight

Purpose:

The fortress of Brightwater is defended by a low curtain wall which encloses a region of the coastline, ensuring that access by foot is only possible through one well-defended, narrow entrance.  This has so far presented a secure defense against any creature not capable of flight or entry by sea.

Creatures capable of flight (including giant wrens and thrips) and of swimming (including crabs) have demonstrated the ability to bypass the fortress walls and enter the secured area.  So far, these creatures have not presented a significant threat.

Our fortress defenses hold secure against goblins due to the fact that no goblin has yet demonstrated either the power of flight or amphibious abilities.  Should the goblins develop these abilities, the primary defenses of the fortress would be compromised.

This experiment is intended to evaluate captive goblins in order to determine if they show any indication of developing precursor abilities required for flight.  It is theorized that true flight abilities would be preceded by the development of gliding membranes, feathers, organic parachutes, webbed fingers, or similar adaptions for surviving longer falls.  These would be experimentally detectable as goblins with these pre-adaptions would fall more slowly than goblins without them.

Methods:

A number of goblins not required for other experimental purposes were stripped of all gear and placed in an experimental chamber, as shown:

The goblins were transported to a release chamber via cages.  A remote lever was used to open all the goblin cages simultaneously.  The goblins were then encouraged to move onto a retracing bridge located over a naturally occurring chasm.

The height of the chasm was chosen to give a time of fall sufficient for any gliding ability to be easily detectable.

After the goblins had all moved onto the experimental platform, the platform was retracted to release all the goblins simultaneously into the test chamber.

Results:

The goblins were all released simultaneously.  The initial lateral spread of the subjects was within expected ranges.

Because of the random motion imparted by the retracting bridge, the goblins did not all begin to fall at the same moment.  Some of them began falling before others, resulting in a vertical spread among the falling subjects.

Rather than evaluating the time of impact of each goblin, the overall three dimensional pattern of all the subjects was carefully observed.  Any goblin which fell slower than the others would have moved out of place relative to the other goblins.  This was not observed.  Instead, the relative position of all goblins was maintained as the group fell, up until the point where they impacted the rocks at the base of the experimental chamber.

Some body fragments were thrown out on random paths after the initial impact.  These were not observed carefully, as we are not at this time concerned that goblins might develop body parts which are only capable of flight after being severed.

Conclusion:

None of the subjects yet tested has shown any indications of any ability to control or reduce their rate of fall, or control their path when falling.  This suggests that the goblin race is not likely to develop the power of flight in the near future.  It is however recommended that this experiment be repeated periodically.

Further experiments into the aquatic abilities of goblins are forthcoming.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 29, 2012, 10:57:25 pm »

Any chance of a rendition of the movie Birds any time soon?  :P

Also, dwarfing request:

Male, named Ash, a swordsdwarf if one is available, a marksdwarf if not.

Don't really care about the whole bloodline business. :)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 29, 2012, 10:58:20 pm »

This started as a fishing fort.

Now its a military outpost.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 30, 2012, 01:59:33 am »

This started as a fishing fort.

Now its a military outpost.

Dwarves don't make a distinction.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lupusater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 30, 2012, 12:31:31 pm »

Va'al 's log:
Cilob made us slaughter cavies. First the giant sparrows, and now small mouses. At least trying to chop their legs off is a great exercise for fine sword-eye coordination. Oh, and the captain killed a giant lizard. I hope we get assigned some scary critter like that to help kill things.

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 30, 2012, 01:08:35 pm »

Higginbottoms journal

the other day i was out gathering some meat (i heard cilob call it a rhino) but whateva its still edible, anyway there i was hauling this big damn cage when all of a sudden this odd scaly beast wanders out of the tall moss (i think its called grass not sure) and looked me right in the eye, now i couldnt call myself a dwarf if i didnt immedietly think how nice its shiny scales would look on a new bathrobe when all of a sudden it rolled into a ball, i was amazed  i can tell you so i started hitting the damned creature to no avail so i stopped a second to catch my breath and the b*stard unrolled and ran right into a cage, damn creature hiding like an elf....

so anyways been thinking of asking cilob to give me that beast so i can teach it how to act like a true mountain lord.

oh yeah and that damn elf lovers been talking to me again i swear if he even comes near me one more time ill rip out his beard and feed him that stupid wooden stick he is always carrying about.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:10:58 pm by BeserkNINJA »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44