Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 58

Author Topic: Roll to Explore the Dungeon: Ch.2 T.38: Do you even praise the King?  (Read 120494 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Explore the Dungeon! Turn Sixteen: PARTY SCRAMBLE
« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2012, 10:41:27 am »

Gather as much residue magic as possible into a small leather pouch!

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 17, 2012, 11:13:33 am »

"Unh... er... HEY!  Those are mine!  You can't take those!  At least not without helping me pay off my debt!  Ok?"
Grab Ratherio's hand while he's distracted and shake it.
"Deal!  Ok, we'll split the cost 50/50.  Thanks for your cooperation!"
Turn back to the golem.
"As much as it galls me to do this..."
Make a very small explosion centred on Elizabeth's cockpit.  Small enough not to hit my teammates.  Much.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 17, 2012, 11:22:34 am »

"Ow. Thanks." Apollo blushes and gets off of the zombie girl. Seeing the magic spilling out of the damaged construct, he adopts a magicy stance and saps the energy from the golem, to enchant his rifle.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:40:55 am by Spinal_Taper »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 17, 2012, 11:39:16 am »

Elenor sighs. He is not fond of shockwaves. He is not fond of golems. He is starting to absolutely despise magic and everything related to it. In fact, the battle is about to end and he could not care less. The knight just props himself against a nearby wall to watch the final acts of the miserably poor show happening on the Boss Arena, not even taking his painkiller potion because it is not a serious battle and he'll be saving that for later.

Elenor stands up, moves even further away from the golem, moves his feet in a diagonal position while lifting his shield and returns to the disciplined example of a defensive stance. If the battle is not yet over, he attempts to taunt Elizabeth. If she actually manages to hear it through her rage and go for him, he strikes back. Nastily. If shit ensues instead, he tries to block and roll with the attack. Just for the record, blocking and rolling is a way of softening the impact of an attack by moving with its momentum instead of against it (I still want some agi :V).

"Elizabeth. I am very disappointed indeed. Maybe you have become fat and slow due to all those chips."

((If this keeps going on he won't even take defensive positions and the such, because he'll gather enough medium awareness to discover no matter if he is naked and upside down, his dodging chances and the damage he receives will always be the same.))
((Well, still no way in hell he'll stop being a pragmatist.))
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:10:41 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 17, 2012, 12:23:00 pm »

((I guess now it is time to ask: Are our skills only for flavor?))

Not... quite. Basically, you can't cast magic you don't have the school for (beyond very basic level), Elenor can't use any magic at all. Similarily, that stuff Ratherio pulls off while dodging? He has agility as one of his skills, so he gets to be much more slippery. (Note to self: Remember that Remy is even more slippery.) Hell, a Gunchuck Master wouldn't autobondage at all.
You really might have noticed I am rather anal when it comes to the magic system. That's because it's one of the few things that are more regulated in this game.
I basically do not tweak the rolls you get by adding or subtracting factors, because I believe that isn't the right way. By my style of GMing, the Partial Success of a Archmage when casting spells is much different than what an Initiate would do with the same roll and the same spell. (Namely, the higher your skill, the lesser the impact of a bad roll. Good rolls are usually similar except when the Initiate gets in over his head.) And when the Archmage overshoots, he overshoots on a whole different level.
Another example: Elenor was caught hard by the shockwave because his action was about at the same time as the Golem's. Apollo got caught because he's Apollo. Remy was bound, and he would always have been caught in some way.
Furthermore, you have already thought of certain adventurer classes or whatnot when making characters - so you will usually do what you are good at already. If not, well - you get worse/less satisfactory results. The downside of this system is that it is much more arbitrary - please deal with that, I haven't found a better system that suits my tastes as GM to date.
And an aspect of that arbitration is that Elenor now will benefit from Defensive Stances in some way. Have fun!
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 17, 2012, 12:31:08 pm »

((Then I would like to require changing my Dodging skill to Agility, since it seems like Dodging is the underdogged, shunned upon and spat on version of Agility. I would also like to note that Fencing in Elenor's character sheet is a tad different from Swordsmanship.
And furthermore, deciding on applying a bonus after he was splatted against a wall whilst holding said defensive position inside masterwork armor - to no effect - seems kind of strange. Edit: Nevermind, init rolls stuff, I guess.
Question: He was the one farthest from the golem (aside from SpiderTaren), so init actually has more say-so on the outcome?

Also: Edited out, nevermind, I realized I just wanted Elenor to be different from the rest :P)

Note: Remy just got those Gunchucks, it is not like he is a master. Remember he grabbed them before the adventure inside the dungeon started?)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:41:13 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 17, 2012, 12:54:23 pm »

((Then I would like to require changing my Dodging skill to Agility, since it seems like Dodging is the underdogged, shunned upon and spat on version of Agility. I would also like to note that Fencing in Elenor's character sheet is a tad different from Swordsmanship.
And furthermore, deciding on applying a bonus after he was splatted against a wall whilst holding said defensive position inside masterwork armor - to no effect - seems kind of strange.
Question: He was the one farthest from the golem (aside from SpiderTaren), so init actually has more say-so on the outcome?

Also: I guess trying to go for the only non-magical character was not exactly the best idea in a magic-biased fantasy game. Meh.))

You have one or two points in there.
Elenor was basically thrown up and then back down by the shockwave. He also rolled the worst possible roll to determine his dodge/defense state and was temporarily out of stance due to shooting his crossbow and stuff (had the same init roll as Liz). He got hit fully.
I think he took a bit too much damage through the armor, adjusting that.
You will probably be the party tank - best armor, anti-magic shield... your character probably is ingenious enough to make good taunts, too :P And this might not be the last time someone just anti-magics your rear ends either. And if that isn't enough, I've got more ideas, like, say, making you die in an encounter. Sounds good? :P

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 17, 2012, 01:02:21 pm »

((...I would also like to note that Fencing in Elenor's character sheet is a tad different from Swordsmanship....))
((*Poke, poke. Thrust, thrust, lunge, parry, Haha! Swing!* That type?  :P

Also, Spider?

Edit: Reads update.

How did I get on the ceiling?!  :o Thanks Apollo. Thanks for not even trying to help the guy you blasted off.

The guy who planned on healing you.

Cursed be my oath...surgeon soldier hates that oath.))

GM: What do my other spells do? And the one I just learned, that is...a known field spell that needs a currently affecting spell to be used?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 17, 2012, 01:11:52 pm »

((*Poke, poke. Thrust, thrust, lunge, parry, Haha! Swing!* That type?  :P))
((Fencing means using any weapon, mostly focusing on swords and daggers, if I correctly remember, and using any underhanded tactic available to win. Someone who knows Fencing can battle fair and square with swordsmanship skills, but will rarely do so.
A Fencer will:
-Go for the eyes;
-Attack the genitals;
-Try to cut the enemy fingers off;
-Kick sand on the enemy's eyes;
-Wrestle to break wrists;
-Reverse the grip on the sword while using metal gauntlets and wield the sword as a hammer;
-Taunt and spit on the enemy's face.
-Etc. Basically, if it leads to his victory and keeping himself in one piece, a fencer will do it.
Edit: I forgot backstabbing and being a total douche if needed. Oh, and using weapons with longer reach to keep the adversary away from him.))
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:14:22 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 17, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »

((...I would also like to note that Fencing in Elenor's character sheet is a tad different from Swordsmanship....))
((*Poke, poke. Thrust, thrust, lunge, parry, Haha! Swing!* That type?  :P
(("You fight like a cow!"))
((Tempted to retcon his skill into insult fencing.))

GM: What do my other spells do? And the one I just learned, that is...a known field spell that needs a currently affecting spell to be used?

((The spell tears a (temporary) hole in some other spell, mainly field effects or shields. It's not that strong, meaning that it will probably only work on large-scale spells or weaker shields or something.
In our situation, you could use it to partially and temporarily tear a hole in the disjunction, thus gaining access to your powers for a short time.))

((Also, this is what happens when you get sixes in my RtDs. If the followup was a five or four... you'd be on the golem now.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 17, 2012, 01:21:11 pm »

((Thanks for clarifying, I've mistaken Elenor for...something else. Non-fencing wise.  :P

Also, at least I'd not be affected by gravity and at least have a chance of getting somehwhere other than being on the ceiling licking this yummy piece of metamorphic stone!))

Plunge Broadsword > Rock, Hold on!

Then cast any spell that is purposefully useful to the situation to break the golem's shield.

If he cannot hold on, he tries to swing or push off the rock and plunge that broadsword into the golem instead!

Both ways: Swear incoherently.

Taren coughed a spatter of blood out, the rock really hurt his lungs. His ribcage, spinal column, collarbone, abdominal ridge, diaphragm and solar plexus? They were second thought as he realized the distance from him, and the rest.

And the ground.

The ground that was far down beneath him. That ground.

"When I get down there, I'll-..."

'I hate heights...'
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:22:51 pm by Tiruin »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 17, 2012, 01:27:38 pm »

((What was that? Are you mistaking Elenor's historical fencing for the modern fencing?

Edit: Modifying my character's action.))
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:29:16 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 17, 2012, 01:28:57 pm »

((What was that? Are you mistaking Elenor's historical fencing for the modern fencing?))
((There was a difference?

:-\ Shows what I know. But no, that wasn't what I was thinking of.))

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 17, 2012, 03:13:00 pm »

"What?! No! I'm already in dept!"
Turning his attention back to Liz&Co, Ratherio suddenly has an ingenious idea! He shoots the gunchucks at the left crystal!
"Oh, I forgot to ask, but how do these work?"

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 17, 2012, 03:14:48 pm »

"You point them and shoot, Ratherio."
Suddenly remember there's not enough magic to cause even a tiny explosion.  Curse and draw my knife.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 58