Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: creating a good source of water  (Read 5161 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
creating a good source of water
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:31:31 am »

Ok, so I'm in need of a water source a little closer to my base. I have a river over on the edge of the map, but it's not accessible under siege (which i need with dwarves in the hospital). The other problem is that I'm in a place where all outside water sources evaporate. How can i create a water source halfway across the map from my river, that wont evaporate?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: creating a good source of water
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 01:37:36 am »

ahhh.... dig?

either to the river, or straight down to the underground lake

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:38:13 am »

How do i then control the water so that my dwarves can get it?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 01:39:59 am »

You could have a well for cavern water, but if you want it right next to your hospital it'll probably take a long time for dwarves to drop the bucket. It takes more time the more z levels it has to go down.

You could dig out a reservoir and fill it from your river. Make it at least 2 z levels deep to avoid any issues with trees or whatever.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 01:41:50 am »

Wells into the caverns also potentially release flying nasties into your hospital, if I recall.

The digging a 2 z-level well is probably the best overall approach.  It avoids muddy water too.  Just dig it out 2 z-levels deep and have it filled by a water pump or direct connection to a larger water source.  Depending on where and how hard that would be to access, the details on how you do that will vary.  Drowned dwarves are possible but unlikely unless you've got pressurized water.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 01:43:53 am »

I've got a river, and i've got a hospital on the z level below that, more than half the map away. That's all the water I have, so a water pump (as far as i'm aware) wont work

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:52:51 am »

Tunnel one level below the surface to the river, but stop just short.

Also, dig out a reservoir where you want it - watch out for channelling into already dug rooms, as you will kill miners and flood your mine.  I've done both in the past...  Make sure the tunnel connect with it, with no leaks along the way.

Then, put a floodgate somewhere in the tunnel you dug above there.  Don't let Urist McStupid get stuck on the wrong side.  Wire it up to a lever, then channel out the last tile (on the surface) to let the river into your tunnel, into the reservoir. 

Use the lever to fill up the reservoir and close the floodgate BEFORE flooding your fort.  Then floor over the surface, build a well, and you've got water.  Complicated, but easy once you get used to it.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 02:01:39 am »

1. Dig straight down so you're just under the first cavern sea, usually a staircase right next to a future well shaft.

2. Dig elaborate network of tunnels at this layer.

3. Dig down one, over a bit, then up until you emerge next to the edge of the sea.

4. Block off future tunnel to sea at the step down with a floor grate. Beasts cannot destroy grates from below.

5. Open the last tile between the cavern sea and the grate-protected tunnel network by channeling out a piece of the edge of the sea.

You now have medical-grade, limitless water that will never go stagnant or evaporate. Pressure will force it up so you get 2-3 z deep spots under the wells. If you've done it right nobody will drown.

I only use nasty river water water for drowning goblins.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 02:38:44 am »

Got it :D thanks guys

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 05:33:58 am »

Use the lever to fill up the reservoir and close the floodgate BEFORE flooding your fort.  Then floor over the surface, build a well, and you've got water.  Complicated, but easy once you get used to it.

If you don't mind cheating a bit, you can just make the water go through a diagonal and it will lose pressure (it won't go higher than the kink).  Then all you have to do is make sure the pipe doesn't have any leaks, and it won't flood your fort.

Alternately: floor over the hole where the well is gonna go, and close the floodgate before deconstructing the floor.  Makes the timing much less of an issue.

Double-Alternately:  Pressure Plates linked to floodgates that automatically open up the floodgates when the water level on the well side gets too low, and automatically closes them when it gets too high.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 05:47:46 am »

Pumps 'filter' water and water wont go stagnant if it never touches natural-stone,, i.e you have to dig out an area 1 bigger than intended and then construct walls and floors to line the cistern - if you then use a pump to get the water into the cistern it should stay clean.
Mud on the floor is unavoidable unfortunatly - a symptom of letting players flood areas to gain farmable plots.
This means that if a cistern water-level drops enough, trees can germinate in the mud and your water-supply can end up getting blocked by trees growing under the wells or infront fo the floodgate etc - which is why a 2 Z-Level deep cistern is preferable. But if its constantly being filled by the river its unlikly to fall low enough for trees to sprout.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 06:18:02 am »

If you don't mind cheating a bit, you can just make the water go through a diagonal and it will lose pressure (it won't go higher than the kink).

lol wut
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 12:53:47 pm »

If you don't mind cheating a bit, you can just make the water go through a diagonal and it will lose pressure (it won't go higher than the kink).

lol wut
Wut yourself.  It's a minor exploit, hence "cheating a little bit."  Don't see how that could not be more clear.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 02:11:12 pm »

I've never heard anyone refer to the diagonal flow pressure reducer as an exploit. It's a pretty basic part of dwarven plumbing.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 02:18:35 pm »

I've never heard anyone refer to the diagonal flow pressure reducer as an exploit. It's a pretty basic part of dwarven plumbing.

There do exist people that choose not to use diagonal pressure reduction, under the reasoning that it's neither realistic, intentional (although that's maybe arguable) nor necessary for the functioning of a fort.  (You can always build a valve out of furniture-- it's just a submerged airlock to renormalize pressure.)

Of course, "cheating" doesn't mean a whole lot in a single player game, but there tend to be things that some people will use, that others avoid, and diagonal pressure reduction falls into that category.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: [1] 2