Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some migrants have arrived, despite the danger  (Read 1585 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Some migrants have arrived, despite the danger
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:29:18 am »

My fort escaped annihilation most recently. Now proper cheese defenses are being put up.

First migration wave after losing 4/5 of the dwarves arrived with a normal message.

Now suddenly another arrived with this special announcement. "Despite the danger"

I assume this means that my fort has been approved as lethal to its inhabitants?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some migrants have arrived, despite the danger
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 08:34:08 am »

That's interesting, Never seen that myself. Is it new?

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:36:59 am »

Jesus you'd think they would arrive in smaller batches, but even if almost all dwarves die new ones are ready to take their place.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:39:03 am »

if you're not getting "despite the danger" you're playing dwarf fortress wrong.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:00:14 am »

That's interesting, Never seen that myself. Is it new?

That's been in the game for ages.  It means a few reckless lunatics heard your fort was likely to be their death and STILL made the trip. 

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:03:18 am »

The delay between the slaughter and that update is probably due to how long it takes the dwarves to get to your fortress.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:04:21 am »

Have a few dorfs died recently in your fort?
Apparently it shows up when enough dorfs die that the game thinks it's a number of note.

It has nothing to do with sieges, sadly.

Also, I'd love to see what triggers "No one even thought of journeying to such a cursed death-trap."

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Darksilverhawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 09:22:39 am »

Also, I'd love to see what triggers "No one even thought of journeying to such a cursed death-trap."

Reducing your population from 72 to 1. True story. It only lasted a year, though, then they were showing up as usual. Dwarves have terrible long-term memory, apparently.
When a dwarf has to make a decision, they will make the wrong one approximately 99.7% of the time.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 09:24:26 am »

Reducing your population from 72 to 1. True story. It only lasted a year, though, then they were showing up as usual. Dwarves have terrible long-term memory, apparently.

I think it's probably more along the lines of "they're all probably dead and whatever killed them is long-gone by now.  Let's go loot the place!"

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 09:34:35 am »

Well the total death toll before this message was around 80% of the pre-disaster population.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 09:41:46 am »

Erm, more like ridiculous population pressure and supernatural greed, if you ask me. Seriously, how bad can the mountainhomes be if they prefer to move to outposts on the edge of the wilderness where there's a 9 month half-life on dwarves?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 09:42:25 am »

I dropped from a little over 200 down to five in a couple of seasons, and still got migrants "despite the danger".  Given that most of the Dwarven civs end up ruled by vampires, I guess a death trap looks attractive.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 09:43:33 am »

By Armok this is going to HELL. I have a grand total of six dwarves left after *another* wave of lashers came crashing down upon me.

I will danger room these six remaining dwarves with whips. They will become vengance or perish.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 10:17:37 am »

Have a few dorfs died recently in your fort?
Apparently it shows up when enough dorfs die that the game thinks it's a number of note.

It has nothing to do with sieges, sadly.

I had that happen, once.  I think I'd gone suddenly from 100 dwarves to 25 due to combat casualties and tantrum spiral.  that was way back in 40d though.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.