Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampires  (Read 2722 times)

kardofaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampires
« on: March 25, 2012, 02:44:37 pm »

The most annoying thing to me, worse than any bug because I can't just execute them. I have to have them rack up murders or create some magma contraption. I have 4 of them running around. I've walled on it, locked one in his room, and two are in jail - one with three murder cases and still not being executed. Dwarfs never realize what they are or are ok with it. They've killed my blacksmith, my commander, my captain of the guard, master mason. Such a nuisance.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 02:48:16 pm »

It's best to find out which Dwarves are vampires, then lock them in a room with some type of menial task for them to do for all of eternity.

Don't rely on your Dwarves to take care of them by themselves.

Linenoise02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 02:52:09 pm »

The most annoying thing to me, worse than any bug because I can't just execute them. I have to have them rack up murders or create some magma contraption. I have 4 of them running around. I've walled on it, locked one in his room, and two are in jail - one with three murder cases and still not being executed. Dwarfs never realize what they are or are ok with it. They've killed my blacksmith, my commander, my captain of the guard, master mason. Such a nuisance.

They dont need food or booze or sleep.  So lock them in a room, make one your manager, one your bookkeeper, and one your always-on-duty lever puller.  Although now that they need clothes, they do need a tiny bit of maintenance, tossing new clothes down a chute every one in awhile.  And if you can't figure out a way to kill your dwarves, you're doing something wrong!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 03:11:43 pm »

They dont need food or booze or sleep.  So lock them in a room, make one your manager, one your bookkeeper, and one your always-on-duty lever puller. 

Vampires do go on break, and because they never drink yet are still alcohol-dependent, they will gradually suffer from alcohol withdrawal and spend more and more time on break.  It's not a good idea to assign a vampire to any time-critical task like lever-pulling, one day you'll need that lever pulled NOW and your vampire will decide to go on break for a year.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ydaraishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 03:18:45 pm »

The most annoying thing to me, worse than any bug because I can't just execute them.

Use some vigilante justice.  Flattening by drawbridge is a classic method.  You could also send one down a magma pit to explore the mantle of the earth.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 03:30:02 pm »

Well I think you just found four volunteers for cave exploration. You could also use some system to pit them into the fortress arena and let them battle for their freedom...or feed your pet troll. Either'll do.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

kardofaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 03:48:28 pm »

Right now I have all of them locked in the jail room. Every time I've let one out to do something for me, or kill them, they kill someone first - even in front of everyone. That's what I'm upset about. They sometimes have no awareness and kill freely, and my dwarves don't react differently.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »

What happens if you put them in a military squad and order the squad to go somewhere? Will they still misbehave or will they actually obey orders and stay there?

EDIT: Ok apparently this doesn't work. In that case I'd just either keep them locked up, or try to assign a couple of them as either a bookeeper or manager (they never need to sleep, eat nor drink, so they're perfect for the job)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:02:05 pm by Chocolatemilkgod »

kardofaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 04:37:27 pm »

Yeah it doesn't. I had one stationed behind a wall and that's how I lost a few. I opened up the wall, he still wasn't moving, I opened a locked door to put another one in there, he escaped to kill, the other one then killed the mason that trapped himself. Ugh. Honestly, I'd rather just get rid of them. I know it's nice to have them as manager or whatever but I'd like to have an intended way to remove them.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 04:44:29 pm »

Pit a goblin into the room from above. Vampire problem = solved. On the plus side, if you wall one of them into an area permanently, you'll never loose that fortress since they'll never starve/die of thirst, and will always be walled in. Fortress = immortal! (until FPS death...)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 04:46:43 pm »

They obey burrows. I don't see what the problem is given that they do.  If you know who your vampires are assign them a hole (wall it off if you feel it absolutely necessary). Hell make the burrow immediately outside your gate.Or if you absolutely must execute them just assign a decent axe to your hammerer.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 04:53:30 pm »

What happens if you put them in a military squad and order the squad to go somewhere? Will they still misbehave or will they actually obey orders and stay there?

EDIT: Ok apparently this doesn't work. In that case I'd just either keep them locked up, or try to assign a couple of them as either a bookeeper or manager (they never need to sleep, eat nor drink, so they're perfect for the job)
They dont need food or booze or sleep.  So lock them in a room, make one your manager, one your bookkeeper, and one your always-on-duty lever puller. 

Vampires do go on break, and because they never drink yet are still alcohol-dependent, they will gradually suffer from alcohol withdrawal and spend more and more time on break.  It's not a good idea to assign a vampire to any time-critical task like lever-pulling, one day you'll need that lever pulled NOW and your vampire will decide to go on break for a year.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time