Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Water is Ruined  (Read 4747 times)

Urist_McUristson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Water is Ruined
« on: March 25, 2012, 12:33:41 pm »

My dwarves had just finished building a well, when I noticed that the water in it was stagnant. This seemed odd, since its directly connected to the river. I looked over, and the rotten body of my fisherdwarf is making the entire river stagnant. That river is my only source of fresh water. How can I fix this?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: My Water is Ruined
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:34:56 pm »

Rivers and brooks cannot evolve, so their stagnation is inevitable. They are doomed to die.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:35:38 pm »

afaik, bodies don't make the water stagnant, only other stagnant water can do that.

Also, if you have a well your dwarves won't care.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 12:37:07 pm »

Make soap, then it becomes a non-issue.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 12:37:51 pm »

Pumps to cisterns where no water has ever been.  My river started out stagnant along with all my murky pools, but you may get lucky like I did and have clean cave water too.  If not, pumps is the solution (also beware of aquifer effects).

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 12:42:45 pm »

Once a tile is stagnant, it will stay stagnant forever and convert any other nearby water tiles to stagnant water.

Water can be purified with a screw pump with its output tile over a constructed floor.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 01:36:38 pm »

Stagnancy is bugged. Your only hope is aquifers, as even elevated cisterns with pumped water will occasionally go stagnant.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 01:41:13 pm »

It looks like you need a two tile wide gap between water that is stagnant and water that is clean to keep things clean.  A single tile wall between them is not enough.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 01:53:52 pm »

I just use DF Hack to purify the river and any stagnant bodies touching it, since it's obviously a really weird water physics bug. Other stagnant pools that aren't touching the river I leave alone, though.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 02:31:30 pm »

Stagnant Water Bug Report.

You can also vote for the worst bugs here.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

StabMasterArson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 04:38:01 pm »

Hi guys,

Noob question here. I have run into this bug and my entire river is now stagnant. I have heard folks mention that you can use DFhack to change water from stagnant to normal. Which command do you use and how do you go about doing this? Thanks in advance!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 04:54:59 pm »

I have a river right now that is clean at the map entrance, and clean at the map exit. But the middle section that my fort sits over is stagnant where bridges cross over top of the water. So I have a flowing river with clean and stagnant tiles sitting next to each other, and it's stayed constant for several years now. Weirdly enough, I have some spots that are being called murky pools (even though they're flowing water tiles) and some spots of water near the banks that are clean water, despite being completely surrounded by stagnant water, AND being underneath a bridge, which has pretty much guaranteed a tile turns stagnant.

The only mod I applied to this embark was removing the AQUIFER tags from the area, before I interacted with the river. Sadly I didn't check to see if the water underneath the bridge that was there at embark was stagnant when I arrived.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 04:59:46 pm »

I have a river right now that is clean at the map entrance, and clean at the map exit. But the middle section that my fort sits over is stagnant where bridges cross over top of the water. So I have a flowing river with clean and stagnant tiles sitting next to each other, and it's stayed constant for several years now. Weirdly enough, I have some spots that are being called murky pools (even though they're flowing water tiles) and some spots of water near the banks that are clean water, despite being completely surrounded by stagnant water, AND being underneath a bridge, which has pretty much guaranteed a tile turns stagnant.

The only mod I applied to this embark was removing the AQUIFER tags from the area, before I interacted with the river. Sadly I didn't check to see if the water underneath the bridge that was there at embark was stagnant when I arrived.

Putting a bridge on top of the water may have turned it "stationary", as the game does not check for flows when it is full up to 7, and has some sort of roof or other water on top of it. 

That would disconnect it from the rest of the flowing river.  It may be stagnant just for being "standing" water, or it may have somehow been infected.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 05:01:11 pm »

So I read the title "My Water is Ruined" and my real response was "stop dropping elf corpses in it."

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 05:39:48 pm »

i just embarked on a 34.05 world(stopped playing .06 because of nudity-related berserking 2 year olds)

here where i start is a brook, with a waterfall, most of the river is fine, the WATERFALL however, is stagnant, both top and bottom of it
it's almost the only stagnant part..
i think this is a condition, for which stagnant, is just the wrong word
there is a pool near the top of the waterfall, which seems to "radiate" stagnation, about 15 blocks or so

however in all versions of DF i have tried, just building a well was an easy solution to stagnant water, haven't thoroughly tested it in .06 but it seemed to work there too

stagnant water seems broken though, it seems to spread like a disease and ignore anything that's not compatible with stagnation, such as a fast flowing river, or even a waterfall

wikipedia quote: "Water stagnation occurs when water stops flowing. Stagnant water can be a major environmental hazard."
Pages: [1] 2