Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Too Happy?????  (Read 1490 times)

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Too Happy?????
« on: March 24, 2012, 09:50:55 pm »

Is it possible for a dwarfs happiness value to overflow, making them more than happy, or rather, go insane, berserk, melancholy, etc?
I ask because in two instances I've had a dwarf snap for no apparent reason, resulting in (the first time) a contained loyalty cascade, and the second, a less than contained loyalty cascade.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Too Happy?????
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:53:26 pm »

Nope.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 09:57:51 pm »

Hypothetically, yes. 

I highly doubt it would ever happen without you doing something very out of the ordinary or memory hacking, however.  Even using a (signed) short, you have to hit 32767 to overflow.  It takes extreme circumstances to ever break 1000 happiness.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:10:09 pm »

Okay then there's some weird bug going on that randomly causes a dwarf to read as "berserk" for no reason at all that I can think of. They weren't exposed to tragic death, they didn't fail to create their artifact, nothing. I just saw this message "Urist McDwarf was cancels job: interrupted by Urist McMetalworker". So I checked the unit list, and sure enough, Urist McMetalworker was under the "Others" tab listed as Berserk. So I had my two-dwarf militia kill him... and now they're enemies of the state, which would be just fine, except that UristMcHammerLord is equipped with... stuff.
I'm running Masterwork DF, so I suppose this bug is localized to that Mod, so I will report it there too and see.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:13:11 pm »

Okay then there's some weird bug going on that randomly causes a dwarf to read as "berserk" for no reason at all that I can think of. They weren't exposed to tragic death, they didn't fail to create their artifact, nothing.
Hmm, syndrome that inflicts [CRAZED]?
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:13:28 pm »

Something is totally wrong.  Are you sure the berserker was not an outpost liason who went mad after being unable to leave?  Normally berserkers go enemy and never, ever cause loyalty cascades as you say it did.

So make sure it isn't an outpost liason losing it and turning into mcrandom metalcrafter (as they do when the liason career disappears)

Then notable issues you should check before the bug report:

The hated pest encounter is a huge drop: e.g. if he was unhappy for some reason anyway and then saw a rat (assuming he particularly hates rats and it says so in his personality) the pest just might push him over the edge.

Aside from that can you definitely rule out:

1. failed mood

2. dead relatives

3. dead friends

4. Rotting friends, relatives or pets

How do you know the dwarf was happy to begin with--hard to check once they are berserk?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:15:39 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 10:14:07 pm »

Could be a possible fog/mist

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 10:14:50 pm »

If it's Masterwork, then it's likely a feature.

Really, seems half the issues people are bringing up are features of masterwork...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 10:16:33 pm »

I am going to double post and insist it was outpost liason losing it
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 10:19:15 pm »

If it's Masterwork, then it's likely a feature.

Really, seems half the issues people are bringing up are features of masterwork...

Barring that, a liason.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 10:22:15 pm »

Nudity or clothes rotting, perhaps?
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 10:24:16 pm »

Could be lycanthropy, I have had dwarfs show as berserk when they turn into monsters.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 10:28:26 pm »

Dwarves sometimes become unhappy in combat for a few ticks but then revert back to their old mood.

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 11:56:40 pm »

Something is totally wrong.  Are you sure the berserker was not an outpost liason who went mad after being unable to leave?  Normally berserkers go enemy and never, ever cause loyalty cascades as you say it did.

So make sure it isn't an outpost liason losing it and turning into mcrandom metalcrafter (as they do when the liason career disappears)

Then notable issues you should check before the bug report:

The hated pest encounter is a huge drop: e.g. if he was unhappy for some reason anyway and then saw a rat (assuming he particularly hates rats and it says so in his personality) the pest just might push him over the edge.

Aside from that can you definitely rule out:

1. failed mood

2. dead relatives

3. dead friends

4. Rotting friends, relatives or pets

How do you know the dwarf was happy to begin with--hard to check once they are berserk?

I've got a save just seconds before Urist McCrazyPants snaps. He's not a liason, he was ecstatic just a few milliseconds before going all homicidal. He was downstairs collecting metal to smelt before going ballistic. No dead friends or relatives, to this point we've only had one death where this guy died from a training spear in the danger room somehow. No failed mood unless... is it possible he was flagged for a fey mood, but never took over the workshop? If that's the case, why is he going berserk each and every time instead of some other random crazy/etc? Anyway, it doesn't show him as a monster either. Where can I post this save so that it can be examined? I'm using Masterwork DF mod BTW.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 12:02:04 am »

Where can I post this save so that it can be examined?

http://dffd.wimbli.com/submit.php

If it's Masterwork, it might be worth asking Meph if maybe he somehow did something that does this on purpose, though.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2