Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weapon traps don't work?  (Read 4845 times)

banned4trolling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapon traps don't work?
« on: March 24, 2012, 05:41:37 pm »

Hey,

I decided I need a suitably perilous back entrance to my fort - a snaking catwalk spiked filled with steel disc traps right above a magma pipe is perilous enough. Or so I thought.

Apparently the first goblin ambush that came completely ignored the traps and went right over them without a single one triggering. I know that diplomats going over traps can remember them but I don't recall a goblin diplomat visiting the fort.

This particular ambush was detected once a few front troops passed the corridor and entered the fort. What gives?

Organised chaos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon traps don't work?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:02:43 pm »

Check the combat logs, did they manage to ignore all the traps or dodge them?

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 06:05:49 pm »

Do they trigger traps if you haven't revealed them yet?
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 06:09:13 pm »

Goblins are trapavoid, they dont set them off. Same with demons and kobolds.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 06:11:25 pm »

Goblins are trapavoid, they dont set them off. Same with demons and kobolds.

I don't know where you're getting your information, but goblins are not trapavoid.

Kobolds, demons, gremlins and forgotten beasts are trapavoid, but not goblins. Never goblins.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

banned4trolling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 06:13:05 pm »

The combat logs don't show any trap activity - the last combat event was when a magma crab spit on my mason causing him to fall into the pipe and dissolve into a puddle of goo on the bottom of the magma sea.

> Do they trigger traps if you haven't revealed them yet?

They don't trigger the traps both BEFORE and AFTER being revealed, for some reason.

Could diagonal movement be somehow involved?

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 06:28:47 pm »

Creatures opt for diagonal movement when possible, so the traps that are in the corners are being completely avoided due to diagonal movement through the maze. That is if I'm looking at it right. Switch the traps to the diagonal movement spaces and they will be forced to step on them. If you can spare the traps, instead of switching just add more in. The only time they will move into the corner tiles is if they have to dodge, there's too many flooding through at once or they've triggered the diagonal trap a few times and want to try different tiles to find a way around it.

I know some mods give goblins trap avoid as a balancing mechanism (while providing harder enemies that are not trap avoid). Masterwork does this, but they also made goblins as ambush only instead of sieges. So depending on your mod used, it could be that goblins have been changed to be trap avoid.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 06:42:53 pm »

Nah, you're not looking at it right. The red chevrons are the weapon traps and the grey bits are floor. Every possible diagonal movement is covered. The set-up should be super-efficient so I'm stumped on why it doesn't work. Goblins shouldn't be capable of avoiding traps either, so that's not it.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 06:46:19 pm »

What mods have you installed?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 06:50:56 pm »

Yeah, those weapon traps should be highly effective, unless they aren't set or are jammed or something odd.

If nothing else, a perilous bridge like that looks like it needs a marksdwarf sniper nest looking at it.  Any goblins that dodge your bolts fall into the magma pipe.  Lovely defensive position.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 07:53:16 pm »

They don't trigger the traps both BEFORE and AFTER being revealed, for some reason.

You watched the goblins walk over the trap, or are you extrapolating from the fact that you didn't see any combat reports/corpses?

If I didn't see the goblins come in, I think the first thing I'd be suspicious of is if there's an accidental alternate path into my fort-- fairly easy to check for.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 07:58:22 pm »

If you have Meph's Masterwork, goblins are trapavoid.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 07:59:22 pm »

wild guess.. If you <t> over the traps, are any of the components forbidden?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 08:01:07 pm »

Rather weird to hear you say they don't work--aren't those other red things severed body parts?  As in body parts severed by the traps? I might be reading the tile set wrong, but I see at least two over to the left side of the walkway
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 08:35:54 pm »

What mods have you installed?

This. There are a number of mods that make goblins trapavoid. Barring that, are you positive that there are no places where goblins could get in (stray ramps, open corners, etc.)?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2