Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What minor mods / raw fixes do you insist on?  (Read 11540 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What minor mods / raw fixes do you insist on?
« on: March 24, 2012, 03:21:13 am »

Are there any tweaks to the game that you simply will not play without? Or, at least, that seem like really good ideas? For example, I notice that elf diplomats and human guild representatives don't exist atm, but I've heard you can mod them back in, and was wondering if this sort of thing was commonly done. (Is the method to do so still viable in .34.06?) Also in a recent game I made it so bone could be used as shells and hooves could be used as ivory because nothing annoys me more than losing a dwarf because derp he wanted a kind of material that I can't get and it's impossible to trade for.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: What minor mods / raw fixes do you insist on?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 03:32:57 am »

Aside from setting the popcap to my convenience and turning off the economy, I tend to remove the [GRAZER] tag from everything. If I started using something as a consistent food source I'd probably start keeping them in a grassy pen anyway, but as it stands it's just getting in the way of having pets lying around.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 03:34:42 am »

You don't have to turn off the economy, pretty sure it's disabled anyway ;>_>

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 03:35:23 am »

I insist upon modding weapons like pikes and morningstars to be useable by dwarves, no exotics, and no aquifers. I. HATE. AQUIFERS. I also, if they hurt my FPS, go back and make flying item thieves/bird people plummet to thier deaths so they stop annoying me. Oh, and I force goblins to fight like my dwarves and take away thier bows. I also rmove grazers so i can shelter food/cloth bearing animals safely.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 04:02:24 am »

Getting rid of skill rust, just because I started in 40d and never really got used to it. And removing a few types of stone layers, particularly the ugly brown ones. Pudding stone I'm looking at you. Aquifers I don't really mod out, they just hardly ever show up in great numbers in my worlds because of the parameters.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 04:15:13 am »

Cosmetic stuff, mostly. Adding [VERMIN_HATEABLE] to all sentient races, modding in hooks and claws based on large daggers and giving them to most civilizations, changing the kobold prefstring to [PREFSTRING:adorable snouts] as well as removing aquifer if i'm feeling lazy.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 05:28:15 am »

Getting rid of skill rust, just because I started in 40d and never really got used to it.

This, absolutely. I don't know why, but something about skill rust bothers me. More ways to prevent it, or easier ways to train a dwarf up the ranks would perhaps encourage me to turn it back on, but honestly, I like my slow-developing, decades-to-get-around-to-doing-anything forts where nobody ever loses skills in anything they've ever done, ever.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 05:51:30 am »

I usually mod in/out little things like giving certain animals, elephants for example, a high enough grazer rating that they don't starve when eventually tamed. I also used to fix the good/evil plants but that's fixed now <3 Aquifers used to be removed until I got the hang of dropping plugs.. now I leave them in for more fps friendly power.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 05:57:59 am »

I removed aquifers cause I hate them.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 06:00:44 am »

I removed aquifers cause I hate them.

Welcome to the "We hate aquifers" club brother!

Nevyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 06:01:49 am »

Skill rust.  It's annoying when teaching can't be assigned.  & oh dear god attribute rust.

& Vein mining from DFHack.  I want to just tell them to follow the vein and have it only stop if they hit damp or hot stone.  If they break into caverns and release fun or cave a roof in, then that's my problem to deal with.  Obviously have to be an option (d for dig, v for follow the ore as an example) so you can still do a room shape as wanted.

Those are the two biggest ones for me.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 06:03:51 am »

I. HATE. AQUIFERS.

^ This. It's not that I can't get past them (with a lot of effort however) but that they effectively remove the use of an entire z level and annoy my OCD.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 06:04:51 am »

I. HATE. AQUIFERS.

^ This. It's not that I can't get past them (with a lot of effort however) but that they effectively remove the use of an entire z level and annoy my OCD.

And I extend my above welcome to the "We hate Aquifers" club to you as well.

rampagingfrodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 06:21:42 am »

I add       

[SELECT_MATERIAL:HAIR]
         [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:hair]
         [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:hair]
         [YARN]

to whatever large mammals I harvest for meat so I can make unicorn hair coats and muskox hair trousers. Also I delete _EXOTIC from every raw (oh the tedium). I use dfhack to get rid of splatter occasionally and automate vein digging (or making things easy for megaprojects).

Also I used Dwarf The Rapist to manage my dwarves. Use it and you will wonder how you ever got by without it.

So, how do you turn off aquifers? I've never tried that before.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:24:01 am by rampagingfrodo »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 06:24:10 am »

go into the inorganic layers/stone/basically all inorganic raws for good measure and delete [AQUIFER]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5