Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: has anyone else noticed this goblin skill anomanly?  (Read 2405 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
has anyone else noticed this goblin skill anomanly?
« on: March 24, 2012, 01:59:56 am »

I built a drop tower to dispose of troublesome pests and seige prisoners. first thing I noticed was that I can freely hual aggressive creatures around now. to pit them or put them on chains and such, and they dont break away, they dont scare dwarves while they are being led, and they aren't aggressive while being led. that is not what this is about, what this is about is that whenever I drop goblins with a fighting class (swords gob, spear gob, etc etc etc) they become weapons masters of their chosen weapon type. I have so far dropped 3 spear gobs, 2 swords gobs, and a single hammer gob. they ALL became masters upon hitting the bottom of the tower, though they did not really fight back when I sent my soldiers to fight them. has anyone else seen this yet?

oh yeah, im using the most recent version of DF.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: has anyone else noticed this goblin skill anomanly?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 02:06:22 am »

does this translate to dwarves as well?

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 02:08:27 am »

I have no clue. I haven't had a chance to test with anything except kobold thieves, goblin baby snatchers and soldiers, trolls, and a minotaur.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 02:21:39 am »

How big is the drop tower?
I'm thinking perhaps they're trying to dodge the ground, and thus setting off the upgrades that dog/shield/weapon skills would usually do.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 02:24:23 am »

The goblin swordsman parries the spinning ground! x99

Apparently you can parry fall damage. That's the only thing I can think of.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 02:27:11 am »

It's probably a side effect of the new training system. When you try to pit the goblins it might somehow confer the pet tag to them... or something.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 02:52:44 am »

might be. the tower is only 8 zlevels high. at the bottom I have a set of 10 upright spears set up. another thing I noticed was that while the goblins were being hauled, the forts rangers that were passing by were taking potshots at the green skins. its not the other creatures either. just goblin soldiers. the theives, trolls, kobolds, and minotuar got no benifit, and those that did were only givin skill in fighting, but not blocking or dodging, as they were pretty easy to hit with bolts and normal attacks.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 02:55:38 am by saltmummy626 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:23:27 am »

set of 10 upright spears set up.

The spears are being spam parried

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 07:43:01 am »

set of 10 upright spears set up.

The spears are being spam parried
This could be it
Make your tower higher or lock up the bottom and have them die in a pit from infections.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 08:11:50 am »

Put a weapon trap at the bottom. See if they can block ten serrated disks. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 09:17:51 am »

Put a weapon trap at the bottom. See if they can block ten serrated disks. :P
Works even better if the trap is covered in hot magma lovejuice too.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 12:46:25 pm »

That's the worst euphemism I've ever seen. :P
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 01:15:31 pm »

Remove the spikes. They can't parry the spinning earth as they tumble to their painful, bloody doom. If they're still alive, you can try flooding the bottom with your choice of water or magma, or send in your military to finish off the stunned and mangled goblins. Or.. especially with the new training system, you could keep some terrible beasts (war elephants, war cave crocodiles, etc.) at the bottom of the pit to devour them.

A pit is to a dwarf fortress player what a canvas is to a painter; a tabula rasa, in which your only limitation is your imagination.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 01:15:53 pm »

Arena mode testing confirms that creatures that fall gain experience in the Armor User and Dodger skills.

EDIT: "it  Goblin 2 in the body part, but the attack is deflected by Goblin 2's small iron breastplate!"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:18:11 pm by Urist Da Vinci »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 02:19:49 pm »

Time to build a few retracting bridges into our danger rooms.  It's good, they were looking pretty boring before.

I've been pitting gobbos, dropping them afterwards, but only a z-level at a time, and I haven't seen any transformation into weapon masters.  Probably has to do with the distance dropped.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: [1] 2