Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 86

Author Topic: Roll to Be Heroic (On hold)  (Read 177594 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be Heroic (The password isn't swordfish)
« Reply #525 on: May 09, 2012, 10:47:39 pm »

(("Shoot through the floor"  :P Also, sorry for holding up turns by my timezone Remalle.))

Ires looked at Desmond, a tinge of sadness accompanying her words. She was useless for most of this event.

"I'll- I'll be going with you, Steel. Nick, I've found this map. It may help, I think."

Ires hands over the map to Nicholas and goes along with Desmond to the Gardens.

She brushed off a droplet of blood on her arm, mixing it with her index and thumb. "Clearly, we must make this quick."

Upon arrival, she tries to spot any dangerous foes. Snipers taking top priority.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:50:35 pm by Tiruin »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 09, 2012, 11:50:13 pm »

Desmond walked toward the door with Huntress.

"I agree. We've got a police cruiser right out here...fast as we'll get in this city..."

Once outside, he realized something was off. Iraes didn't seem her usual self.

"Hmm, are you feeling alright, Huntress? It's probably a bad time, but I'm noticing you seem a bit off your balance." he said, concern echoing in his voice.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

There are fifty-two cards in a deck and fifty-two turns in this RTD.

Inside the Federal Reserve,
Agent Fortmüller, struggling a bit with the bulky rifle, looked through the wreckage of his prototype battlesuit as he sent Desmond and Ires off to the Garden.  [5] With some tools and time he could probably repair enough of the frame damage to get it working, and of the few internal components not still working the rest were at least salvageable.
With the SWAT team backing him up and Ires' floor map guiding him, Nicholas began a sweep of the building.  After a few minutes he concluded there were most likely no more enemies hiding around the building.
Agent Green and Agent Reon headed for MSG to back up Jenny and Lisa, arriving just a few minutes after their teammates.  Ires took a moment to scan the outside of the building for potential threats.  [hidden spot check] There was a throng of people waiting to enter the building, and at least a few of them looked potentially dangerous, but she didn't see anybody that looked like they were carrying a sniper rifle.  Standing at the entrances were serious-looking men in black suits.

Current Status: Clear

At Madison Square Garden,
Agent Maxwell and Agent Conners arrived at the arena, having called in backup and information on events currently happening there.
"Ok, we're sending you backup in the form of some cruisers.  Let me know if you need anything bigger, like a chopper.  As for events... hmm... alright, according to the internet there's a political rally of some sort... crap.  The mayor chose today of all days to hold a big speech at the Garden.  Don't know what he's thinking, unless he's planning on taking credit for stopping the Hammers today.  Good luck.  Don't get the mayor killed."

Current Status: Outside Madison Square Garden

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:05:23 am by Remalle »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 10, 2012, 12:02:25 am »

Uh-oh. Yep, the first thing he thought about when he read that damned note on the computer. A high echelon figure, it had to be the stupid mayor trying to take credit for anything which could boost his political career.

Nicholas tries to repair enough of the suit to get at least enough systems working for him to run to Madison Square post-haste inside it. If he fails, he'll just try to take the fastest route to the Garden, even if it means calling for a chopper. Look for snipers on arrival. Start Counter-Sniping abilities.

((I really hope my robotic skills appear.))
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:09:19 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 10, 2012, 12:05:10 am »

"Well... At least we know their target now." Lisa said slightly upbeat. She wasn't even puffing, unlike poor Jenny next to her. Laying a hand on her shoulder, she gave some of the extra energy she had stored into Jenny, getting her back into shape.

"There. We need to be in top shape for this part, so keep an eye out. That sniper is probably already in position, so we need to find where he's hiding quickly. Flash Light, perhaps you should try talking to the security men over by the crowd and brief them on the possible attempt. See if you can get a map from them of possible sniper positions that overlook where the mayor is going to make his speech."

Turning around in a complete circle, Lisa examines the surrounding structures.

"If I was a sniper... Where would I hide..."

Try to see places that a sniper would have a clear shot of where the mayor would be making his speech. Follow Jenny.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 10, 2012, 06:02:36 am »

Desmond hadn't really ever given thought to the security nightmare of trying to keep a guy on a pedestal safe, in a massive crowd of people. Desmonds first plan, to jump in front of the VIP when the shots rang out, wasn't looking so hot, since he was not faster than a speeding bullet.

This sort of job wasn't good for a Steel Wall. He might not even be able react fast enough to change anything. If his teammates didn't neutralize the shooter, he would have to be the hail Mary, carrying the Mayor out and covering him under fire, assuming he wasn't killed or badly wounded in a single shot. Desmond didn't like his chances. He would talk to the bodyguards, soon.

He turned to Iraes.

"Have you ever used your trajectory vision in a round-about fashion? If we knew the spot where the mayor was giving his speech, you think you could pinpoint places the shooter might be statistically likely to fire from?

I'm thinking, one-he's not suicidal as the rest of the hammers. He'll fire from a concealed position, then retreat.

Trust me. Cult Leader. Charismatic. Arrogant. Willing to sacrifice the lives of his followers for some tactical gain. He's a coward-he'll shoot the mayor in the back if he can, and run off to claim how much of a 'Hero' he is. I know his type.

Two, he needs a clear line of fire-he can't risk a bad angle. He knows he gets one shot. So, he'll have to choose the best one.

Three, he'll know the mayor has to be at one place, to give his speech...so, that's where he's going to be, now or later."

Desmond shifted, looking at the windows and ledges uneasily, wondering which one sheltered a patient killer...then he recalled, JFK might have got shot from a sewer grate, hadn't he? Dammit.

He unconsciously took a half step toward Iraes, and smiled uneasily at her, hoping that they could get another win today...or at least, she wouldn't be hurt in the crossfire.

Action: Talk my way into bodyguard duty for the mayor today. Stay close to Iraes for now, to protect her.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 10, 2012, 08:43:25 am »

Jenny felt now might be a good time to experiment with her powers again. If she could manipulate metal, perhaps she could also feel metal in the environment around her. After updating security on the situation, she closed her eyes and attempted to sense all the nearby metal, using Lisa's handgun as a reference point to get a relative size for the sniper rifle.

(I'm thinking the sniper's weapon is roughly three to four times the size of the handgun, so that's what she's looking for.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 10, 2012, 10:06:05 pm »

Ires listened to the man, he really knew how to commit to the mission, viewing points from every angle.

"I...never thought of that. Mostly use this power for my bowshots, but...you're right! Guns and bullets are affected by trajectory, and travel in a curve.

Checked the windows, didn't see anyone yet though I can be wrong. A bomber or anti-hero may appear too, can't rule that out just yet. Back on the computer, the guy didn't give his name."

Visualize enemy shooter positions in regard to where the Mayor is standing.

If found any, radio Desmond and give results. Follow Desmond but stay inconspicuous in the crowd, if possible.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:08:26 pm by Tiruin »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be Heroic - Turn Fifty-Three! In which the heroes home in
« Reply #533 on: May 11, 2012, 12:02:38 am »

Turn fifty-three.  What time zone are you, Tiruin?

At the Federal Reserve,
Agent Fortmüller borrowed some tools and went to work on his battle suit.  [2+2] In less than twenty minutes he had it working again, the dents and lopsidedness notwithstanding.  He was unable to restore the targeting system and a couple of less vital components, but judged the repairs good enough to go.
The quickest route to Madison Square Garden turned out to be running, though Nicholas decided to run on the road after nearly trampling an old lady on the sidewalk.

Current Status: Heading to MSG

At Madison Square Garden,
Agent Conners gave Jenny an upper as they headed inside the building.  A stage had been set up in the centre of the arena, with a thin backdrop and a single microphone stand indicating where the mayor would be speaking.  [hidden spot check ] Scanning the area Lisa decided that a potential sniper would probably either take a position behind above, or possibly to the side of the stage.
Agent Green headed towards one of the bodyguard-looking types at the entrance, trying to keep Ires in his sight as he did so.
"Pardon me, but we have reason to believe the mayor's life is in danger.  I and my team, along with the police, are tracking down the assassin right now.  I don't know if you know who I am, but I'm one of the good guys, and I can help keep the mayor safe.  Will you please let me?"
[3] The bodyguard squinted at Desmond.  "Look, I appreciate it, and I believe you, but we've got it all under control.  You're welcome to look around inside, but I can't just let you close to the mayor, not just like that."
Agent Maxwell stood beside Lisa, trying to use her power to detect a roughly rifle-shaped hunk of metal somewhere inside the arena.  [5+1] She sensed something of roughly the right size in the general direction of behind the stage before every loose piece of metal in the vicinity attached itself to her, breaking her concentration.
Agent Reon nodded at Desmond's suggestion, heading inside the arena and trying to blend into the crowd, despite her black face mask and body suit not helping her in the whole "blending in" thing.  She tried using her power in a way she'd never tried before, trying to visualize the potential trajectory of a bullet.  [3] With the end location of the projectile being the stage, the starting location could be... almost anywhere in the arena, really, though the potential trajectories kept changing as the crowd shifted.  Ires suspected that with a lot of concentration, she could narrow down the potential trajectories she was seeing, significantly.

Current Status: Searching

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 11, 2012, 12:13:06 am »

Jenny stopped her powers to let the energy bleed off, then got the attention of her allies. "I think something - or someone - is hiding behind the stage. Can someone go check it out while I bleed this off?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 11, 2012, 01:59:17 am »

"I think that the sniper would probably take the high ground, thanks to the crowd. He needs a clear shot after all. The stage also should eliminate behind the backdrop, since it blocks his view."

Lisa frowned and thought some more. That was still too many possibilities.

"Flash Light, what kind of rifle was taken? What sort of range are we looking at?"

Try narrowing the number of possible spots for the sniper by the range of his rifle.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:22:18 am by Zako »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 11, 2012, 06:11:51 am »

Nicholas was about to get at the square when he heard Jenny through his radio.
"Behind the stage? We would need authorization for that. Huntress, could you make use of your diplomacy skills to convince the security guards? I am very close to arriving."

Upon arrival, Nicholas searches the enemy he must counter-snipe.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 11, 2012, 06:23:21 am »

Ires scanned the people in the crowd, squinting to check which one was holding any lethal weapon that the bodyguards couldn't protect.

Then the voice of Desmond echoed in her thoughts, interrupting her search. "'...are you feeling alright, Huntress? It's probably a bad time, but I'm noticing you seem a bit off your balance.'"

She sighed as she looked down, pretending to straighten her...outfit. Yes, the creases and all. But there was something bothering her, and she wasn't sure what - other than the cut on her arm, that is.

Then her radio pinged. It was Nick. "Will do." was all she managed to get out.

Scan the adjacent buildings for any funny stuff while moving non-chalantly over to the security guards and acting out diplomatically to go backstage.

As she moved, she thought to herself, 'Just calm down, girl. You talked to a stone wall for this. You can't fail talking to a...living stone wall in the shape of a muscular man. No.'

((Still got that +1 to next diplomacy act, right?))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 11, 2012, 09:23:22 am »

Desmond couldn't say what was bothering her either. Iraes seemed on the verge of saying something-but, it was the wrong place and time. Being the empathetic sort, Desmond felt the subtle tension within her-and in himself-and would have liked nothing more than to see it ameliorated with an easy, joking remark, to watch a smile dawn on her face, hear a laugh. Iraes simple goodness-to set against the horrible acts that had been attempted today, what still might come to pass, in defiance of evil itself, maybe.

Not to disparage her courage-she was one of the bravest women Desmond had ever known, even more so than he. Unlike him, she didn't have bullet proof skin. The cut on her arm was a minor, yet fairly stark reminder of mortality, the flickering candle in the storm that was life. Yet-Iraes would step beside him in battle again and again, without qualm or complaint, knowing and accepting this. She was fragile and beautiful as glass in her own way, stronger than steel in others. Grace, Beauty and Strength in equal measure....

He just wished he could have said these things out loud.

Yes...Desmond remained stoically silent. They couldn't afford these distractions, not now. The Mission came first. It was cold decision, but one he knew he had to make. Let us just get through this together, then...we'll see what happens. he prayed silently.

Action: Follow Iraes, get our way backstage. While Iraes is searching buildings, I keep an eye directly around us for threats.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be Heroic - Turn Fifty-Four! In which wacky hijinks happen.
« Reply #539 on: May 11, 2012, 06:10:05 pm »

Turn fifty-four.  Tiruin: yes you do.

Agent Maxwell relaxed her powers and let off the excess with a brief flash of light.  The loose metal fell off her, and a few people picked up their jewelry and change while shooting her dirty looks.
"I think something - or someone - is hiding behind the stage.  Can someone go check it out while I bleed this off?"
Agent Conners mulled over Jenny's report.  "I think that the sniper would probably take the high ground, thanks to the crowd.  He needs a clear shot after all.  The stage also should eliminate behind the backdrop, since it blocks his view."
Lisa tried narrowing down where the sniper could be shooting from by what Jenny said about the range of his rifle.  The estimated range of the rifle was about as large as the arena itself, unfortunately.  Figuring the assassin wouldn't shoot from behind the stage backdrop or from the crowd, she narrowed the probable location of the sniper to... somewhere on the roof, or possibly in a seat perpendicular to the stage.
Agent Fortmüller arrived at the arena just as he heard Jenny report sensing something behind the stage.  Reflecting that the backstage area was most likely off-limits, he radioed "Behind the stage?  We would need authorization for that.  Huntress, could you make use of your diplomacy skills to convince the security guards?  I am very close to arriving."
"Will do."
Agent Reon looked across at the surrounding buildings as she headed up to one of the bodyguards.  [hidden spot check] She saw potential threats everywhere.  In the crowd, behind her, in the shadows, climbing up the walls... she shook her head to regain her focus.
"Excuse me, sir?  My colleague's already spoken to you about this, but... would you mind letting us look around behind the stage?"
[5+1+1] "Huh?  Oh, you again.  Ok, fine, you can go back there, just don't let anyone see you or it'll look bad on me, ok?"
Agent Green reflected on Ires and the ephemerality of life as he silently followed her behind the stage.  He heard a loud metallic clanking and his adrenaline went up, before he realized it was Nicholas's battle suit running up.
On arrival Nicholas scanned the area quickly, aimlessly, [hidden spot check] and by sheer luck noticed a small dark figure climbing up the the side of the arena onto the roof, a rifle strapped to his back.  The figure seemed to notice when Nicholas looked at him, and climbed around into a position where Nicholas could no longer see him.
"I got him."

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 86