Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cataloguing programme?  (Read 883 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Cataloguing programme?
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:25:16 pm »

My maths teacher used to run a Magic: the Gathering club, which was canceled, and a few months ago I asked him about it and he said he didn't really want the cards (which were sitting in shoeboxes in a classroom) anymore. So I took the cards, and now I'd like to catalog them. There's probably about 2 or 3 thousand in that box, which is too much to catalog by writing down on paper. Instead, I'm wondering if there's a simple programme that can catalog them for me- ideally that was originally written for Magic, but not necessarily. I just need, for the most part, to be able to enter the name of a card, and it'll enter it into a list, or add 1 to the count if one was already entered, and then when I'm done it'll spit out the cards in alphabetical order with the number that I have next to them.

Anybody know of such a programme?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Cataloguing programme?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:45:52 pm »

I don't know of a pre-existing one, but it sounds like a pretty simple thing to program.

When you say
I just need, for the most part, to be able to enter the name of a card
do you mean that you plan to enter all of them by hand? That'll take a long time anyway.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:47:47 am »

It seems to me that with the time it would take to enter all the details into a cataloguing program, you'd be better off by just putting them into alphabetical order yourself.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:01:35 am »

Try making a spreadsheet. e.g. in Gnumeric, then select all the rows and sort by the name field