Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PARANOIA:TROUBLESHOOTERS  (Read 2207 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
PARANOIA:TROUBLESHOOTERS
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:41:01 pm »

I am going to create a fortress along the lines of Alpha Complex. I am using the ☼MASTERWORK☼ mod. I will use burrow restrictions, ranging from main tunnels and meeting places(Infra-Red) to access to the U.R.I.S.T. System(Ultra-Violet). For the definition of U.R.I.S.T., check the wiki under "Stupid Dwarf Tricks.) I will let forum members create secret societies. (meeting rooms.) Any other ideas?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PARANOIA:TROUBLESHOOTERS
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:07:02 pm »

Cool!

Wait, wouldn't this be better placed under the community fort / succession games thread?
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:11:18 pm »

No. I will run the fortress myself, but take suggestions. Maybe I could make a succession game like it. Remember: Happiness is Mandatory!
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 12:30:23 am »

The U.R.I.S.T. is your friend! Obviously, lots of !!SCIENCE!! must be done. Troubleshooters always have to test stuff. Kids should all be kept in some sort of clone pods, in sets of six, all with the same nickname, until they mature. Be sure to mint lots of coins, loyal capitalist dwarves use currency. Any dwarves that have to go Outdoors are probably elf loving traitors, the U.R.I.S.T. would be suspicious of them. Uh, that's all I got off the top of my head.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:37:17 am »

I just finished paving my dining hall in black. It's easier because of the masterwork brick brick oven. I will be using brown in place of orange, though.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:16:52 am »

Just finished paving orange(brown) level bedrooms. Furnishings improve by level.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 01:30:48 am »

Suggestion: The violet room is an immortal vampire dwarf sealed forever in a room with control levers. Not needing food, drink, or sleep, it waits silently for your lever-pulling orders that inflict punishment on the fort. Obviously you need to link the levers before you seal the room, and you need a vampire. Select workers might be authorized to build additions to the core if necessary in later years.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 01:34:28 am »

I had thought of that. Right now, i have (no_eat), (no_drink), (speed:0), the works. I thin that, instead of white, ultra violet will be engravings.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 03:46:30 am »

Pretty much finished with living areas, IR to UV, and I'm calling it a night. After I'm done, I might just make a succession game.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 04:52:58 am »

Burrows almost complete, I'm getting ready to install U.R.I.S.T.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 08:21:49 pm »

Just found this due to the obvious mentioning of the mod... I take it the idea died ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:00:53 pm »

Just want to point out that the last time this idea came up, because it has been done before, I was unfamiliar with the idea.  When I asked, the response I got was along the lines of "you don't have clearance to know."  Nothing like elitism to encourage people, especially when the idea itself forces elitism in people who otherwise might not.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 09:15:07 pm »

Just want to point out that the last time this idea came up, because it has been done before, I was unfamiliar with the idea.  When I asked, the response I got was along the lines of "you don't have clearance to know."  Nothing like elitism to encourage people, especially when the idea itself forces elitism in people who otherwise might not.

Just like magma, elf-hating, etc. are DF memes, the whole clearance thing is a Paranoia meme. It stems from how asking about (or knowing!) the game rules can get your character killed while playing Paranoia. Like all in-jokes, it is best not applied to people who wouldn't understand.

If you want to learn more, I'd suggest http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/Paranoia

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 09:19:09 pm »

Yeah someone linked me to it, but my original idea of "I'll just google 'paranoia'" turned into a hilarious disaster.  Try finding the game Aurora too.  And I get the idea, it's just, jeeze people sound pretentious when they tell you that you're not good enough to be told what's happening.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 09:22:17 pm »

people sound pretentious when they tell you that you're not good enough to be told what's happening.

The Internet! ;]
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12
Pages: [1] 2