Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXII - E3 - Game Over - Scum Victory  (Read 81733 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXII - D3 - I Think The Mod Doesn't Know Irony [5/9]
« Reply #345 on: April 22, 2012, 06:39:08 pm »

First of all, "weerd" != "weird". I know how to spell "weird", thank you very much. I simply created a new word ("weerd") and defined it to refer to the behaviour you were showing on D2, and I did that so I didn't have to type "much more interested in keeping his own image clean than in scumhunting" every time I meant that. Call it a macro if you want to.

Now let's define "dikk" to refer to Dariush's behaviour in this game. Note that "dikk" != "dick". I voted for Dariush because he was a dikk and because Dariush being a dikk can't be explained by Dariush being sane town.

My premises that lead to the conclusion "Dariush is very likely scum" were:
1) Dariush is very likely sane.
2) Dariush is being a dikk.
3) Sane dikks are very likely scum.
These premises are all completely reasonable, and Dariush was very likely to be scum from an observer's point of view. The fact that Dariush was still town doesn't disprove my reasoning, it merely shows that Dariush was insane.

Now let's apply this to you:

1) You are very likely sane.
2) You are being weerd.
3) Sane weerd people are very likely scum.

Conclusion: You are very likely scum.

Isn't that already a set scumtell?
Appearing Too Townie: There's no official name for this one, but being too concerned about your image; specifically avoiding things that might be seen as scumtells. The idea is that scum are very concerned about being found out, and so want to act nonscummy. Townies know they're not scum, so they're less concerned about LOOKING nonscummy and more concerned about finding scum.
There you have it. "Weerd" is already an officially recognized scumtell.

Which is a coincidence because:

Now if I just understood that correctly, you just voted me because I'm the least scummy. . . .
It fits that scumtell.
No it doesn't. It might fit the scumtell's title (assuming there is such a thing as "too towny"), but it does not fit its description. The description is the exact same thing as what I called "weerd", and the title is just misleading. A better title for this scumtell would be "Caring about appearing towny". You have to understand the reasoning behind a scumtell before you can apply it. Looks like you just looked at the title.

How can stuff make too much sense? How can scumhunting not make sense? How is making sense a scumtell?
And answers that question.
No it doesn't.

Great, you know how Mafia works. Now what was your point there? And how has Borno's comment shown you that?

It showed me that I should not just focus on who is scum, but also focusing on who are apart of the scum team. Taking myself out of the equation, it doesn't leave many people.
Plus, looking into the fact that there is likely at least one competent scum:
That means if I am lynched and I am scum, that leave Strategia as the next logical choice, or vice versa. That also means that, if Magma is Lynched and is scum, then that leaves Phibes as the next logical choice.
Aha. So you're saying that the scumteam is either me/Phibes or you/Strategia because two teams seem to have formed. Great job, you know what to do on D4. Can we focus on D3 for now?

That means that it is nether I, nor Borno, nor Phibes that should be checked, but you and Strate. . . . . whatever his name is.
Excusez-moi? Do you want to stop being investigated? Let's assume that either me/Phibes or you/Strat are the scumteam. We can find out who is the scumteam by investigating all four of us. Why should we restrict ourselves to the two people who, as you say, are better in being/playing town? No, my friend. I've caught half of the scumteam, and I won't let go.

Spoiler: Idea to prove my point (click to show/hide)
Oh god no. LYLO is called LYLO for a reason: If you don't lynch scum, you lose. Let's say that D3 ends with no-lynch and D4 starts with two scum and two town. Then scum can simply both vote a townie, and since town doesn't have a majority, they can't lynch scum. Therefore, scum is impossible to lynch and has won. Draws don't exist in BMs.
The only possibility to survive after a no-lynch on LYLO is to have the doctor save correctly on N3, assuming a doctor exists, and then we're in the same situation as before. So a no-lynch on LYLO is completely stupid.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 23, 2012, 05:11:30 am »

It's time for an IC WALL OF TEXT!~ Yaaaaaaaay!~

Broken into spoilers for readability. I hope that helps and not hurts.

Spoiler: Part One (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Part Two (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Part Three (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Part Four (click to show/hide)

Please note that this does not appear to be particularly LYLO-ish activity levels; aside from Magma and zomara, nobody seems to have much to say.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dr.Phibes

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 23, 2012, 05:35:00 am »

Sorry i cant see any reasons for a scum not to end the game and win. It is just stupid to do as Borno if he actually is scum.

Irony, i think everyone agrees it is Strategia and zomora, so what can we do? Except wating for them to say something?
If one person has an imaginary friend, they're crazy, if many people have the same imaginary friend it's religion?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 23, 2012, 05:37:53 am »

Scum can't just "end the game". This game doesn't have hammers.

Dr.Phibes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 23, 2012, 08:05:43 am »

That may be true, but almost everytime we had finished voting the day ended.
If one person has an imaginary friend, they're crazy, if many people have the same imaginary friend it's religion?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 23, 2012, 08:19:49 am »

=/

Quote from: Think0028
The Day will not end prematurely unless people vote to shorten the day. That is, there is no "hammer" in Beginner's Mafia, where X amount of votes (more than 50%) on a single person immediately ends the day with a lynch on that person. Some games do that, but not this one, and you would be explicitly informed in the rules if the hammer is active.

If there are tied votes for who gets lynched at the end of the day, the day ends in a no-lynch. (Two people vote for Generic_Steve, two people vote for Unassuming_Mary. Nobody gets lynched.)

Each Night, you send in your actions. The cycle continues until one side wins. Days are 72 hours and nights are 24 hours. Weekends count for zero hours.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 23, 2012, 11:14:58 am »

I found free wifi. After a quick browse through what's been posted since I left, I'm switching to borno and Phibes as the most likely scumteam. I'll do a more thorough read and reply when I'm back home tomorrow. PFP, you see.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 23, 2012, 11:36:45 am »

Extend.

Dr.Phibes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 23, 2012, 02:30:06 pm »

Strategia, like changing suspects much? Why do you suspect everyone except zomora?

Extend(can we even extend if everyone have voted?)

I seriously wonder why people think it is borno, especially Strategia, he thought it was me and Magma and know he think it is me and borno? Still using the voting as hes defence, he could have "ended" last week, but instead he voted me and if you think we are scum team that makes it even stranger.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 23, 2012, 04:43:27 pm »

That may be true, but almost everytime we had finished voting the day ended.
Game end and total votes have no bearing on each other. Sometimes 14-player games lynch people on 3 votes, because it beats out all the other 2-vote ties and people not voting at all or still voting someone they just slightly suspect.

You can generally find when the day is scheduled to end in the latest votecount.

Extend(can we even extend if everyone have voted?)
Votes are not a static, permanent statement of your final decision.

So yes, you may vote to Extend even when all players are currently voting someone. In fact, it's often seen as suspicious if someone isn't voting anyone when the day's supposed to be ending, since it implies that they don't have any real suspects.

Sorry i cant see any reasons for a scum not to end the game and win. It is just stupid to do as Borno if he actually is scum.
As Darvi has pointed out, there is no way to instantly end the game in a BM, meaning any attempt to win for scum has some element of risk to it. This makes it very risky to attempt to infer alignment from any particular actions or lack thereof.

This isn't to say it's impossible to infer someone as more or less townlike from their actions, but it's WIFOM, because you'd have to know exactly what they're thinking for that train of logic to work.

Irony, i think everyone agrees it is Strategia and zomora, so what can we do? Except wating for them to say something?
If you're absolutely certain, you may vote to Shorten. Do remember that town needs a unanimous decision to overcome a scum vote block at this stage of the game (which, again, scum might or might not create), and that the entire game rests on your decision here. A mislynch results in town losing, so you should be very, very certain before intentionally rushing the lynch.

Also bear in mind that there is always more information to be collected. Investigating players you don't believe are scum but have poor reads on, for instance, can be a productive way to confirm or reconsider your current suspicions.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 24, 2012, 01:35:09 am »

Votecount!
zomara0292 [3]: Dr.Phibes, MagmaMcFry, borno
Dr.Phibes [1]: Strategia
MagmaMcFry [1]: zomara0292
Day extended to Wednesday. Now need at least 3 people in order to extend.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 24, 2012, 08:02:57 am »

Just to make sure I am looking through this correctly, I am the replacement of who's replacement?
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 24, 2012, 08:05:56 am »

drakon136 > Bulldog > zomara0292

There is a search option.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 24, 2012, 08:11:55 am »

drakon136 > Bulldog > zomara0292

There is a search option.

Thanks. And sorry. I once again pulling myself into something I aught not. As in pulling out my ultra-super fine comb through this hells nappy hair of information for the last three days trying to find what it is that Strategia must have, and to see if Magma (or was it Phibes) has any truth in the fact that my predecessors voted along with him, and, if he is, the reasoning behind them doing so. I am also doing the same with magma and phibes. yah.
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 24, 2012, 08:53:17 am »

OK. I need a way to severly shorten down what I need to read and focus on something specified towards scum hunting.

Phibes, Magama, Borno, and Strategia, please list who you think is town and why? I would prefer it if you use quotes from what they have said in the past, to back up your argument/point.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26