Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have created a new challenge.  (Read 2408 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
I have created a new challenge.
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:30:16 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Challenge#.C3.9Cberdwarves

What do you think of it ? I'm gotta try it, I think.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: I have created a new challenge.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 07:32:59 pm »

have fun then
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:48:08 pm »

Which are you doing?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:51:31 am »

The personality requirements are so strict that they'll probably reduce the number of eligible dwarves down to one or none, even among a pool of 100+ candidates... making for a rather dwarfy elimination process.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:09:02 am »

The personality requirements are so strict that they'll probably reduce the number of eligible dwarves down to one or none, even among a pool of 100+ candidates... making for a rather dwarfy elimination process.

Yeah, I know. Maybe I can do this with a syndrome, or just mod dwarves to have special personalities.

Anyways this is mostly an aesthetic goal, so it's not the most useful.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:23:44 am by Naryar »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 01:29:05 pm »

...I may have already done the SADISTICDWARFBONUS o-o

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 01:48:44 pm »

...I may have already done the SADISTICDWARFBONUS o-o
First one, i presume.
I didnt really expect anything diffrent from you, loud whispers ;P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 07:59:33 am »

Hmm. Überdwarves. Plural. Usually my DF games focus on one dwarf, a hermit. Sometimes I restart several times to get a dwarf with decent überdwarf potential. I suppose with time and patience, and enough immigrants, one would be able to gather a small team of überd-- oh my god.

SPARTA CHALLENGE
Gather 300 of the finest, most vicious dwarves over an undefined time period. Defeat great armies with them.

I have to add, though, you MUST lower the skill and attribute decay rates. I'm speaking from experience. If you don't do this, their progress will come to a halt since they can gain skill levels only so fast.

Edit: Well.. looks like there already is a challenge with a similar name. Should've known. This one is just little different, but both involve 300 dorfs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:03:06 am by albatross »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:34:04 pm »

don't like it.  Too many words and rules.
This would require significant edits to the raws, imo its a much more natural challenge to take on in 40d, where a) wrestling is good, b) no stat rust, c) no caps on attributes or skill levels, d) no forgotten beast syndromes.  Ensuring dwarves only wear stuff they've killed is nigh impossible to track, and doing so wouldn't be fun.  Only real way to do this would be do select uberdwarf candidates, and once they've graduated, cull the rest at the end.  At which point why not just do this for some dwarfs.

I do like the core idea however, here's my take on it.

For DF2012 (reduce/eliminate attribute rust.  All else vanilla)
1.  Starting attributes:  dwarfs must have average or better in the two untrainable physical attributes, healing rate and disease susceptibility.
2.  Starting personality:  only exclude dwarves very high values of undesirable personality traits.  Therapist is good for this.
3.  Replace the 'must kill what you wear' criteria with 'must make/forge what you wear/wield'  (weaving/tanning/smelting not included).  This is managable by equipping items specifically to dwarves as the items are made, and forbidding all items as they are equipped.   Mood material forcing permitted.
4.  Dwarves are allowed any weapons, equipment, or armor, provided it conforms with the above criteria.  imo this is necessary post-40d, and also pretty damn cool.
5.  Dwarves must be legendary in one offensive skill, weapon or unarmed (excluding Fighter/Archer)
6.  Dwarves must be at least professional in at least three melee offensive skills (not counting Fighter), one of which must be an unarmed combat skill or misc object user.
7.  Dwarves must be at least proficient in Marksdwarf and Archer.
8.  Dwarves must be legendary shield users, at least professional dodgers, and at least proficient armor users.
9   Dwarves must be competent teachers, competent students, proficient observers, and proficient concentration.
10. All must be legendary swimmers.
11.  Hospitals allowed.  Dwarves with impaired/lost abilities to grasp/stand must be retired.  Dwarves with impaired eyesight or chronic syndromes must be retired.

At game/objective completion, no less than 20 dwarves may be graduated uberdwarves.
1.  Every uberdwarf must have a cool pet (Bonus for named pet)
2.  Every equipped item must be masterwork/artifcact of their own creation.  (bonus to have them decorate it as well)
3.  Legendary in 3 civilian skills (non social), Professional in 5, Proficient in 10.  At least 1 legendary skill must be a crafting skill in a trade that produces items with quality modifiers.
4.  All must have enough kills to become named champions.
5.  All must have maxed physical and non-musical attributes, excluding heal rate and disease resistance, which must be above average.  All must be hardened to tragedy.
6.  One dwarf must be a legendary striker/kicker/biter/misc.object user  One must have several professional medical skills.  One must be a legendary ambusher.  One must be a legendary organizer.  One must be a legendary liar.  One must be a legendary comedian.  One must be a professional teacher.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku