Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game does not save?  (Read 1014 times)

Xenigmata

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Game does not save?
« on: March 17, 2012, 03:41:51 pm »

Hey, Think anyone can help me? I've created a couple worlds now, and played them. But if i close dwarf fortress for whatever reason it does not seem to retain the world or fortress i created in it. Additionally, I selected "save" from the in-game menu and it still behaved this way. Any help guys?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:15:56 pm by Xenigmata »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Game does not save?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:53:14 pm »

you end with esc - save game? And the game doesnt close unexpectedly?

strange.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Xenigmata

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:56:00 pm »

yes, i press escape and save. and then later when i come back to try and play dwarf fortress again there is no world and i would have to create another one.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 06:06:07 pm »

This is usually caused by someone neglecting to actually extract the archive to an actual folder. When downloaded, the game is in a compressed form, which makes it smaller and thus easier and faster to download, but it is impossible to save worlds in that state. You'll need to extract it, using winRAR or a similar program, to a folder on your hard drive in order to save games.

The other possibility is that you've got your dwarf fortress folder set to read only, but that's probably pretty unlikely.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 06:49:28 pm »

This is usually caused by someone neglecting to actually extract the archive to an actual folder. When downloaded, the game is in a compressed form, which makes it smaller and thus easier and faster to download, but it is impossible to save worlds in that state. You'll need to extract it,

Uh, just... wow. That's almost certainly right. Wow. I honestly would never have thought of that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 07:07:07 pm »

I didn't even know that was possible.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Xenigmata

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 07:42:21 pm »

O.K. It is not in archive form anymore, I used Winrar, but i still had the same problem, so then i tried extracting just the Dwarf Fortress.exe, but when i ran that file everything went weird. I was bombarded by a number of error messages, and archiving windows. Then something about an internet e-mail address. I. am. so. confused.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 07:44:16 pm »

O.K. It is not in archive form anymore, I used Winrar, but i still had the same problem, so then i tried extracting just the Dwarf Fortress.exe, but when i ran that file everything went weird. I was bombarded by a number of error messages, and archiving windows. Then something about an internet e-mail address. I. am. so. confused.

You need to extract everything, and put it in a folder.

I didn't even know that was possible.

I knew it was possible, I just didn't think there was a single person in the world who would be playing a roguelike and not know to extract the game files...  :o

3. Run Resize Enable

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 07:46:58 pm »

You have to extract the entire archive, not just the executable. If you extracted just the executable, there's no question that it wouldn't work; none of the files that it references in order to function would be where it could get to them.

Um. Once you extracted the archive, you didn't try to play out of the archive again, did you? You have to play out of the copy that you extracted to. Assuming you got the whole archive (sometimes WinRAR only extracts one file if you have one selected accidentally), I have no idea why it wouldn't work at that point.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 07:49:34 pm »

Okay, step by step here:

1. Make a folder. Name it "Dwarf Fortress", or whatever else you want.
2. Copy and paste the archive (the file you downloaded) into the folder you just created.
3. Right click, and click "Extract here".
4. Wait for all the files to extract.
5. Run the executable file (not the one in the archive).

3. Run Resize Enable

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 08:40:00 pm »

Or try a launcher, like Lazy Newb Pack.  I found LucasUPs app to be a godsend, when I started. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Xenigmata

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 12:41:41 am »

Thanks so much guys! It works  :D and yes, I'm kind of new to these kind of things. So bear with me, I might post a lot of help seeking articles lol.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 06:59:19 am »

1: Try the search button first, likely most questions will have been asked before.
2: the df little questions thread is to stop the forum drowning in little questions, please use it.
3: Worship the wiki! Seriously, use the wiki.
4: Keep in mind that the game is much more complicated than it looks. It includes weather patters and temperatures, water pressure and flow strength, social interactions between dwarfs and finally, booze.

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:20:41 am »

If you are using the Lazy Newb Pack you may have to say no to compress save. There is a rare bug and it wont save you fortresses if you have it set to compress them. Coincidentally I have that weird bug o.O

Xenigmata

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 01:09:59 pm »

Thanks Garath, I'll keep that in mind.