Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The most horrific syndrome I've ever seen  (Read 13805 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The most horrific syndrome I've ever seen
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 03:09:51 am »

That dwarf looks just like my recent patient that had only fed at McDonalds for 2 years.

I think the worst possible syndrome, although it still has to be created, would be a syndome turning your dwarf into an elf.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 03:11:24 am »

So, flesh-eating-disease strep then? The skinless wombat forgotten beast variety.

My fort is dead now. It was quite the sight to watch though. I *guess* it would have been possible to save some dwarves but it was really entertaining to watch everyone running around rapidly bleeding out all their internal organs all over my fortress walls and turning everything red.

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 03:17:04 am »

Throw him into the HFS, let the clowns deal with that shit. Could be the greatest weapon to come forth from the homelands.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 03:18:17 am »

martinuzz, you medical too?!?

Yeah, flesh-eating disease, good old fasciitis.  Can't even board a bus without smelling cellulitis these days.  I used to be able to eat on a bus.

The worst thing is that real-life treatment is suspiciously similar to DF treatment.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 03:19:56 am »

Nah, I'm a social pedagogue (I did study biology as well though, so anatomy and the biochemical processes behind medicine aren't strangers to me). I do tend to see quite a few people that have serious medical issues through unhealthy lifestyle, though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:22:29 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 03:26:12 am »

If you call clients "patients", you count as medical :)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 03:35:02 am »

Well, i'm doing an undergraduate (Bachelor) course in Biomedical Science, hopefully moving into a strongly medical field as postgrad.

I handled my first pathogen four days ago. Well, it was a stained, inert Golden Staph virus that under our microscopes we could really only see the bacteria and nucleus, but we have to treat anything we handle in the lab as a pathogen, as one would.

nxcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 06:10:47 am »

Two of my elite marksdwarves decided it was a good idea to bash a forgotten beast with their crossbows. They got covered in goo and started to rot away. The fortress medical team did a fantastic job of keeping them alive. And years later, they are still alive. The only sign of horrible syndrome is that their hearts are still rotten. They do not seem to be bothered by this except a permanent unhappy thought from sustaining permanent injuries.

Another horrible syndrome that killed a fortress for me was one that caused a slow paralysis upon contact. Anything exposed to the extract begun to feel weak after a while and was totally paralyzed after a month or so, finally dying of thirst, hunger or unhappiness. I almost managed to seal of the contamination but a kitten slipped through and later took a bath in my water source. Later, during a siege, my dwarves ran out of booze.
Banana!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 06:18:50 am »

I had a forgotten beast that sprayed frozen extract around. He got killed by two marksdwarves but both of those got covered. At first it seemed fine but shortly after one was numb, every body part yellow. Then the other went numb, same thing. Then every (external) body part started swelling with blood and the dwarves started smelling worse than a pile of crundles in the caverns. They were paralyzed and rotting standing upright and they could see it happening to the other.

They both died a gruesome death and I've locked away that part of the fort (entrance to cavern 2, pretty tragic as before that two miners had been mauled by a troll in the same place). I've forbidden their corpses and everything they carried because it is all still covered by beast extract. One masterful highwood crossbow and one artifact wooden crossbow inaccessible.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 07:30:21 am »

I had one that caused a brief fever then exploding eyeballs. I started using decontamination baths after that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 08:08:39 am »

Fun fact: As long as the lungs work, nothing else matters!  At least I believe so.  Stomach, guts, liver, kidneys, they're all actually fluff organs.  The heart has major arteries, so damage causes massive bleeding, but I think the lungs are the only thing actually needed.

I think in theory, if you had doctors wearing shoes, they might be able to surgically remove... all of the dwarf.  You'd end up with a hollow skin, spine, and set of very healthy lungs!

Otherwise bravo.  That's an astounding syndrome and I would have dearly loved to try and save that fort.  Just imagine the Ravenhome/Resident Evil aspect.  Just seal the place up, don't go there anymore.  An entire half of the fortress dripping vile blood and filled with the corpses of the fallen, untouched for decades.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 08:38:02 am »

On the plus (minus?) side, at least you weren't in an evil biome.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 09:02:50 am »

I recently had a dwarf with a similar problem, but the syndrome didn't affect bones, and was luckily transmitted via FB vapors. It also destroyed ALL of the dwarf's sensory nerves. So yeah, after the doctors saved him from rotting alive, I'm left with a dwarf that has every single body part numb and can't feel pain at all :D

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 10:05:12 am »

If you call clients "patients", you count as medical :)

In my line of work we call them "subjects".  ;D
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 11:47:00 am »

Fun fact: As long as the lungs work, nothing else matters!  At least I believe so.  Stomach, guts, liver, kidneys, they're all actually fluff organs.  The heart has major arteries, so damage causes massive bleeding, but I think the lungs are the only thing actually needed.

I think in theory, if you had doctors wearing shoes, they might be able to surgically remove... all of the dwarf.  You'd end up with a hollow skin, spine, and set of very healthy lungs!

Otherwise bravo.  That's an astounding syndrome and I would have dearly loved to try and save that fort.  Just imagine the Ravenhome/Resident Evil aspect.  Just seal the place up, don't go there anymore.  An entire half of the fortress dripping vile blood and filled with the corpses of the fallen, untouched for decades.

You still need brains.  Unless you have the token for no center of thought, losing brains = death.

You also need something like guts or stomach, I forget which, or else you can't eat. 

The other organs are completely superfluous, except for bleeding.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4