Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The most horrific syndrome I've ever seen  (Read 13812 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
The most horrific syndrome I've ever seen
« on: March 16, 2012, 11:49:34 pm »

I was cleaning out the underground caverns in preparation for breaching the circus when I noticed one of my dwarves who slew a forgotten beast with some poison blood was acting really strangely. His initial health page was showing he had a fever and he could barely move. I glanced at his wounds and saw he didn't really have any injuries at all. Then I checked him in his character screen... this is what I saw:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He was rotting ALIVE. Oh, and that's not the worst part. You see, not only was this syndrome making him rot internally... it was ONLY affecting his internal organs. Very shortly after I noticed this, he started emitting miasma! ALIVE! So the medics dragged him to the hospital, the whole way he was dripping his ooze, melted organs, blood, etc. up all the stairs and into the hospital and emitting miasma everywhere. Here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And from here, we can see that from the outside, he actually looks completely fine. So this guy is rotting internally and is being turned slowly into a pile of skin. Note the long trail of blood and ooze... and the miasma. He's still alive. Until now he's still alive. I'm wondering when he's going to die considering all his organs have rotted away.

Oh. And the other guys coming into contact with his blood are undergoing the same thing. Looks like I don't need the circus to end my fortress. xD

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
Re: The most horrific syndrome I've ever seen
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:51:14 pm »

Congratulations, your fortress has had an outbreak of ebola.
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

David Holmes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 11:51:25 pm »

At least he's been happy lately.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:57:08 pm »

He's also 135. What a trooper.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 12:05:16 am »

1. Eurgh.

2. This is why you don't want to fight FBs with poison blood directly.

3. If I saw a guy who was totally swollen and leaking rotten organs from every orifice, I probably wouldn't pick him up and carry him back to where everyone was living. But then I'm not a dwarf.

4. That is going to be one nasty fort in a few months.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 12:10:01 am »

Congratulations, your fortress has had an outbreak of ebola.

I knew it existed here somewhere...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 12:13:44 am »

My doctors and nurses (that aren't rotting) are trying to save the patients. They can excise the rotting tissue from each organ and bodypart that's rotting, but they can't do it fast enough to save anyone. It's so pyrrhic and sad.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 12:26:36 am »

This event is the embodiment of DF.  !Fun!, grotesque, and hilarious.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 12:26:42 am »

My doctors and nurses (that aren't rotting) are trying to save the patients. They can excise the rotting tissue from each organ and bodypart that's rotting, but they can't do it fast enough to save anyone. It's so pyrrhic and sad.

Then why am I giggling?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 12:31:28 am »

I've never really felt sorry for the little bearded lunatics, but this is coming pretty close. Alas, poor Urist.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 12:35:15 am »

Just think of all the experience they're getting!
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 12:57:25 am »

If you have any interest in saving the fort at all, it's quarantine time.  Unaffected miners can start digging out a new fort and start breaching the rooms you locked the survivors into when there's enough room to start the fort over.

That, or just lead your whole fort to the magma piston for a mercy Unfortunate Accidenting.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 01:22:48 am »

You know, not all rot syndromes are lethal. I mean, this one might be, but just wait it out. I've gotten ebola syndromes without a single casualty.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 02:10:25 am »

I've had the same one, though not nearly as virulent, and only three dwarves caught it.

Two recruits who were walled away with the corpse, and the militia commander who cleaned herself off after coming down with a rotten stomach and left hand, then left to go to the hospital, to have the 'tissue excised' from her hand, and nothing done for her stomach.

The recruits rotted to the point that they were little more than miasma clouds with skin, and then died of starvation.
Crisis averted.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 02:57:05 am »

You know, sorry to be the medical pedant, but ebola is a bleeding virus.  This isn't a bleeding syndrome, it's a necrosis+swelling syndrome.

If you want necrosis + swelling, maybe try necrotizing fasciitis, which is mostly just boring old strep or staph (betcha you got some!).  Ebola just isn't a good description for umiman's syndrome.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4