Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Please - a roguelike that works (other than DF and Zapm)  (Read 10077 times)

Bakuryu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please - a roguelike that works (other than DF and Zapm)
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 06:34:26 am »

Caves of Qud.
Awesome RL, post-apocalyptic stuff, originality present too. Game's currency is water, so you drink your currency. Choice between true human or mutated one in which case you get to choose amongst a bunch of mutations, and build up some interesting character. Highly recommended game.

Prospector - Spacefaring exploration, fun stuff.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:17:59 am by Bakuryu »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 07:10:30 am »

Who doesn't love the CoQ?

Only problem with it is the reliance on .NET 2.0 which from what I understand has issues with linux machines. Might not help the OP much.

Cataclysm will probably function well, though
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 07:25:54 am »

@moving in nethack. Use arrow keys, it is not complicated.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 07:50:30 am »

Bah. DoomRL wont run on my laptop. Issues with OpenGL support on my GPU... :(
This is a blank sig.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 10:24:07 am »

I second Dungeons of Dredmore. It's awesome.

No no no. I really really do not understand why people consider this to be anywhere good. Incredibly shallow gameplay, bad game design, lack any sort of true roguelike depth.  ::)

It's exactly falls into `retarded` category.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 09:33:06 pm »

I'm liking Crawl (specifically, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup) a lot so far. Control-wise it's pretty straightforward, and it doesn't seem to have any input or stability problems. And it looks nice, too. I also managed to die 3 times getting through the tutorial, hah.

It reminds me a lot of Cataclysm for some reason...

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 01:35:40 pm »

I believe that's also called the opinion category and you're contributing to it. Yes, it's shallow, but it's not supposed to be Nethack 2.0. It's a light-humored roguelike with graphics and sounds and such, which may be more fun to some people than moving an @ into a c which instantly slays you because said creature is a cockatrice.

To each their own, neh?

I agree. But for me DCCS is actually very friendly, both looks and interface, WHILE providing incredible depth. Heck, Tome4 is better than DoD in terms of comfort. By miles.
On the other hand, DoD have clunky controls, I was infuriated by inability to play solely with keyboard and this reccuring `open door` bug. Have 4 directions to move and AI is nonexistant...wow

I just think that recommending DoD as starter roguelike is like recommending Diablo II. It's roguelikish too, after all.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 02:02:49 pm »

I'm liking Crawl (specifically, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup) a lot so far. Control-wise it's pretty straightforward, and it doesn't seem to have any input or stability problems. And it looks nice, too. I also managed to die 3 times getting through the tutorial, hah.

I really like Crawl as the baseline of what most Roguelikes try to be. If it weren't for the years of content additions it might come across as a little shallow...but WITH the content additions, it's completely fleshed out. It's also got so much UI polish that it's actually comfortable to play, unlike many Roguelikes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 02:07:10 pm »

My top three are definitely Crawl, Cataclysm and DF at this point, and only the first is "really" a roguelike. Zapm is fun, but not terribly deep, and would probably take the fourth slot.

I like the number of different non-random strategic elements to Crawl, and that they all feel like they have real meaning. Race, class, deity. But at the same time they don't really constrain you either.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 02:17:42 pm »

Try IVAN if you get a chance, too. I think it's already been mentioned. It's more of a coffee-break RL, but man, it's addicting and fun for a while.

soadsod

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 05:32:41 pm »

You have problems with nethack? @ and "c" and all that got you down? Use Falcon's eye. I remember playing nethack with Falcon's Eye when I used to have linux, although that was probably 9 or 10 years ago. In fact, of all the hours I have spent on nethack, about 3 minutes have been without tile sets of any kind.

So anyways, Falcon's eye hasn't been updated in quite a long time, and the website looks like it's from late 90's. Vulture's eye is the same thing, but it is updated. I would try to use vulture's eye first, but only because it is more up to date. Sadly,  I don't see any links for a linux build. So failing that use Falcon's eye if it will work (hopefully it does, that was how I played it when I did all those years ago.)

http://www.darkarts.co.za/vulture - Page for Vulture's eye

http://falconseye.sourceforge.net/index.html - Download page for Falcon's eye

Hope this is helpful.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 05:53:15 pm »

I really like Crawl as the baseline of what most Roguelikes try to be. If it weren't for the years of content additions it might come across as a little shallow...but WITH the content additions, it's completely fleshed out. It's also got so much UI polish that it's actually comfortable to play, unlike many Roguelikes.

Actually I played in original Crawl (that was Linley made;97-99 i think?) and man, this was something. RL-fans was mostly playing Adom back in days and crawl was a revelation to me. I started a thread in roguelike.adom FIDO (or usenet?) group and it's was clear that nobody really knew about. Even back in these days Crawl was outstanding with it's depth, especially it's magic system.
It's really really important that stone soup team take it over some angband variant and made what is DC:SS nowadays.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:55:28 pm by gogis »

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 07:13:54 pm »

Me Against the Mutants? It's browser based, so isn't exactly the biggest and deepest rogue-like, but it should work. Whether you can work the somewhat confusing gimmick of the game is another matter...

EDIT: Forgot to mention it's real time. Still an interesting rogue-like-like to spend a little bit of time on.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:58:47 pm by Strange guy »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 08:51:10 am »

Next person to write rouge-like instead of rogue-like will receive a permanent ban! :P

Seriously though, I cringe so much I break a rib every time I see that written ;)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 09:45:56 am »

Dungeons of Dredmore blows imo~

Caves of Qud and cataclysm are the way to go.
Pages: 1 [2] 3