Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673283 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2985 on: July 13, 2015, 11:59:54 am »

Ahh but you see he wants to write a book and then make it into a game!!!...???

He doesn't address anything. Has he written books before? Does he have any experience with making games? I can tell you that if he plans to hire someone to make his game, 100k is pretty skimpy by itself. If he is also living off of that money full time while writing, it will shrink very quickly.

Just... no.

His Bio is great.

I am a big family man who is a nerd in sorts, I am sci-fi crazy and have things I want to put on paper then make games with. I am 48 years old, go to school for a degree in business management! I graduate in August and want to start my own business (restaurant) of some kind, but am A one income family at the moment.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: July 13, 2015, 01:27:15 pm »

Also the pledges are amusing. At first it looks like pledge 9 to get the book, but nope. 9 thousand!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2987 on: July 13, 2015, 01:32:23 pm »

Yeah... for 5,000 USD you get... a premise?

So for 5 thousand dollars, he will send you the PREMISE of his novel/game combo. That is literally what he posted in the kickstarter to begin with.

Then at 9k you'll get the actual book and game once completed. It's just great. No thought went into this at all.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: July 13, 2015, 07:09:51 pm »

Yeah, those pledges are pretty wierd. How sure are we that this isn't a troll kickstarter?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: July 13, 2015, 07:29:10 pm »

There was a successful kickstarter for potato salad.

That was about when I got tired of kickstarter :P

* Iceblaster is not claiming kickstarter is always bad.

On another note, besides trawling through thousands of projects, there any good blogs or video series(es) that look at the worst of kickstarter? I find that stuff amusing.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: July 13, 2015, 07:30:17 pm »

Well there's Retsupurae's "Kickstarter Nonstarters". The last one was a while ago though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: July 13, 2015, 10:32:11 pm »

Well, there are three classes of bad Kickstarters:

Crap: James The Idea Guy's Novel Idea or System.out.println("I Just Learned Java And Am Making An MMO: Part" + n)* is obviously crap and fun to mock, but it's not really Kickstarter "going wrong" because they're understandably not making any money.

Scams: The Series Whose Name Rhymes With Yemen Mist Sequence Three or +1 to Privacy Defense Enchanted Routers; things where the creator uses Kickstarter to get a bunch of money and then, whether deliberately or unintentionally, fails to deliver.

Trolls: Potato Salad is the most salient example; like the above except that they're doing for the amusement or to make a point and just enjoying the money rakèd in as a side benefit.

*Hell, some of them probably don't even know that much.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: July 13, 2015, 11:39:18 pm »

Crap: James The Idea Guy's Novel Idea or System.out.println("I Just Learned Java And Am Making An MMO: Part" + n)* is obviously crap and fun to mock, but it's not really Kickstarter "going wrong" because they're understandably not making any money.

Let's not forget the patron saint of the thread.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: July 13, 2015, 11:43:13 pm »

Let's not forget the patron saint of the thread.
Ah yes.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: July 14, 2015, 01:23:42 am »

Saint Hookerbot?
Love, scriver~

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2995 on: July 14, 2015, 08:47:44 am »

Whatever happened to that amazing MMO?

Edit: I see he's had (at least) 2 failed kickstarters since then...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:54:15 am by forsaken1111 »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: July 14, 2015, 09:23:51 am »

I see he's doing great things with all that lottery money. 
Shoes...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2997 on: July 14, 2015, 09:30:23 am »

He tried to make a social media site with a bunch of boardgames on it. Not a terrible idea on the surface.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120873716/mylifebook

He only raised $2 out of $10k requested, and not a single person even commented. That's rough.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:08 am »

Not just a social media site, one to take over for looking at any of them, with a bunch of really crap looking games and 'over 20k youtube videos'.

Thats what, less than a percent of the videos there?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2999 on: July 14, 2015, 10:43:35 am »

That's why I said it isn't a terrible idea on the surface. The execution though was hamfisted and uninteresting.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 213