Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672768 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2175 on: February 11, 2013, 11:46:37 am »

Cool, I'm going to play as a Russian speaking anthropomorphic sofa, who dual wields space stations and is fighting against overgrown toadstools with shotguns.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: February 11, 2013, 12:17:43 pm »

The language it uses is really vague and silly, but looking at the gameplay videos what it actually seems to be is a 3rd person shooter with lots of customization.  That could work fine.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: February 11, 2013, 02:07:22 pm »

The language it uses is really vague and silly, but looking at the gameplay videos what it actually seems to be is a 3rd person shooter with lots of customization.  That could work fine.

That's because it's the guts of a cancelled game they were working on, that they tweaked for the demo presentation. It's not even on the engine they want to use (which is UT4). It's on UT3. I'm guessing the engine licensing is a chunk of their funding.

It's sounding like Frankenstein's game, a cancelled superhero game morphing into a dystopian 3rd person shooter, through two engines. That alone would make me skeptical, but then they dog pile on with the language of the over-reacher, saying stuff like "redefining the genre" and "redefining what people think of when they blah". So for me that's two massive red flags right from the outset, despite how much I like the basic concepts at work like customization and guns or magic. The third red flag for me is the funding goal, which I'm guessing is driven largely by their ambition. Taken together, there's tons of reasons I wouldn't back it. If they had an actual tech demo of the game in pre-production, it'd be one thing. But they're trying to sneak a a mockup in there because they have all the assets and resources from a cancelled game. Their hope is to port all that over to the new engine.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:09:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #2178 on: February 11, 2013, 07:11:33 pm »

With the completely customizable character stuff, the game sounds like a really pretty Roguelike. The third picture down with soldier with the sword on its back looks poorly done. Specifically the sword since it isn't in any sort of sheath and is just floating a few inches away from the back of the soldier. The game looks pretty, but small issues like floating items put me off.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: February 26, 2013, 07:07:10 am »

If it does go somewhere, color me surprised, we're officially living in the god damned science fiction future.

If they succeed, then it's evidence supporting the fact that we, ourselves, are simulations running on a much grander computer.

http://www.simulation-argument.com/matrix.html

Because it would mean that at least one of the following is true:

(1) The chances that a species at our current level of development can avoid going extinct before becoming technologically mature is negligibly small

(2) Almost no technologically mature civilisations are interested in running computer simulations of minds like ours

(3) You are almost certainly in a simulation.

1) is saying that no civilizations ever develop the technology to run universe simulations (because if it cannot be done, then we can't be simulated beings).
2) is saying that no civilization would want to.  If even a single civ decides to do it, and has the processing power to do so, then the number of simulated beings outnumbers the real ones by powers of 10 (that is, 1 million people running the sim 100 times each would cause 100,000,000,000,000,000 more "people" to be created).
3) if the first two are not both false, then this is true and probability states that we don't really exist (probably).

((Protip: the developers of TUP are promising to include every game ever created + stuff.  This would include TUP.*  Which means that TUP would be capable of simulating itself to n layers in faster than real time meaning that the game would need to intentionally slow itself down so we can interact with it at all, which would imply infinite computing power))

*If TUP can simulate running a modern computer + stuff on a modern computer (stated goal**), then that simulated computer should be capable of simulating a computer + stuff.  Which could then simulate another computer....which essentially implies infinite computing power.

**Ok they haven't explicitly stated that TUP will be able to simulate a computer.  But I guarantee that simulating a single 32 bit computer would be easier than simulating all of space in real time.  Which is a stated goal.

==Side note==
The Infinity Computer.

You should watch the movie "The Thirteenth Floor"

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: February 26, 2013, 10:27:05 am »

So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: February 26, 2013, 10:41:21 am »

Screw your simulators, these guys are thinking BIG:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461687407/kickstarter-open-source-death-star

This should obviously have been in the "When Kickstarter goes right" thread.

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: February 26, 2013, 10:55:12 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461687407/kickstarter-open-source-death-star

This should obviously have been in the "When Kickstarter goes right" thread.
It is hilarious, but as a joke, it could give Kickstarter bad publicity.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: February 26, 2013, 12:15:29 pm »

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: February 26, 2013, 12:24:20 pm »

They already got 2000backers and 300k$ (for 20m$ goal). And there's comment about people pledging 7500$  :D

Apparently, there's also concurrent rebels projects

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: February 26, 2013, 12:32:56 pm »

Apparently, there's also concurrent rebels projects

That would have to be this one:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/simonkwan/crowdfunding-rebel-alliance-x-wing-squadron

Currently the alliance is winning.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: February 26, 2013, 01:09:28 pm »

The guy who made that one, that Simon Kwan dude, is also backing the death star one though.

COULD IT BE A SECRET EMPIRE PROJECT TO DRAIN FUNDING FROM THE OPPOSITION AND GAIN MORE FOR THEMSELVES?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: February 26, 2013, 07:43:07 pm »

............HOW HAVE THESE NOT BEEN TAKEN DOWN YET? It's so obvious it's a joke/scam, and yet....
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: February 26, 2013, 08:51:21 pm »

If they do get funded, Kickstarter makes a lot of money.

Also publicity I guess.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: February 26, 2013, 10:48:25 pm »

Quote from: X wing project
Risks and challenges  As with the Death Star, our biggest challenge is making sure Kickstarter and all of our Backers know that this is also a joke. We LOVE the Death Star Kickstarter project, and just wanted to post the logical challenge project to it.
In the hilarious and unlikely event that we come close to reaching our Funding Goal, we'll pull the plug on the project. We might have an actual engineer on our team, but Simon has no clue how to build an X-Wing. Well, nothing more complex than a Lego model, anyways.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 213