Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673043 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #660 on: April 26, 2012, 05:03:39 pm »

I still wonder which processor he's using. Machine code is worthless without a CPU to actually do the calculations.

Also, he appears to be a fan of non-recursive coding styles. To simulate a universe, the code would conceivably be finished at some point, long before eons have passed, unless he's hardcoding every single iteration. Then again he could just be placing the nigh infinitesimal amount of required starting variables, but that wouldn't be code -- it'd be data (EDIT: Not even that, now that I think about it, since some simple additional code could set all those rather than hardcoding them).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:06:27 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #661 on: April 26, 2012, 05:12:58 pm »

That reminds me of a story I heard back in the '80's

A guy is rushing through an airport, and asks another man for the time.

The man put down his two suitcases, looks at his watch, and says "10:37, what flight are you on?"

"108 to Chicago"

The man pokes his watch a couple times and says "Oh, don't worry, you flight was delayed because..."

(poke, poke)

"There is a thunderstorm expected in Chicago when it would arrive." the man finished.

"Did you get that information from your watch?" the guy asked.

"Oh yes, I have airport, traffic, weather, and news reports from across the country available on it"

"Wow! where did you get it?"

"I built it myself at home"

"Can I buy it from you?"

"Oh no, I couldn't sell it, it's one of a kind!"

"I'm a very wealthy man, I'll give you one million dollars for it, surely you could afford to make another with that much money"

"Well... OK"

The guy writes out a check for the million dollars, and the man uses the watch to confirm from a news article the guy is rich, and hands him the watch, and shows him how to use it.

"Thanks again for selling it, this watch will be the envy of my friends", the guy says as he resumes walking to his flight.

"Hang on", the man says as he picks up his two heavy suitcases, "Don't you want the batteries?"
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 26, 2012, 05:44:06 pm »

I still wonder which processor he's using. Machine code is worthless without a CPU to actually do the calculations.

Also, he appears to be a fan of non-recursive coding styles. To simulate a universe, the code would conceivably be finished at some point, long before eons have passed, unless he's hardcoding every single iteration. Then again he could just be placing the nigh infinitesimal amount of required starting variables, but that wouldn't be code -- it'd be data (EDIT: Not even that, now that I think about it, since some simple additional code could set all those rather than hardcoding them).

he's not coding a universe, nor does he need a CPU, he already coded the universe in the begining of time and he is running the code by hand, he is the cpu

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 26, 2012, 05:49:54 pm »

If so, he'd be moving around rocks instead of making additional rows. Setting RAM bits and the like.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 26, 2012, 05:57:50 pm »

If so, he'd be moving around rocks instead of making additional rows. Setting RAM bits and the like.

Depends on your concept of what's storage.

As you notice in the comic it says that a an algorithm that moves from row to row is just as turing complete as a computer is, therefore, it's irrelevant.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 26, 2012, 05:58:48 pm »

xkcd, derailer of threads. :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #666 on: April 26, 2012, 07:14:53 pm »

We can't derail yet, I have not created up to the time period of trains so the term is currently non-existent.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 26, 2012, 10:53:38 pm »

We can't derail yet, I have not created up to the time period of trains so the term is currently non-existent.
Maybe not trains, but don't forget about the minecarts.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 30, 2012, 12:11:26 am »

3 days left for Your World. A few people have added $85 of donations, for a total of $1,225 "actual" donations if you discount the two $10,000 dollars which are almost certainly trolls or Ellwood trying to make his project look significant. I can't say how much of the $1225 remainder is trolls as well though.

There's only been one more comment on the comments thread, just some misspelled derision towards Mr. Bartlett. I'm still waiting for more word though- I'd be shocked if he didn't add some kind of parting shot before the kickstarter closes. Will he:

A) Write a smug, hate-filled rant against everyone who didn't donate for ruining what could have been the greatest game ever. Bonus points for not realizing how many people agreeing with him/pledging are trolls.
B) Proclaim that the project is still going to be funded out of pocket, but you aren't getting in for free!
C) Actually give up on Your World. Bonus points if he learns nothing and starts another project shortly thereafter.
D) Other.

Place your bets!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 30, 2012, 12:13:33 am »

He will do A,B,and C in order.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 30, 2012, 12:14:25 am »

A and B, followed by C in a few weeks/days depending on how stupid he actually is.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 30, 2012, 12:16:54 am »

What happens when 100 people simultaneously joke-donate $10,000?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 30, 2012, 12:22:38 am »

What happens when 100 people simultaneously joke-donate $10,000?

Then they have to pull their money, something lik 36 hours before the project closes, then it gets locked into place, and you'll get 10k (or as much as can be pulled out) and they'll probably get a bitchy notice from both Kickstarter and their bank.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #673 on: April 30, 2012, 12:35:08 am »

The most likely amount of money to be donated at this point is $112. Also a then b then c as well.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 30, 2012, 01:48:28 am »

Extremely late with this comment but "Sunofabitch he stole my funnel with a breathing tube idea" :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 213