Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Private Spaceflight Thread: Antares rocket launch successful  (Read 27568 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Private Spaceflight Thread
« Reply #165 on: April 05, 2013, 05:54:56 am »

SpaceX and their Grasshopper is making progress. Looks very Kerbal'y to me, they've just grabbed a stock Falcon fuel tank and a Merlin engine and attached some landing struts to it (along with some extra control systems).

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 05, 2013, 06:24:30 am »

Hopefully they can get it to work in a meaningful way. no doubt they can get them to land back on the pad..., but getting it to work cost effectively is another thing, as this would be effectively reducing payload due to some fuel not being burnt in the stages.
Magma is overrated.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2013, 06:32:21 am »

Didn't they do the same thing a few months ago?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2013, 06:35:02 am »

And what happens when it is built?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2013, 06:36:38 am »

I am disappointed by the lack of mouseover text.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2013, 11:08:24 am »

Yep; this test went twice as high though.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2013, 11:53:43 am »

Yep; this test went twice as high though.
If they continue doing this...

We will reach Mars in exactly ten years :D! Assuming it will be at it's closest point to Earth then.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 05, 2013, 01:16:56 pm »

I am disappointed by the lack of mouseover text.
The corresponding texts are:
If you think space elevators are good, but just too boring and practical, check out the 'space fountain'.
and
Although really, the damage was done when the party planners took the hole punch to the elevator ribbon to hold up the sign.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 05, 2013, 08:44:09 pm »

SpaceX and their Grasshopper is making progress. Looks very Kerbal'y to me, they've just grabbed a stock Falcon fuel tank and a Merlin engine and attached some landing struts to it (along with some extra control systems).

Neat but isn't it overkill compared to just attaching a parachute and having a surface recovery team?

Of course I might be thinking in the shuttle mentality of needing repairs after every mission.  Maybe you could launch, refill and launch without any frills?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2013, 02:36:49 am »

Neat but isn't it overkill compared to just attaching a parachute and having a surface recovery team?

Of course I might be thinking in the shuttle mentality of needing repairs after every mission.  Maybe you could launch, refill and launch without any frills?
The main issue being these are the size of a building. Parachutes work when it's a capsule, the size of a small room, but not a full first stage casing. Grasshopper is a little over 100 feet tall. Creating parachutes large and durable enough to slow that to the point where it's recoverable would be nearly impossible. Similarly, it needs to land very gently and without tipping over and bumping/rolling along the ground. The last thing you want is a giant non-aerodynamic dent in your rocket which, assuming it doesn't damage critical systems, will still completely throw off your maneuvering. Landing int he water is equally problematic, as it requires a very thorough and immediate cleaning to get rid of the salt water (highly corrosive) and to make sure nothing gets jammed up by having seawater shoved in it. It's why then intend to eventually have the dragon capsule itself land in a similar manner.

It also takes a big bunch of other stuff to recover the vehicle. Basically an entire search and rescue team, complete with boats, helicopters, etc. It's also less predictable, so it has to be done in a remote area where no aircraft or other boats would be nearby.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 10, 2013, 02:37:00 am »

First post in this thread, but has anyone seen this?

Might make Mars and beyond an economic proposition!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 10, 2013, 02:51:39 am »

While the thread is up: there's a rocket launch from Orbital Sciences on the 17th.
http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/MissionUpdates/Antares_Test_Flight/
They will be launching their Antares rocket for the first time; according to its wiki, it has a pretty different design from SpaceX's Falcon rockets. It's a 3 stage system, with a first stage consisting of LOX + RP-1, like the Falcon's 1st stage (aka liquid fuel rockets for you KSP players out there). The first stage consists of 2 NK-33 engines, leftovers from the old Soviet N-1 moon rockets. Second stage is a solid fuel rocket, so that's new (the Falcons use liquid rockets for all the stages). Third stage is optional, and can consist of either liquid rockets or solid rockets.

All in all, an entirely different rocket; so it may be worth watching to find out what happens.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2013, 06:59:28 am »

I hope it works. The N-1 wasn't exactly known for reliability.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2013, 03:49:58 pm »

Bit of an update: 10 minutes until the new Antares rocket launches!
Link: http://www.space.com/17933-nasa-television-webcasts-live-space-tv.html

The reason it's launching today rather than the 17th as schedules was because of a tech and weather hold put on it the previous 2 attempts.

First stage separation complete, second stage burning.

And the launch was a success. So now there's a new kid in space-town.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:13:57 pm by alway »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Private Spaceflight Thread: Antares rocket launch successful
« Reply #179 on: April 22, 2013, 11:49:39 am »

Apparently they already got a contract with NASA for 8 lauches to the ISS. Good to see competitions for private-sector launchers. :)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13