Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to safely mine? Spoilers  (Read 1693 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to safely mine? Spoilers
« on: March 14, 2012, 07:54:58 pm »

Spoiler thread

There is a good sized vein of adamantine that I am trying to mine, but it is completely submerged in magma. I built a large pit directly over the top of the magma and channeled out the floor. Then I pumped in water. Now heres the tricky part. sometimes floaty bits of wall and floor get created and immediately drop, causing a cave-in, this can cause magma to splash up, mix with water and creates obsidian walls on multiple Z-levels. I wasn't paying attention and after I drained the water to channel the newly created obsidian, I had the left over floors crashdown and kill my miner.  There has to be a better way.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: How to safely mine? Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:13:17 pm »

There has to be a better way.
Actually, I'm not sure there is one. If you find one, be sure to let us know.
The way I get to that hard to reach cotton candy is to throw down buckets of water next to it to make walls.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:36:46 pm »

so your trying to cast the magma see just to obtain adamantine? awesome.

the floating tiles/falling floors is an inherent issue with the fact that water+lava ALWAYS = obsidian, even in midair.

try FZ's method.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:43:14 pm »

If you do try the bucket thing, do it from 2 z-levels up, since for some reason doing it from directly above just makes steam.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 12:45:30 am »

If you do try the bucket thing, do it from 2 z-levels up, since for some reason doing it from directly above just makes steam.

1 Zlevel isn't placing water on lava, its trying to replace lava with water. 2 Zlevels creates a 1/7 of water that falls onto the lava.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 05:08:00 am »

Oh, that sounds a lot safer than imprecise pumps and flood gates. I'll give that a try

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 06:42:12 am »

You need a 2z drop otherwise the lava will clog the hole and you'll have a single block.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 08:22:21 am »

I think I fugured out the method to  deliver water by pump. You want the water to flow in from the side, and no drop straight down, that way, any and all obsidian forms against the side and has something to attach to. Second, I found that digging a large square of downstairs is better than a large square of channels. Dwarfs are stupid, they will cause cave-ins on themselfs if you dont micromanage the designations a single row at a time.  the downstairs lets water through to solidify the magma, then you can safely mass designate the downstairs after the water is drained/evaporated.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:04:21 am »

I haven't done anything like this before... buut (pretend the A is 4x4 instead of 2x2)

M M M M M M M M
M M M M M M M M
M M M M M M M M
M M M M M M M M
M M M
A A M M M
M M M
A A M M M
M M M M M M M M
M M M M M M M M
M M M M M M M M
M M M M M M M M

using buckets (O = obsidian wall) Go inner->outer to avoid cave collapses.  Once you dig out the inner obsidian walls, the adamantine can be mined without fear (of magma).  to keep going, dig out the obsidian walls and channel the floors further.

M M M M M M M M
O O O O  O O O O
O O O O  O O O O
O O O O  O O O O
O O O A  A  O O O
O O O A  A  O O O
O O O O  O O O O
O O O O  O O O O
O O O O  O O O O
M M M M M M M M

dig out the inner 2 rings of obsidian (ADD A SUPPORT TO THE OUTER RING FIRST), channel the middle ring into the magma again (o = open space over magma, f = obsidian floor)

M M M M M M M M
O O O O  O O O O
O o  o o   o o  o O
O o  o o   o o  o O
O o  o A  A o  o  O
O o  o A  A o  o  O
O o  o o   o o  o O
O o  o o   o o  o O
O O O O  O O O O
M M M M M M M M

mine the Adamantine, pour water over the open spaces creating a smaller ring of obsidian 1 level below, again starting with the inner ring first.  Remember the inner ring is support for the outer ring, but once the outer ring is cast you need to add a support to it before channeling the inner ring.

A 3-thick border of obsidian will give you access to 2 levels of adamantine, and each level down takes increasingly more work.  On the upside, you can plan for 2 levels and use what you've done to extend it to 3 without wasting much of your previous work.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:31:36 am »

Mine is a 20x20 room directly above the magma sea, centered over the admantine spike. I have a 2 wide tunnel leading to a water reservoir. Not an unlimited reservoir, just a holding tank that has to be manually refilled by a pump from the infinite source(river, aquifer, lake) The same reservoir that I use under my drinking well. The 2 wide tunnel has a floodgate linked to a lever to turn the water on and off. I have a guy manually pumping more water in while the gate is open. Its a double failsafe. I can always stop making him pump if something goes wrong with the floodgates.

Once the plumbing is all setup, I designate the entire 20x20 room with downstairs. Let the miners carve the stairs then evacuate. Open the floodgates and pump water in. Be very careful not to let in too much. You'll want just enough to create obsidian walls on the Z-level directly below without more than 1-2 water left on the downstairs. Send in a miner to designate a 18x18 square of up/down stairs inside the box on the Z-level below. this will dig out all the obsidian/adamantine ready to be hauled away and reveal the next layer of magma beneath, ready for the next water bath.

Each layer you go down need to be 1 tile smaller on every side. Leave an obsidian wall to hold back the magma as you go deeper. It will look like an upside down pyramid. If you need to go really deep, make the initial 20x20 room even bigger.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:22:52 am by GoldenShadow »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 10:56:05 am »

I safely mined about 5 layers of obsidian. But the new problem is water isn't freezing the magma anymore. the water is falling about 5 Z-levels and just puffs into steam when it hits the magma and no obsidian is formed. Any ideas?

edit: Realized the magma that isn't turning into obsidian is called a Magma Flow, instead of regular magma, when looking with k.  Can magma flows not be obsidianed?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:05:53 am by GoldenShadow »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 11:30:04 am »

CONGRATULATIONS, you dug out SMR, Magma flow is the final barrier in the world, preventing you from going further even after digging out the undiggable.

however controlled cave ins of cast obsidian can drop obsidian onto it that you can channel, this revealing more SMR, to drop more obsidian onto then channel.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 12:50:40 pm »

CONGRATULATIONS, you dug out SMR, Magma flow is the final barrier in the world, preventing you from going further even after digging out the undiggable.

however controlled cave ins of cast obsidian can drop obsidian onto it that you can channel, this revealing more SMR, to drop more obsidian onto then channel.

I don't understand what you're telling me. Here is what happened.
O= Obsidian
S= stairs
MF=magma flows
~= Magma Sea
Side view:
Code: [Select]
~~~Magma Sea~OsssssssssssO~Magma Sea~~~
~~~Magma Sea~~OsssssssssO~~Magma Sea~~~
~~~Magma Sea~~~OsssssssO~~~Magma Sea~~~
        ~~~~~~Magma Flow~~~~~~
    ++++++++Semi Molten Rock+++++++

I can't make obsidian from the bottom most layer of the magma sea since it is flowing, and thus I can't mine out a substantial portion of raw adamantine ore adjacent to those magma tiles. If I mine them, they will fill up with magma and I can't retrieve them.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:21:03 pm by GoldenShadow »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 01:04:03 pm »

The "Magma flow" that you are seeing is called Semi-Molten Rock, or SMR. For all intents and purposes it works equivalently to undiggable stone with a fancy name, and if you dig out ore located in SMR (such as adamantine), then the SMR will not flow sideways and fill the empty space (note that normal magma could still flow in from the top or any non-SMR sides). Be careful as SMR tends to be the final boundary before hell, so if you are mining an adamantine vein down that low there is a good chance you will breach the empty space soon.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 01:20:35 pm »

but it says Magma Flow  Magma [7/7]
When I dig next to it, that magma flows into the adjacent tile.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:26:54 pm by GoldenShadow »
Pages: [1] 2