Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can anyone explain this to me? (Wagons & Trade Depots)  (Read 4645 times)

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can anyone explain this to me? (Wagons & Trade Depots)
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:58:22 pm »

Why would the outside and depot be inaccessible, yet the main hallway is accessible?

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone explain this to me? (Wagons & Trade Depots)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:03:49 pm »

If there is a one tile wide space from the edge of the map to the depot, merchants can access it. I don't think they bring the three tile wide wagons anymore. But they have to be able to walk to your depot.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:10:00 pm »

They do still bring wagons. You have to have a road built first, iirc.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:12:49 pm »

Why would the outside and depot be inaccessible, yet the main hallway is accessible?

Depot accessibility is traced starting at your depot and then tracing outwards to the map edge.  Your depot is shown as the yellow "D" letters.  The tiles marked green are the path traced outwards from your depot that wagons can reach.  That path doesn't reach the map edge, so your depot is not accessible.

They do still bring wagons. You have to have a road built first, iirc.

You don't need a road.  You just need a three tile wide clear path.  Building a road to the edge of the map is one way to do that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 07:45:44 pm »

You probably have a closed drawbridge at the north end of the green stripe. Or a section narrower than 3 tiles. Maybe you kept it narrower so you could use doors?

Icefire2314: They now use wagons once again. They did in the distant past, then stopped, but now do again. If you don't have a 3-wide path, some of them will still come with pack animals, but the wagons will bypass your fort. The path has to be open when they would arrive on your map, and you don't get advance notice to open things up. So if you want the full caravan, you have to keep your doors open whenever they might be arriving.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:53:53 pm »

Oh. that would explain why I haven't gotten any wagons :P
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 11:01:03 pm »

Only access needs to be the 3 wide path leading from Depot to map edge. Draw bridges can be built to the maps edge once raised, act as walls. Along the pathway, build walls as far as you can build them, then use the bridges as a extension of the walls. Until this is done, caravans can randomly appear along the maps edge. No path for wagons to travel, no wagons(extra trade goods).
 This will help much steering(pathing) the caravans to the depot, but the bridges will still be needed to lower if migrants, or liaisons appear, if just temporarily, maybe not if its migrants.:). Also lower it if you are needing goblinite from a siege, with a good deathtrap ready, of course
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 12:10:16 am »

I'm wondering why, I just got a msg, that the human trade convoy is about to leave.  And as far as I can tell they never finished unloading there wagons..  Ea time I click to trade, my trader is there, they tell me they are still unloading.  Yet just a sec ago, I heard the soundsense dong, letting me know, they are leaving.. Hmm.  Trading is still a bit hard to understand, for me too.  I'm getting wagons, however.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 03:27:23 am »

I'm wondering why, I just got a msg, that the human trade convoy is about to leave.  And as far as I can tell they never finished unloading there wagons..  Ea time I click to trade, my trader is there, they tell me they are still unloading.  Yet just a sec ago, I heard the soundsense dong, letting me know, they are leaving.. Hmm.  Trading is still a bit hard to understand, for me too.  I'm getting wagons, however.  Sincerely, Knutor

This sounds like an older bug that related to traders having brought a great many light items to trade.

I've never seen this bug myself, but apparently for certain maps or the computers running them, it's possible for traders to have packed so many single items (and light items allow for more overall to be packed into the wagons) that they are still unloading when it's time to leave the map, so they start packing up again.

I recommend offering saves of this kinda thing up for inspection of the bug - an ideal save of it might be a couple of game days before the traders are about to start packing back up, and of course while they are still unloading (otherwise there's no bug)
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 07:05:20 pm »

There was one oxe and trader fleeing a kobold, while the rest of the caravan was cowering inside, looking busy, telling me they were unloading, etc...  I just missed the kobold alert.  One of the downfalls of playing in a 6x6 region, instead of 3x3.  My fault now in retrospect.  Prolly not a bug, just a sneaky hidden feature or uninvited guest, heh.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 07:16:24 pm »

Nope, if one trader gets killed, all the others run like hell. Doesn't matter if they were all already inside, unloading.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 07:22:57 pm »

As well, the trading cannot start until all traders are fully unloaded - so that one running around explains the issue.  Good luck!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 10:22:38 pm »

Normal AI for kobolds is to flee after loss of their stealth.  I wonder why the lil bugger kept pursuing that caravan trader, he must have been interested in their ox.  Thanks for the info.  That clears that up.  Very interesting how this game sometimes resolves.  I'd have never worked that out, without your help.  Just appeared to be a buggy caravan to me, I was rushing around trying to keep all my dwarfs busy.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 04:19:12 am »

I'm also having Wagon trouble and not seeing why only a single path is allowed... outside it doesn't show any access at all.  The outside is all red, yet the single pathed merchants still visit me.  I've done clear cutting of the forest outside so there's nothing except plants.

The Trade Depot and Corridor:

The Blocking Path Screen:

What could I be missing?   Could the constructed stairway be causing a problem?

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 04:56:03 am »

The stairs are the problem, wagons can only use ramps.
Pages: [1] 2