Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Grasshopper for sale  (Read 2315 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant Grasshopper for sale
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:30:43 pm »

The elves are selling a giant grasshopper and based on the weight this thing is ten times the size of a water buffalo...  my question is can I use this creature for defense?  I know it's tame, but if something struck the creature would it fight back... or would it run away in terror?

Any uses for the giant grasshopper besides breeding or eating?

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Grasshopper for sale
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:54:40 pm »

I believe, since it's tame already, you just need to stick it in a pasture zone with your kennel and train it into a War Giant Grasshopper. Then it won't flee from much of anything.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 02:57:03 pm »

They don't appear to be grazers, so no worries about it starving.  They do seem to lack the CHILD tag, so you probably can't breed it.  And they don't seem to be trainable into War Giant Grasshoppers without modding.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 03:01:27 pm »

According to the Wiki, only a few animals/beasts can be trained and giant grasshoppers are not one of them.  I guess I will just use it as a distraction if something wicked walks too close.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:15:01 pm »

Guess what most bug's natural lifespan is. Now guess if the giant versions live any longer.

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 08:47:58 am »

Aww, guess I've only tried training the right animals into War versions. Bears and tigers work just fine. I guess a "giant" variety is more a monster than an animal.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:53:32 am »

+Giant grasshopper roasts anyone?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:59:06 am »

If I'm reading the raws right, it's not butcherable...

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:14:48 am »

I think it is good for defense even if you don't train it as a war animal. I once bought a tame giant hamster from the elves, put it on a pasture outside and it attacked goblins just fine, it was even pretty good at slaughtering them :-)
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 09:17:51 am »

If I'm reading the raws right, it's not butcherable...

Grasshoppers aren't butcherable, but the GIANT creature variation removes the NOT_BUTCHERABLE tag, so giant grasshoppers should be butcherable.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 09:20:34 am »

Thank you, Sphalerite.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 10:29:23 am »

[CREATURE:GRASSHOPPER]
...snip...
[MAXAGE:1:1]

I'm interested in seeing how long he lives. All my giant bugs die of old age within a year.  :'(

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 02:10:51 pm »

I discovered that these things are terribly difficult to kill with a mace in adventurer mode.  It wasn't really anything resembling a threat though.
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 05:00:08 pm »

Many times I just need a distraction or more time... so far I've had him for 2 seasons inside his cage and he's still alive.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 05:14:42 pm »

Creatures seem to die of old age on the first day of spring, so it'll probably die then.