Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Hurray for bugfixes!  (Read 12395 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hurray for bugfixes!
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2012, 04:21:59 pm »

Okay so now it's the dungeon master, nekked dwarves and good/evil plant life. Any guesses for the next long standing bug to be squished?
I would pay real money to see goblin sieges actually able to destroy walls, gates and earth barriers.  It's so sad knowing a massive goblin siege is powerless against a closed gate.    :(

I read it that he currently has a problem with dwarves missing a hand trying to put on a gauntlet...
This is funny to try and visualize a dwarf confused why the gauntlet keeps falling to the ground. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:25:39 pm by NTJedi »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2012, 04:45:21 pm »

Yeah I had a fort were allot of dwarfs kept losing an entire leg. Turned out they were wearing full steel armour, with the exception if greaves.

I've also lost count of the number of times dwarfs have run into battle after first getting rid of their weapon.

This release will he great.

This sort of stuff was said about the bugfix releases like 31.25, though...

There's always another crippling bug.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2012, 05:11:10 pm »

Crippling?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2012, 05:26:01 pm »

Yeah I had a fort were allot of dwarfs kept losing an entire leg. Turned out they were wearing full steel armour, with the exception if greaves.

I've also lost count of the number of times dwarfs have run into battle after first getting rid of their weapon.

This release will he great.

This sort of stuff was said about the bugfix releases like 31.25, though...

There's always another crippling bug.

i saw what you did there.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2012, 06:57:35 pm »

Okay so now it's the dungeon master, nekked dwarves and good/evil plant life. Any guesses for the next long standing bug to be squished?
I would pay real money to see goblin sieges actually able to destroy walls, gates and earth barriers.  It's so sad knowing a massive goblin siege is powerless against a closed gate.    :(

Haha yeah, I don't know why Toady isn't worked on enhancing the sieges yet...it's on the dev site anyway, but hell knows when is this going ot be added. I am waiting for this for years, and still nothing. Well this + Military Arc & Diplomacy features. [Overland armies etc. etc.]

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2012, 07:42:32 pm »

Crippling?

I mean that people focus in on the bugs that most interrupt their playstyle.  "Most" being the operative word. 

Toady appears to be going through the bugs listed in the "worst bug" poll, but the thing about "worst" is that as soon as you knock one down, the next one on the list rises up.

Toady's getting rid of some of the most jarring bugs, but there are still things like dwarves wanting to drop everything to go collect socks, one at a time, from dead dwarves while goblins are still chopping his liver to bits, which are only given a more easy-to-use workaround for the time being in the form of forbid-on-death and burrows.  (So that now the "monarch butterfly keeps the door open" bug isn't quite as notable.)

But it's still mostly a game where we have a lot of workarounds and bugs/emergent game behavior resulting from unrealities that are essentially becoming a part of the fabric of the game that will one day be eliminated.  Catsplosions and kitten genocides are basically not meant to be part of gameplay.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2012, 07:55:52 pm »

Crippling?

Catsplosions and kitten genocides are basically not meant to be part of gameplay.
Even if the necessity for this is no longer needed, it's installed into the playerbase and won't go away anytime soon. Personally, I don't really care if the catsplosion and kitten genocide never gets fixed; but meh.  Some people probably disagree, and they certainly have good reason too.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 08:21:50 pm »

It's pretty funny that allot.of.bugs and dodgy features cancel each other out.

For example the military equipment and weaponry bug is cancelled out by the goblins suicidal willingness to walk into weapons traps and have almost no concept of self preservation.

The only really irritating bug for me is the fact I can't stockpile gems or gem artifact items and furniture. Which mean that I have lost an artifact diamond crown to a thief because I couldn't move the bloody thing and my first jewellery workshop was outside!

Still as bugs go that's more petty annoyance than game breaking.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2012, 08:45:28 pm »

The only really irritating bug for me is the fact I can't stockpile gems or gem artifact items and furniture. Which mean that I have lost an artifact diamond crown to a thief because I couldn't move the bloody thing and my first jewellery workshop was outside!

Still as bugs go that's more petty annoyance than game breaking.

That's sort of the point I was trying to make: You basically latch onto the one or two most annoying bugs, but if those are gone, then it doesn't mean everything's OK, it just means that the bugs you didn't pay as much attention to will now get your full attention.

Sort of like having a rock in your shoe, and cutting your arm and bleeding at the same time - you probably only pay attention to one of those, until the other, bigger problems are gone, then you start getting really bugged by the remaining.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2012, 01:45:21 am »

For example the military equipment and weaponry bug is cancelled out by the goblins suicidal willingness to walk into weapons traps and have almost no concept of self preservation.
"goblins suicidal willingness" - not a bug.

That's sort of the point I was trying to make: You basically latch onto the one or two most annoying bugs, but if those are gone, then it doesn't mean everything's OK, it just means that the bugs you didn't pay as much attention to will now get your full attention.

Sort of like having a rock in your shoe, and cutting your arm and bleeding at the same time - you probably only pay attention to one of those, until the other, bigger problems are gone, then you start getting really bugged by the remaining.
Yeah, it is true. But there is better to have biggest bug "healthcare is sometimes not working" rather than "healthcare is thoroughly broken, never works and sometimes crashes the game".
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2012, 08:29:51 am »

I think describing any of these bugs as crippling is perhaps exaggeration.

Instant crash when weapon traps are uses, crippling.
Dwarves not waking up, crippling.

I havent had problems with dwarves running to collect socks since I started playing 40d and lost a few dwarves to carp.  Never seems to be a problem anymore.  Maybe since I burrow everyone as soon as there is any danger, then let them out to gather when its safe.  Hang on,  I dont want the current system changed!  I will have to go add my thoughts to the 'bug' report.

Dont get me wrong though, this is a very useful list.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2012, 01:11:25 pm »

"goblins suicidal willingness" - not a bug.
Never said it was, I also mentioned dodgy features, which I would count marching willingly into traps as a dodgy system.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]