Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Hurray for bugfixes!  (Read 12405 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hurray for bugfixes!
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2012, 05:29:13 am »

nope, havn't had that one... maybe im lucky?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2012, 10:28:22 am »

Toady mentioned he fixed the problem with dwarves trying to put on socks and shoes in the wrong order, so I suspect that the process of equipping things has been streamlined and improved.  Part of the problem is that it can be difficult to tell if you've got too much layering or some conflict on what can be worn in other ways, so some sort of indicator for this would be nice.  Got no idea how that would work though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2012, 12:35:08 pm »

... i meant other than that, though i am wondering why people have 'part-time' militaries, not like the hairy midgets will learn any decent skills via 'part-time' training.

Well occasionally the biggest strongest dwarf in the fort will also wind up being one of your better weaponsmiths. Then, you want her to make the things she hits people with.  :)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2012, 03:57:02 pm »

well i don't check stats, just whether they have no useful civilian skills.

my military is more... if they survive a siege they are good.

also, maybe its layer stacking that causes your bugs? i always tell them to only put one thing on each bodypart

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2012, 05:21:47 pm »

umm... what ARE the current 'erratic military equipping bugs'? i don't have any issues with military gear as long as i dont draft miners/woodcutters/hunters.

so im kinda curious as to what the current issues are.
Mainly this one and its numerous child issues:
bug #535: Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2012, 05:26:05 pm »

wow, it would seem that everything about how i handle the military avoids those bugs...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2012, 09:27:56 pm »

wow, it would seem that everything about how i handle the military avoids those bugs...

That's how "strategy" in this game really works, though - you just find the workarounds to the bugs, and understand the mechanics enough to take advantage of the exploits.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2012, 02:32:11 am »

Most of them can be avoided or tweaked around...but if you dont do it careful/right its a damn mess

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2012, 03:46:31 am »

no i mean i advoided these issues via sheer ignorance that they existed.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2012, 12:24:07 pm »

no i mean i avoided these issues via sheer ignorance that they existed.
Same, I never understood the problem people had with the military
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2012, 12:53:08 pm »

I've never had huge military problems in 0.31.25, but the little buggers do seem awfully resistant to putting on steel gauntlets and boots for some reason, and that's annoying. I always worked around the woodcutter/miner/hunter conflict with weapon-equipping easily enough by turning off those labors in military dwarves.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2012, 01:17:34 pm »

I've never had huge military problems in 0.31.25, but the little buggers do seem awfully resistant to putting on steel gauntlets and boots for some reason, and that's annoying. I always worked around the woodcutter/miner/hunter conflict with weapon-equipping easily enough by turning off those labors in military dwarves.
It could have been the handedness bug (fixed in next version), a layering bug (fixed in next version), or armor production/equipping order bug (open bug).  Hopefully that last one (bug #4932: "Dwarves try to equip armor in order of its production instead of in order specified by uniform") is getting fixed as well.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:19:43 pm by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2012, 04:10:05 pm »

Ooh, I bet it's the third. Because instead of putting on the shiny new *steel gauntlets* I made for them, they insist on wearing the bronze or copper crap I threw together/ bought from caravans, if that applies to the bug in question. I don't bother with much armor layering for my military dwarves (so far).

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2012, 09:45:43 pm »

yeah my army always fails cause someone didn't put a boot or glove on and they lose a hand and then somehow my army ends up losing...cause I guess that one guy was super important lol.

More irritating though is that on occasion after these unnecessary injuries happen the quirky medical system sometimes doesn't decide to care for them.

To me its just one bug that falls into another bug that is just a really irritating chain reaction (to me)

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2012, 10:06:51 pm »

Yeah I had a fort were allot of dwarfs kept losing an entire leg. Turned out they were wearing full steel armour, with the exception if greaves.

I've also lost count of the number of times dwarfs have run into battle after first getting rid of their weapon.

This release will he great.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5