Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Games that are good without audio (and on a laptop)  (Read 3249 times)

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Games that are good without audio (and on a laptop)
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 10:29:05 am »

Spelunky.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 10:33:21 am »

Spelunky.

I really like Spelunky. It is REALLY tough but the skills you earn while playing it is very real.

If it is a Roguelike (and to me it isn't but it is often called one) then it is really the best kind of roguelike.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 01:32:48 pm »

Master of Orion II
Any of the Civilization series - though the graphics requirements are getting higher. My laptop won't even run Civ IV never mind V.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 01:53:20 pm »

Master of Orion II
Any of the Civilization series - though the graphics requirements are getting higher. My laptop won't even run Civ IV never mind V.

MoO2 reminds me of Masters of Magic (sort of Heroes of Might & Magic meets Civilizations). Both are good 4X DOS titles. As far as the Civ series goes, I actually prefer Alpha Centauri (with or without the expansion) over Civs 1-3.

If your laptop can run them, Black Isle games (Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series) are good RPGs that don't suffer that much from the lack of sound. There are some voice actors in those games that do really good job, but games as a whole don't suffer from the lack of them that much. Planescape: Torment is another Black Isle game but I personally feel that it would suffer more from the lack of audio. It's one of the few games that I could kinda sorta classify as a visual novel.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 05:40:12 pm »

Cave Story, or I Wanna Be The Guy. I don't think you can get it for free legally, but Rollercoaster Tycoon is good too.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 07:08:59 pm »

I'll vote for if just for size Dwarf Fortress and Cataclysm  RL.
The hard drive crashed in my laptop and so now I'm running Ubuntu form a flash drive.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 10:58:55 pm »

I'd go for either Football Manager, or Distant Worlds.
Pages: 1 [2]