Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure to Fortress transition.. advice?  (Read 975 times)

Phynhas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure to Fortress transition.. advice?
« on: March 10, 2012, 03:55:16 am »

Just want some advice or general thoughts as to what you guys would do, so here's my situation. I'm in adventure mode, playing "Onuth Bloodtemple the Holy Sewer" or whatever his name is (I've modded humans slightly, like using HOLY names). His civ, the only (living) human one in the immediate area, is going to be the one I start a human fort with soon.

Now, Mr. Bloodtemple has several options here. Dozens of werebeast lairs in the countryside (many now empty), two known vampires in the city, a creepy ghost town (dead human civ) to the southwest, and the only necromancer tower in the world not far south.

My situation is that one of the vampires is the Queen. She's been queen for 250 years, eight thousand kills, and her father became king in year 1. Duh, right? Well, at this point, she doesn't even bother to change her name ("Anoth Moralfells"), and has become a tyrant after "arousing suspicion". Townspeople have basically said they know damn well she's a vamp, but are afraid to take her out. She used to be a ranger, and is probably pretty good with a missile weapon.

But... I definitely don't want to kill her, because she's awesome.  The other vamp (5,000 kills, also a former king of another civ who either actually fought with Queen Moralfells at some point in the past, or it may have been his son?) is in an inaccessible part of the sewers I can't get to unless I no longer need oxygen.  So, I can't get to him unless I kill her, which I won't, WHICH means he'll probably end up coming to my fort in a migrant wave at some point.  Not a big deal, just something I'm considering. Hell, maybe I can make him Militia Commander.

Now, what I'm really wanting to do is clear out those necromancers and use their tower as the focal point of my town, where I can build an opulent palace for my Queen of the Damned.

Will I need Just Embark even if it's cleared out? I think a tower is a site, not a lair, so even if I kill everything in it, probably.  Also, what are the chances of that nifty sterling silver artifact slab still being there if I embark? I'd REALLY like to put it in her throneroom.  Could Mr. Bloodtemple just take it with him, and then I count on him showing up as a migrant (he's pretty legendary at this point)?  Will he still be carrying it if he does show up? What about all of those books for my royal library?  Should I make him a necromancer for when he does show up, or will that just make him annoying in fortress mode?

Or... should I let the necromancers live, and just embark next to the tower for added "FUN?"  I could just capture a necro in a siege later.

I dunno. I really like this worldgen and this civ's history, and I'm excited about playing with it in fort mode.  What would you do?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure to Fortress transition.. advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 03:58:06 am »

Well, you dont actually need to KILL the queen, you could just stab her in the leg, drink the blood and run off.
Also, you will need just embark, but its pretty simple, its just a .exe file.

I'm not sure if the slab will be still there tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Phynhas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 04:05:03 am »

Well, you dont actually need to KILL the queen, you could just stab her in the leg, drink the blood and run off.

I thought about that, but that would make the character hostile to the civ, I believe... unless I call her out, then she's no longer Queen.  I'd be willing to trade Mr. Bloodtemple for Ms. Moralfells in fortress mode, though. 

DING... You know what? I think I have his ambush high enough to stab her and drink it stealthed.  Would that still make me an enemy?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 04:15:54 am »

I thought about that, but that would make the character hostile to the civ, I believe... unless I call her out, then she's no longer Queen.  I'd be willing to trade Mr. Bloodtemple for Ms. Moralfells in fortress mode, though. 

DING... You know what? I think I have his ambush high enough to stab her and drink it stealthed.  Would that still make me an enemy?

I'm not sure, but you can always savescum and see if it works or not.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Phynhas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:45:15 am »

Yeah, just tried it.  Whole civ becomes hostile if I don't call her out.  Oh well, I'm just gonna play the fort here as is.

Phynhas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 03:57:02 am »

Did !SCIENCE... so embarking on a necro tower, the zombies respawn even if your adventurer slaughtered everything inside.  None of the settlers or farm animals arose after being killed, but it happened so fast, they might not have had time. 

Someone's severed foot was jamming the door open, or I could have locked it before they came pouring out like angry bees..  Exactly 100 angry bees.

I'd like to see if they respawn in fortress mode, like maybe the tower itself is an evil biome.  Probably not, but it would be cool.  Now I have to get my adventurer to run all the way back down there and unjam that foot from the door so I can lock the door later.  Then, run ALL the way back and retire again, sheesh.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the dozens of bodies I had dragged out to the woods to keep from raising up... well, didn't raise up.  Just sitting there in the snow.  So, the new zombies just appeared out of thin air with no necromancers around, between retiring and embarking.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:00:11 am by Phynhas »