Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding: Werebeasts do not starve or die of thirst  (Read 3535 times)

Rominus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding: Werebeasts do not starve or die of thirst
« on: March 08, 2012, 03:04:47 pm »

Early on in my fort, two of my dwarves became infected with weregoat-thropy.  I managed to get them walled in.  When in dwarf form they get hungry and thirsty, but when they change shapes they reset those conditions, and the month between changes isn't long enough to die from either state.  Interestingly, neither have gone insane in their 5-year captivities, despite one of them giving birth and then 2 days later brutally ripping her baby to shreds upon the full moon.  Barring injury, it seems they will be eternal.

I'm considering placing them in the goblin live-target archery range, either to be killed by the goblins or shot by my marksdwarves while in weregoat form.  One of them is from my original 7 though (one of only two who remain), so maybe she'll get the 'mercy' of eternal imprisonment. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Finding: Werebeasts do not starve or die of thirst
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:10:02 pm »

They still hunger or get thirsty though. Not very good if you want to use them for anything useful (other than z-cloning).

Hang on, you walled in two were-goats?!

THE SCIENCE POTENTIAL

So er, Dwarf babies don't inherit the curse? How fortunate.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:44:10 pm »

This is great news!  Almost anything vampires are useful for, werebeasts are useful for.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:50:07 pm »

This is great news!  Almost anything vampires are useful for, werebeasts are useful for.
Werebeasts are superior, they heal on transforming, both ways.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:00:56 pm »

Well, they do die of old age.  For a glassed in watch tower, the vampire is (slightly) preferable.  But for a lot of other jobs, werebeasts are preferable.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Rominus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 04:47:28 pm »

Unfortunately, the two weregoats are walled in in separate rooms, so a breeding experiment would involve exposing my other dwarves to significant danger in the relocation process. 

As for the baby, apparently it was infected as it died.  It came back as a ghostly were-goat dwarf baby.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:30:00 pm »

As for the baby, apparently it was infected as it died.  It came back as a ghostly were-goat dwarf baby.
Need pictures.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 05:33:28 pm »

Need pictures.
Oh god please.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 05:43:23 pm »

I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to bring the two weres together, just use locked doors (or raise-bridges if they can break them). Sort of like digging into a river to flood a farm.
Upload the save so we can see what else we can do with them!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 05:54:06 pm »

Are the two weres of opposing gender?

I have wanted to perform some experiments on "unique" creatures, by creating syndromes that genderize them. Werecreatures in their transformed states are already unique creatures, already having the appropriate caste tags.  The question is if the werebeast forms are sterile or not. Creatures reproduce via spores, so physicial contact is not required for babies. Not sure about dwarves.

Since the weregoats are from the same curse line, they should be of the same unique creature type when transformed.  The question is, if the wereforms are not sterile, does their beast status allow promiscuous conception, and if so, does the child get born as a werebeast if the female pops whole transformed?

These questions have far reaching potentials.  If they sporulate while transformedc, and are promiscuous, then you can have babies without marriages. (Benefits are obvious, as are the downsides.)  If they are born as pure werebeasts, without a dwarf form to revert to, you can then raise monsters! (Yay!)

Science must be performed!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 06:00:41 pm »

These questions have far reaching potentials.  If they sporulate while transformed, and are promiscuous, then you can have babies without marriages. (Benefits are obvious, as are the downsides.)

I wonder if transformation would reset a merchant/diplomat's mood, preventing berserkitude.  I suppose, at the least, such a merchant would be permanently berserk, never fully succumbing to hunger or thirst.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 07:08:14 pm »

Are the two weres of opposing gender?

I have wanted to perform some experiments on "unique" creatures, by creating syndromes that genderize them. Werecreatures in their transformed states are already unique creatures, already having the appropriate caste tags.  The question is if the werebeast forms are sterile or not. Creatures reproduce via spores, so physicial contact is not required for babies. Not sure about dwarves.

Since the weregoats are from the same curse line, they should be of the same unique creature type when transformed.  The question is, if the wereforms are not sterile, does their beast status allow promiscuous conception, and if so, does the child get born as a werebeast if the female pops whole transformed?

These questions have far reaching potentials.  If they sporulate while transformedc, and are promiscuous, then you can have babies without marriages. (Benefits are obvious, as are the downsides.)  If they are born as pure werebeasts, without a dwarf form to revert to, you can then raise monsters! (Yay!)

Science must be performed!
Generated werebeasts don't have genders, that way the same curse can be used to transform males and females into the same werebeast.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:26:32 pm »

Sounds like a genderizing set of syndromes is needed still...

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 08:45:38 pm »

You have caged goblins?

Here's the !!SCIENCE!! that interests me:  try to infect a goblin without killing it.  I suppose you could probably achieve this by creating a combat room, with an exit rigged with cage traps.  The werebeast attack the gobbo, the gobbo tries to flee, and runs into cage traps (as well as the werebeast, presumably).  Hopefully, gobbo is bitten in the process.

What I'm interested in is how the gobbo is listed after transforming into a werebeast, then back again.  Will it remember that it's an invader?