Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How big are Giants?  (Read 3446 times)

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How big are Giants?
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:53:55 am »

Does anyone know how large giant versions of animals are in comparison with their smaller brethren?  Are they just unusually large, or are they GIANT car-sized monsters?

Another thing I wanted to know is is the ratio of [size of giant version] to [size of normal version] the same for each animal, or can giant leopards be the same size as giant mosquitoes?  If the ratios were the same, Giant Mosquitoes would still be much smaller than a Giant Leopard.
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How big are Giants?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:11:11 am »

You can check that in the raws for the creatures. the creature raws for "wild boar" and "giant wild boar" for example give you for a wild boar:

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:8000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:40000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:80000]

meaning, it gets born as a creature with a total volume of 8000 cm³, grows to 40000 cm³ after one year and reaches its biggest size of 80000cm³ after the second year.

Now, the "giant wild boar" raws tell you:

[CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC:979]

so, a giant version of a boar is 979% as big as a normal one, almost ten times as big. Other giant versions have different percentages, a giant louse for example has [CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC:20000700] in the raws.

Edit: a giant tiger has an adult size of 1,900,000, just a bit less than an elephant's 5,000,000. I wouldn't want to get chased around by that ;)

Edit²: Note, "almost ten times as big" means it has almost ten times the volume. it's not actually ten times as large. The giant wild boar would be "only" a bit more than twice as long, broad and high as a regular one.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:15:48 am by Syndic »

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:43:58 pm »

Vermin (size 1) start out as grizzly bear sized giants and the bigger the original critter, the lower the percentage increase, capping out at around 800 % for the biggest ones. The formula is as follows:
Code: [Select]
(8x + 200000^2/(x+200000))*100/x %
Where x is the original creature's max size.

As seen in this bug report:http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4326#c16566
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:52:14 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 12:22:44 am »

Because the flesh is all the same density, regardless of the creature size, size and mass are basically linked. 

The average human in the game is a "size" of 70,000, which translates into basically 70 kg (since almost all tissues but muscle have the default density of water), which is also roughly the average mass of an adult human male.

The translation of kg to lbs is roughly 2.2 kg/lb, so 70 kg = 154 lbs. 

1000 kg is a metric ton, by the way, equivalent to 1.1 customary tons.  That means creatures of size 1,000,000 or more weigh at least as much as a metric ton.

The giant creatures have wildly varying actual size multipliers (like that louse being two million times normal size), but they generally weigh in somewhere in the ballpark of one half to two tons, so giants are generally all fairly relatively comparably giant.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 01:57:58 am »

Is there any instance of one animal's giant being larger than an animal's whose normal sized is larger normally?  For example, leopards are smaller than elephants in their normal sizes, but I assume the leopard's giant size is smaller than the elephant's giant size.  Is there any case where this does not hold true?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:04:42 am »

Is there any instance of one animal's giant being larger than an animal's whose normal sized is larger normally?  For example, leopards are smaller than elephants in their normal sizes, but I assume the leopard's giant size is smaller than the elephant's giant size.  Is there any case where this does not hold true?

Magmawiki has all the sizes.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 11:01:25 am »

Yes, most giant creatures are smaller than the largest normal creatures. Don't you think elephants are already giant enough ? There are no giant elephants.

And giant leopards are much smaller than elephants.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 12:07:43 pm »

Mind you there are no giant elephants because none of the classic creatures were redone for this rewrite.

So no Elephant men either.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 07:27:27 pm »

Mind you there are no giant elephants because none of the classic creatures were redone for this rewrite.

So no Elephant men either.

I'm workin' on modding that. Halfway through the sharks right now.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.