Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Exotic Animals Back in and Civilization stuff!?  (Read 3262 times)

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exotic Animals Back in and Civilization stuff!?
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:41:55 am »

Finally right? Exotic Animals are FINALLY getting back into the official release again!  No more modding all of the animals to be regular non-exotics.  Also, it sounds like Civilizations are going to start to have a bigger impact than just what you have access to for embark.  Today's update sounds interesting?  Anyone else excited?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

AranC23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic Animals Back in and Civilization stuff!?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:53:21 am »

It sounds interesting but I liked having a Dungeon Master.  The way I remember it though, once he died you couldn't replace him. 

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:55:36 am »

It sounds interesting but I liked having a Dungeon Master.  The way I remember it though, once he died you couldn't replace him.
I liked to build nasty and creepy dungeons for him

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:02:48 am »

that sounds good.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:06:12 am »

You can still make a dungeon master, just have a dummy noble given whatever responsibilities you feel appropriate, and give him the training labor.  It sounds like having one solid tamer is now going to be very useful.

Also very likely that we're going to see much fewer exotic animals from the elves, and we may be seeing some very ‼Fun‼ instances of dragon taming, where the dungeon master watches from a nearby window as several dwarves attempt to calm the massive beast, each failing in a rain of fire and gore, as the dungeon master watches and takes notes on the dragon's mood, before finally stepping into the arena, shouting a single command, and bringing the dragon to him.  Like a boss.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 11:07:26 am »

Actually, with the old immigrant noble system, a new Dungeon Master would show up after a year or so.

This change makes sense, since Toady seems to be moving away from the arbitrary special powers of nobles and civilizations thing, and into a more fluid, procedurally generated skills-based system.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:02 am »

I'm not a movie buff, but I can't remember the scene in Fatal Attraction where a voracious cave crawler smashed down the door, wrecked the kitchen and workshop, then bit the heads off of everyone in the house.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 11:12:54 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_Attractions_%28TV_series%29

It's an Animal Planet series that covers people who own exotic and highly dangerous animals.  Many of them have had "close calls" with their beloved pets.  It's basically about "animals that are almost tame".  Which now begs the question, will poorly-trained animals sometimes attack dwarves, or will they maintain the 1/0 tame/not aspect?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 11:14:01 am »

I'm not a movie buff, but I can't remember the scene in Fatal Attraction where a voracious cave crawler smashed down the door, wrecked the kitchen and workshop, then bit the heads off of everyone in the house.
That scene got removed during editing. I think it's in the director's cut, but I'm not sure.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 11:28:02 am »

Also, will the behavior where an animal that has ever tasted dwarf blood becomes permanently hostile remain?  That will make the trial-and-error taming process difficult.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 11:33:56 am »

Also, will the behavior where an animal that has ever tasted dwarf blood becomes permanently hostile remain?  That will make the trial-and-error taming process difficult.

Well, lately (in 34.01) I've tamed a GCS that killed a dwarf beforehand, earned a name, and to my delight it ISN'T hostile... it's not even disturbing my dwarves.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:40:48 am by Naryar »

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 11:43:35 am »

I'm interested in the Civilization aspect.  Is this a sign of things to come?  Will Civilizations start having more impact on your Dwarves and Adventurers due to pregenerated Societal knowledge and characteristics?  For instance, one civilization of dwarves are really good at taming Polar Bears to ride into battle with, while another civilization of Dwarves finds that even the greenest of Archers can split a hair on a dog's tail from 300 units of distance away.

This seems to be the same sort of foundational change that Toady made when he designed the powers/secrets and book related abilities.  I think he's preparing to make choosing civilizations much more interesting and important. *crosses fingers*
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 11:47:50 am »

WTB> Adventurer can tame creatures if given the right supplies.

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 12:41:22 pm »

I'm thinking this will make the entry of "XXX descended into the underworld and tamed the YYY" more memorable and useful.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 01:07:07 pm »

I'm thinking this will make the entry of "XXX descended into the underworld and tamed the YYY" more memorable and useful.

Indeed. and I wonder how the information will be stored ...

If the goblins tame elk birds and the dwarves then capture goblin lands - would the knowledge also be captured? I hope it will ... or at the very least that the goblins will write books about this stuff and that those books would then be destroyed, captured or taken to another site.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: [1] 2