Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Parked sieges... Sigh.  (Read 1052 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Parked sieges... Sigh.
« on: March 06, 2012, 08:50:36 pm »

30 goblins are just camped out at the edge of the map.  There's a straight-line path to my fortress, but they'd rather chill.  I stationed a couple sacrificial puppies outside my gates.  No dice.  I dispatched a useless migrant to stir them up.  He died horribly at their hands, then they promptly went back to their posts at the map edge.

Short of waiting them out or sending out my still-green militias, how can I shake these idiots loose?

Edit: Also, short of digging 120 levels down and pumping magma 120 levels back up........................

Edit: Well, 20 archers brought the thing to an expedient conclusion.  On a side note, when everyone surfaced to clean up what was left, they found the remains of my sacrificial migrant.  "'Gonna Die' Edtullolok, Dead Guy, has been found dead." lolol
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:19:46 pm by Kestrel »
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Parked sieges... Sigh.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 08:52:54 pm »

The friend of all dwarven-kind.
Magma.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:53:46 pm »

EDIT: Whoops, siege, not ambushes. Nevermind.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 08:57:22 pm »

Is their commander a flying mount that is chilling a z-level above their troops?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 08:57:40 pm »

Is their commander a flying mount that is chilling a z-level above their troops?
Yes, yes he is.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 09:10:41 pm »

Do you have a meeting hall or meeting area?

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 09:11:49 pm »

Yes, yes I do.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 09:39:56 pm »

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 11:56:26 pm »

Well if you have a bridge you could try and open the gates and trick them into running in, close the gate and reopen, smashing them to bits. rinse and repeat until they run
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 12:05:29 am »

The issue is that the flying mount messes up the siege pathfinding.  Similar happens with amphibious mounts - the mount will jump in the nearest pond and sit there, where the rider drowns and the siege gets stuck in position.

I generally remove mounts from all civs as a pre-emptive measure.  I've NEVER seen mounts do more good than harm.  Elves, meh.  Elves on grisly bears?  Even less!  They apparently use the bear's aggro measure, resulting in a whole siege patiently loitering in the yard while a single soldier takes them out one at a time!

Mod the specific creature to no longer fly, that's the best you can do for your current world.  Of course if you've got armed steel, just send some soldiers to mop them up.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 12:33:32 am »

Cave-in from behind ?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 12:54:58 am »

BTW, how good are siege weapons work when used against moving targets?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 01:02:26 am »

Very poorly.

Catapults are more accurate, but less powerful.  Ballista have zero aim - if your operator is able to aim at all, then your operator will be fleeing from what he sees.  Works well on a large siege in cramped quarters, as you don't need to aim at the large mass of greens.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 09:15:34 am »

The issue is that the flying mount messes up the siege pathfinding.  Similar happens with amphibious mounts - the mount will jump in the nearest pond and sit there, where the rider drowns and the siege gets stuck in position.

I generally remove mounts from all civs as a pre-emptive measure.  I've NEVER seen mounts do more good than harm.  Elves, meh.  Elves on grisly bears?  Even less!  They apparently use the bear's aggro measure, resulting in a whole siege patiently loitering in the yard while a single soldier takes them out one at a time!

Mod the specific creature to no longer fly, that's the best you can do for your current world.  Of course if you've got armed steel, just send some soldiers to mop them up.
Thanks!

It'll be interesting to see what sieges are like once Toady actively fixes their bugs and exploits.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 09:25:30 am »

Thanks for this - I had a seige that did this a while back, so that explains it.

I wish I'd thought of mining underneath them and causing a cave-in......
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: [1] 2