Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Uses for vampires!  (Read 6764 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Uses for vampires!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 10:09:17 pm »

Vampires are currently still broken and have very little or no use at all right now.
i've gone through the process and have infected ALL of my dwarves with vampirism in my current fort.
They still suffer effects from soberness, but won't touch booze at all.

Vampires are broken and useless.

Mind providing some proof with those complaints?  ;)

OT: I'm thinking about seeing how good vampires are at making combat drops from low orbit into goblin sieges. Build a capsule (1x1x1 room) at the top of the map, equip the vampire with mediocre armor and weapons, burrow him/her into the capsule, seal it, activate them, disconnect it. Bonus is that you still have the scaffolding and can easily build more.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 10:14:18 pm »

Since my word is good for nothing apparently..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's gotten worse too

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 10:19:58 pm »

I've read this before and I want to test it, but I have no vampires. Will vampires willingly path through water? because if so, you have an underwater pump ops worker or an underwater miner.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 10:21:24 pm »

I've read this before and I want to test it, but I have no vampires. Will vampires willingly path through water? because if so, you have an underwater pump ops worker or an underwater miner.
been there, doesnt work

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 10:22:37 pm »

I read that having a pool in your entrance would cause migrants to stay outside and vamps to come in.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 10:25:04 pm »

I read that having a pool in your entrance would cause migrants to stay outside and vamps to come in.
i was trying a rather fun thing that woudl have required the vamp to mine underwater. He just stood there

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 10:31:35 pm »

Since my word is good for nothing apparently..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's gotten worse too

I don't think the booze dependence makes vampires worthless.  For one thing, vampires will continue to work despite their booze dependence-- they'll just work more slowly, which, frankly, I for one appreciate (50-some idlers out of 100 right now).  Like I said, I have vampires working in physically isolated burrows, and they're doing just fine.  The fact that I don't have to worry about them eating, sleeping, or drinking is more than enough to make up for their slow rate of job completion.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 10:32:56 pm »

We're talking slow as in a legendary mechanic taking 20 seconds to complete one mechanism

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 10:35:14 pm »

My experiences with the slowdown has been similar. After identification, I made a vampire into a manager.

Over time, jobs queued via the job manager started to take longer and longer to be approved. They started to take a ridiculous amount of time to complete, so much so that I ended up replacing them as manager. It might work better for a bookkeeper as that's not a time critical job, but vampires really suck (no pun intended) as managers.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 10:42:09 pm »

We're talking slow as in a legendary mechanic taking 20 seconds to complete one mechanism

Don't know if you realize this, but your 20 seconds is not my 20 seconds :)  20 seconds depends on our computers and on our forts.  (Unless you mean, 1/4320th of a dwarven day, in which case, that's a fast mechanic.)

Look, it's fine if you don't think the advantages of vampires outweigh the drawbacks.  I'm just saying that for my purposes, I find that they do.  I don't think there's an absolute, objective answer that "yes they are awesome" or "no they are worthless"-- it really depends on what you, as an individual, find important.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 10:44:35 pm »

Don't know if you realize this, but your 20 seconds is not my 20 seconds :)  20 seconds depends on our computers and on our forts.  (Unless you mean, 1/4320th of a dwarven day, in which case, that's a fast mechanic.)

Look, it's fine if you don't think the advantages of vampires outweigh the drawbacks.  I'm just saying that for my purposes, I find that they do.  I don't think there's an absolute, objective answer that "yes they are awesome" or "no they are worthless"-- it really depends on what you, as an individual, find important.
I am mainly saying they are broken
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5189

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 11:33:01 pm »

Dwarven vampires inherit alcohol dependency from their base creature and gain the 'no drink' tag, which halts their consumption of alcohol or water. Since they are alcohol-dependent creatures who are never drinking alcohol, they suffer from progressive sobriety.

It's fixable by adding a syndrome to dwarven blood* that removes the 'no drink' tag (temporarily or permanently, either works), but that requires a regen. If it's possible to edit existing syndromes you could try adding the drinking syndrome to cave spiders or something, but it's probably simpler to regen since your fort isn't going to be more than three weeks old anyway.

*Experiments are currently being conducted with other creatures, and these experiments seem to show that any sleeping creature is a valid target. So if you could make your own sleeping syndrome and find a way of introducing it to the livestock...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 11:57:26 pm »

Detecting other vampires!

Have them behind a fortification in your communal dormitories. They will never sleep, always faithful and watchful, guarding against an invasion of their own kin.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 12:20:48 am »

Put vampires in pit. Put noble or other unwanted dwarf in pit. Noble will fall asleep. Awesome will happen.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 12:55:18 am »

Dwarven vampires inherit alcohol dependency from their base creature and gain the 'no drink' tag, which halts their consumption of alcohol or water. Since they are alcohol-dependent creatures who are never drinking alcohol, they suffer from progressive sobriety.

It's fixable by adding a syndrome to dwarven blood* that removes the 'no drink' tag (temporarily or permanently, either works), but that requires a regen. If it's possible to edit existing syndromes you could try adding the drinking syndrome to cave spiders or something, but it's probably simpler to regen since your fort isn't going to be more than three weeks old anyway.

*Experiments are currently being conducted with other creatures, and these experiments seem to show that any sleeping creature is a valid target. So if you could make your own sleeping syndrome and find a way of introducing it to the livestock...

Ah, I guess I've ended up killing off the couple I've gotten thusfar too quickly for them to develop symptoms of alcohol deprivation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2] 3