Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Vampire Rework?

Make all vampiric effects only activate once the new vampire has sucked blood.
- 26 (29.5%)
Make any special abilities only activate once the new vampire has sucked blood.
- 25 (28.4%)
Make any physical changes only take place once the new vampire has sucked blood.
- 7 (8%)
Make the transformation skill only available after sucking blood.
- 11 (12.5%)
Keep everything the same.
- 19 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25

Author Topic: <<Fear The Night!>> v1.4.1 [For 34.11]  (Read 125661 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: <<Fear The Night!>> v1.4.1 *Another New Poll!*
« Reply #315 on: April 30, 2013, 08:16:00 pm »

Xangi's Evil weather transforms creatures into aberrations. There are no huskifying clouds, unfortunately.

And yes, you can just disable weather in advanced worldgen to get only Xangi's weather.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Vorsh99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 30, 2013, 08:36:15 pm »

How does this work in Fortress mode? what are the differences?

how can my dwarves or playable civs be affected at all?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 30, 2013, 08:48:16 pm »

The differences are these:

There are new (semi)megabeasts that can impart their vampirism/secrets to your dwarves.
There are evil rain and clouds that transform dwarves into monsters.
New werebeasts need certain metals to kill them instead of silver doing the most damage. Silver for wolves, Iron for lizards, etc.
Vampires are no longer pathetically weak. Instead, they have abilities (that they will spam with no abandon in fortress mode)
There are many different types of zombies. Infernomancers from towers will call Flaming Zombies to turn your grasslands to ash. !!FUN!!
Infernomancers will nullify your water traps by virtue of making water disappear around it.
Liches are nigh-invulnerable.

So yes, it does affect your dwarves quite a bit.

Vorsh99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 30, 2013, 09:03:35 pm »

The differences are these:

There are new (semi)megabeasts that can impart their vampirism/secrets to your dwarves.
There are evil rain and clouds that transform dwarves into monsters.
New werebeasts need certain metals to kill them instead of silver doing the most damage. Silver for wolves, Iron for lizards, etc.
Vampires are no longer pathetically weak. Instead, they have abilities (that they will spam with no abandon in fortress mode)
There are many different types of zombies. Infernomancers from towers will call Flaming Zombies to turn your grasslands to ash. !!FUN!!
Infernomancers will nullify your water traps by virtue of making water disappear around it.

So yes, it does affect your dwarves quite a bit.

Pretty cool. So if one of these things wonders into my fort everyone could die?

And if I play as other civs they react the same to all of them?

Humans and elves can be infected too right?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 30, 2013, 09:12:17 pm »

Yush.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 30, 2013, 10:49:53 pm »

Wonderful mod, I'm still attempting to not die horribly.

Question: Can I simply disable Evil Weather so as to only have your kinds of evil weather, and will they work fine?

Does your evil weather actually turn creatures into husks still, or does it only create the specific monsters?
Yeah, I originally planned to do husks, but to be frank I couldn't come up with much that was good, so I just left in what I had and mixed it with regular husks. Next version we may have more interaction options, so I'll do more husks then.

New guy answered the other question. I'd have got it first but I was sitting in an anthropology class being bored.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 01, 2013, 09:59:25 am »

Depending on whether or not it is possible to have multiple CE_SPEED_CHANGE effects active at once, I may be able to do this (and probably will).

It appeared from my work with interactions that multiple speed change effects can take place simultaneously, or at least won't immediately do anything too silly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 01, 2013, 03:31:21 pm »

Cool. So I haven't really thought of how this would work in fortress mode, and I'm curious about a few things as to how they behave in fortress mode.

For vampire abilities... is this a combat thing or are vampires going to run around using nauseating screaming even with allies there and turning into animals 24/7 (ie really, REAL abilities spam)? Also, are vampires resistant to the nauseating scream of other vampires? If not, that's gonna make groups of vamps pretty damn funny.

For liches, they have Opposed to Life, yeah? So a dorf will attack the moment he is turned, right?

The last time I played, Infernomancers can be popped in the tummy to make them start getting sick, which struck me as weird. Are they more resistant to that now? I seem to recall mummies having weaknesses along this line too.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 01, 2013, 10:30:46 pm »

It's mostly a combat thing, except for the speed boost interaction. If they find hostiles, they'd go nauseating screaming the heck out of them. And if they are outnumbered and fleeing, they'd then go vanishing from the battlefield.

They will use polymorph if they are fleeing.

I'm not sure if liches have opposed to life.

Last time I played, Infernomancers were as soft as a glass bottle, but they're still very formidable, if only because of their flaming abilities.

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 02, 2013, 03:00:21 pm »

This is very exciting stuff, thank you.

If I recall correctly, minor vampires appeared to, though being otherwise superior to vanilla DF-pires, still have to sleep. I have to wonder if that means minor vampires will be used as lunch by the other kinds or even each other.

Is there a way to make the demonic lords of goblins or humans get entombed on death? I love the idea of a massive jackal demon getting entombed in gold and being even nastier than they were in life.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 02, 2013, 03:07:41 pm »

This is very exciting stuff, thank you.

If I recall correctly, minor vampires appeared to, though being otherwise superior to vanilla DF-pires, still have to sleep. I have to wonder if that means minor vampires will be used as lunch by the other kinds or even each other.

Is there a way to make the demonic lords of goblins or humans get entombed on death? I love the idea of a massive jackal demon getting entombed in gold and being even nastier than they were in life.
The whole "gold mummy" thing is really just a transformation. If you can add tissue layers in the next version through interactions I'll flesh it out more.

Anyways, to answer your question, if they die I do think they get entombed if they were a ruler, but it's very rare that that actually happens.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 09, 2013, 05:29:06 pm »

I've been thinking about how I could adjust things so that all these night creatures are more relevant to the typical game and show up in larger quantities... I've got a hankering for a more night creature-centric game.

So far I've been thinking, making werewolves each a type of animal (in evil terrain), as well as each a type of civilization, so you're more likely to run into them. This would be just the werewolf _creature_, so they don't really transform, but they'd still be impervious to non-silver and infect people, so they'd be really quite scary.

To make vampires more noticeable is trickier. What tag is it, exactly, that makes werewolves run around biting and infecting people in worldgen? Vampires don't seem to bite-to-infect people in worldgen, just the megabeast/semimegabeast ones. In addition, I'm wondering if giving vampires Raise Dead in worldgen would cause them to make towers and lead attacks just like necromancers -- I'd take it out post worldgen, of course, so that if a vampire invades with an army of zombies, they wouldn't raise them afterwards. A vampire invasion's main peril is, of course, the vampires themselves.

What might be particularly interesting about facing these guys isn't just that they could kill people, but that you would have to wonder what to do with infected dwarfs.

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 10, 2013, 02:38:21 am »

Also, I must be hallucinating, because I could have sworn there was some rule about a master vampire's bite turning someone into a lesser, and a lesser vampire's bite turning someone into a minor, the bite turning you into the vampire of one step weaker, but I must have been thinking of vamp lords/ancient vampires...

Is there a way to make it so that a vampire's regular bite attack sucks blood and transforms people, like a vampire lord's?

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 12, 2013, 01:07:48 pm »

How about giving werewolves counts-as-silver material (and the others, their own vulnerable material) for their claws and teeth? That way, if they bite someone, and their victim is foolish enough to transform immediately, they'll be almost instantly killed.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 12, 2013, 02:20:01 pm »

I've been thinking about how I could adjust things so that all these night creatures are more relevant to the typical game and show up in larger quantities... I've got a hankering for a more night creature-centric game.

So far I've been thinking, making werewolves each a type of animal (in evil terrain), as well as each a type of civilization, so you're more likely to run into them. This would be just the werewolf _creature_, so they don't really transform, but they'd still be impervious to non-silver and infect people, so they'd be really quite scary.

To make vampires more noticeable is trickier. What tag is it, exactly, that makes werewolves run around biting and infecting people in worldgen? Vampires don't seem to bite-to-infect people in worldgen, just the megabeast/semimegabeast ones. In addition, I'm wondering if giving vampires Raise Dead in worldgen would cause them to make towers and lead attacks just like necromancers -- I'd take it out post worldgen, of course, so that if a vampire invades with an army of zombies, they wouldn't raise them afterwards. A vampire invasion's main peril is, of course, the vampires themselves.

What might be particularly interesting about facing these guys isn't just that they could kill people, but that you would have to wonder what to do with infected dwarfs.
That's a lot, but basically this should answer your question. The syndrome class seems to determine behavior, as well as the BLOODSUCKER tag.

Also, I must be hallucinating, because I could have sworn there was some rule about a master vampire's bite turning someone into a lesser, and a lesser vampire's bite turning someone into a minor, the bite turning you into the vampire of one step weaker, but I must have been thinking of vamp lords/ancient vampires...

Is there a way to make it so that a vampire's regular bite attack sucks blood and transforms people, like a vampire lord's?
Lords and Ancients, yes. To ass a special attack interaction through syndrome is currently impossible, maybe next version. I hope that someday we can transform individual limbs and add any tag we want.

How about giving werewolves counts-as-silver material (and the others, their own vulnerable material) for their claws and teeth? That way, if they bite someone, and their victim is foolish enough to transform immediately, they'll be almost instantly killed.
No, and here's why: They're already powerful enough, and you'll often die if you transform anyway. Their strength is enough that they can actually fight each other quite well and definitely kill each other, there's no need to speed up the process. It would also mean that their attacks would be near worthless against other werebeasts (the current organic materials seem to not be affected by the resistances), which is also a negative.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25