Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What FPS is too low for you?  (Read 9376 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: What FPS is too low for you?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 07:16:28 pm »

My computer can run incredibly laggy fortresses (such as Deathgate) at around 40 FPS, with all the features turned on. Coupled with the fact I take anti-lag measures (modding out clothes, cutting down pathing and whatnot), I can run a 200 strong fortress at 100 FPS.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 07:18:41 pm »

Really, guys? I find 20 FPS to be completely acceptable.

I find anything that has two digits to be fine, really. Of course, I like to make my orders and leave the game alone in the background, then come back 15 minutes later to find my work ALMOST done so's to move onto the next part.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 08:00:27 pm »

There was once a time when I would consider 10 to be the absolute minimum. These days, I would probably put up with low single digit numbers to continue playing a really awesome fortress, and then turn temp/weather off when it hit 1-3.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 08:08:40 pm »

Anything below 100, and I start to look for methods of increasing FPS.  Normally I run at 150, or 200fps.  I use Nanofort for one square embarks, turn of temperature whenever it wouldn't be doing anything interesting, turn off weather for the beautiful "bloodstained" fortress exterior aesthetic.

However, this only keeps me going until about 80 dwarves (though I think it's because I'm too lazy to atomsmash everything).

Oh, I also slaughter puppies.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 08:25:43 pm »

Anything single-digit.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 08:50:21 pm »

About 35fps. I like to keep an eye on things, so setting things to be done and then wandering off for half an hour doesn't really appeal to me.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 09:18:30 pm »

Im used to playing games at insanly low FPS, so i can hold mine out until VERY low FPS, around 3, with everything on mind you, but it varys depending on how much i like the fort.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:15:45 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 02:50:33 pm »

Pretty much slideshow FPS is the max I can't tolerate :P

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »

Whoa so my case isn't really bad.
I've had 200ish of dwarfs running at 26-30 fps, with significant drops when stupid muck rain which I can't turn off happens outside. All with single cavern level and around 70 levels-deep map. This fort is quite good so I guess I'll tolerate up down to 10 fps with it but usually I start losing interest at this point.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:15:34 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 03:53:35 pm »

with significant drops when stupid muck rain which I can't turn off happens outside.
It doesn't fall under the weather option in the init files?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 05:58:55 pm »

Under 70 is starting to seriously bother me, because patience is not my strong point. Mind you, i generally don't get more than 80 dwarves in my forts.

And now that I play with temperature on...

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 07:41:09 pm »

10 is where i draw the line, though i play with a popcap of 40*, shallow worlds, and weather off. so it usually doesn't come to that.

*makes a great challenge as well as conserves FPS
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 08:33:46 pm »

About 15 or so, I'd say.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 10:03:03 pm »

the biggest thing is pathfinding. If you leave alot of open areas acessible, then its FPS killing ability will multiply with more dwarves and animals. I, however, am not totally sure how to go about making pathfinding efficent fortresses

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 10:11:55 pm »

Embark size and (anecdotally) world size also have an impact on FPS, although obviously this isn't much help if you're trying to improve an existing fort.

Pathfinding has a huge impact on FPS, which I accidentally discovered while trying to test the effect of embark size. Since it's hard to compare developed forts on 4v4 vs. 6v6 embarks (you'd have to build up the fort on both embarks, and even then, they'd never be identical), I was measuring fps for just the first 7 dwarves doing nothing on various embark sizes. Trouble is stuff kept attacking the dwarves, and combat reduces fps, so I brought some stone along and immediately walled them into a little 3x3 enclosure around the wagon. Imagine my surprise when that wall took my fps from ~1500 to 3000+... so yeah, available space that your dwarves have to path to makes a difference, this teaches us that walling off unused mine shafts and caverns and such is a good idea. Number of creatures doing the pathing probably has a similar effect, but I didn't think to test a 100-cat embark.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:18:08 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.
Pages: 1 [2] 3