Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clowns as companions  (Read 3088 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
Clowns as companions
« on: March 04, 2012, 05:50:26 am »

I was wandering around this small, mostly ruined, village close to nightfall in a world I play adventure mode in often. looking for shelter for the night I entered what I thought was another of the abandoned houses to find a fisherman, his surgeon wife, and the horrible skink demon they captured. the demon begged me to rescue him, so I did. this adventure has long since ended, but it was something I had to think about... how does this happen? ive seen goblins as prisoners as well. just what do you "do" with them? the demon was a VERY useful ally, enabling me to take on most foes I almost certainly would not have been able to do easily even with a well armed party of adventurers. has anyone alse recruited the clowns before?
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Nemica

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers to consume diet coke.
    • View Profile
Re: Clowns as companions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:51:27 am »

Well, I once had a turtoise devil. A pulp novel writing turtoise devil. I ended up dying in literal friendly fire, but yeah, she was cool.

Alexwarhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:25:57 pm »

A clown as a companion? No thanks , reminds me too much of Space Station 13 , le honke and such.

I belive the random prisoner aspect is something that goes on during world gen. Maybe during a raid , there is a small percentage chance that the losing party will have one of their soilders taken prisoner. I doubt you could be able to see this happen in the actual adventure mode , but having a goblin as a companion is good enough.

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:33:13 pm »

Somebody else has reported rescuing a demon prisoner before. I don't have an exact citation, but apparently it happens.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Kie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:38:05 pm »

I've had two as companions before.

Let's just say I was pretty much impossible to stop...
Vae Victis

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 01:17:56 pm »

Somebody else has reported rescuing a demon prisoner before. I don't have an exact citation, but apparently it happens.

Happens frequently ^-^

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70990.msg1729554#msg1729554

And has been a common occurrence for quite some time.

Has anyone alse recruited the clowns before?

The search bar is there for a reason :P

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 03:52:15 pm »

The question was obviously meant to provoke a discussion on the perks and privileges of demon ownership (or lease-to-ownership as the case may be).

Thanks for the citation, Loud Whispers. I think the one I had in mind is somewhere in the "What's Going on in Your Adventure?" thread. It likely involved the perils of demonic friendly fire. Fire is never friendly, even when it is actually a gas or toxic substance.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:14:04 pm »

My favourite one would have to be the adventurer who freed a demon, had it kill everyone yet slowly succumbed to the illness it spread. Poor guy died from the demon that protected him. Said demon then proceeded to take over another civ.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 02:40:19 pm »

You've got to wonder what the family was DOING with a demonic lizard-thing chained up in the living room that made it beg for rescue. I visualize them enjoying hours and hours of family time spent playing kick the lizard, and occasionally inviting neighbors over just so they could feel happy about having the medieval entertainment equivalent of the biggest television in town.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 04:33:47 pm »

Well I bet you'd be pissed too if you devoted your life in a religion that turned out to be worshipping a clown :P

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:28:08 am »

I often see clowns who've been taken prisoner by human civs, nut usually they either flee into the wilderness or become the ruler.

Behenaught

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 12:48:54 am »

Early on, with one of my first adventurers, I went to a fort and somehow recruited a one-eyes taupe Clown who had a poisonous sting and was a Lord. Even with a disabled arm, he allowed me to sail through various ambushes and quests.

Unfortunately, he disappeared while I quick traveled and I was killed by a goblin ambush. My next few adventures in the world were a mission to find my mission companion.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 02:34:46 am »

I recruited a Horse Fiend (those seem particularly common in my world gens for whatever reason) that was the prisoner of a human group once; I lost him after he decided to leap into a river to attack a school of carp and wound up dodging off a waterfall.