Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact Finished Goods  (Read 1480 times)

MoloMowChow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact Finished Goods
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:35:27 am »

I don't know why, but so far in my current fortress, every time a dwarf get possessed he end up taking the Craftdwarf's workshop.

But anyways, these unique named finished goods have an insane value to them. Problem is that I can't seem to haul them to the trade depot to trade them away.

When they're made they are automatically put into the good stockpile in a bin with the rest of the stuff. But if I try to haul the bin that contains these artifacts away, the artifact just gets left behind from the bin and put in a different bin.

I tried to search for a way to individually select items in bins to be hauled to the trade depot but I don't see it. Is it possible to trade away Unique Artifact Finished Crafts? This stuff is worth like over 100000 dwarf bucks!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Finished Goods
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:36:34 am »

You cant trade artifacts. This makes artifact crafts less useful, especially as unlike atrifact furniture you cant build them into structures, or equip them like artifcat weapons, armour or clothing.

There are a few useful things you can do though.

Firstly, artifcats cant be destroyed by fire IIRC. So a flammable item can be used as an eternal flame source of ignition.

Secondly, Kobold bait. I have stocked my "valuable" carft aritfacts near my map edge many times. Thieves make off with them, and this prompts more abitious Kobold invasions, which are great sources of training for your troops.

Thirdly, there is a display case mod around here somewhere.

Fourthly, go back there as an adventurer and grab them. Sceptres make good weapons, and you can never have too much bling or throwing ammo.

The value of your artifacts will probably be a signifigant contributor to your fortress wealth, which in turn affects migrants and invaders. Depending on your opiion, this might be a good or bad thing.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:52:20 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

MoloMowChow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:39:42 am »

I suppose it's better then them being unable to make anything...

Still, these things are making my fort wealth skyrocket. I haven't even hit metal yet because this is like my first ever fort.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:04:55 am »

On that note, dig deeper. The ores are deeper in, sometimes even visible from the surface.

You can't trade Artifacts. Period.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:34:20 am »

I don't know why, but so far in my current fortress, every time a dwarf get possessed he end up taking the Craftdwarf's workshop.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Mood

There is a set of skills called moodable. A dwarf that gets a strange mood will make an item using his highest moodable skill. If he or she has no moodable skills, then they will claim the craftdwarf workshop and make something using bonecarving,stonecrafting or woodcrafting.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41:04 am »

You can't trade Artifacts. Period.

1. Put those artifacts in a building (display case mod works well)
2. Fort dies
3. Reclaim fort
4. Those artifacts still alive
5. They are trade-able

MoloMowChow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 03:21:36 pm »

I just learned of the Atom Smasher technique.

If I think my wealth is too high, couldn't I just atomize them with a rising bridge?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 03:29:16 pm »

It's somewhat difficult to get named items, including artifacts, onto atom smashers, since you can't dump them and can't put stockpiles beneath a building. You can destroy them if you manage to get them beneath the drawbridge, though, and beyond the loss of created wealth in your fort there's no downside. The creator of an artifact doesn't care if it's lost.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

MoloMowChow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 05:26:12 pm »

is there a way to move specific items in specific spots in any way?

Say like, create another finished good stockpile under the drawbridge and restrict it from everything, then move specific items there?

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 06:01:27 pm »

Yes, you can specify quite exactly what you want to go to a stockpile. You can set it to only accept artifacts, and even only artifacts from a specific type (for example music instrument) and material (wood, ...). To have it moved there you need to disable the stockpile where it is currently stored (and maybe other similar stockpiles nearby) from taking artifacts.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 06:14:18 pm »

is there a way to move specific items in specific spots in any way?

Say like, create another finished good stockpile under the drawbridge and restrict it from everything, then move specific items there?
Can't create a stockpile under a drawbridge. Can't dump the artifact in a garbage zone under a drawbridge either. The best thing I can think of right now is to
1.make a small room, or use a dead end hallway or something
2.get the artifact inside using stockpiles
3.build a drawbridge over the artifact
4.build something else over the artifact, using up all the remaining room (for example another drawbridge)

If you do it right, then in step 4 dwarves will move the artifact from the construction site and drop it under the first drawbridge