Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The true nature of Dwarf Fortress' universe (‼Science‼ included!)  (Read 16656 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: The true nature of Dwarf Fortress' universe (‼Science‼ included!)
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 12:58:54 pm »

I think in a four dimensional world, the difference is that everything is much more connected. The universe, I mean. Which means, those who have mastery of movement in a 4-d world could move much quicker than in a 3-d world, because of these shortcuts. It would appear to be 'teleporting' to us. That's what I think anyway.

And of course, five dimensional, it's just more connected, allowing for more shortcuts.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 12:59:20 pm »

Schroedinger's Cat has been struck down.

Schrodinger's cat has reverted to a state of being both dead and alive unless observed.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 07:54:24 pm »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned drawbridges, which in 3d take up one z-level height and only one tile of thickness when raised no matter how many tiles they stretched across when lowered. Clearly the longer the drawbridge the more it raises into 4d, whereas only a drawbridge that is one tile long when lowered raises only into 3d.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 08:23:33 pm »

I think in a four dimensional world, the difference is that everything is much more connected. The universe, I mean. Which means, those who have mastery of movement in a 4-d world could move much quicker than in a 3-d world, because of these shortcuts. It would appear to be 'teleporting' to us. That's what I think anyway.

And of course, five dimensional, it's just more connected, allowing for more shortcuts.

Indeed. It seems they only use those shortcuts when they're grappling and biting though... Who knows why. Maybe the world of Dwarf Fortress is simply the setting for a series of bloody multidimensional gladiatorial games, in which travel is only allowed in 3 dimensions...
[Signature]

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 09:21:13 pm »

You seem to have forgotten about dwarf reproduction. I know it might make you squeamish, but it has to be said: male dwarf gonads are permanently connected to the female dwarf upon their marriage, much like the anglerfish, but through another dimension. Wild animals are a bit different. Every male animal is simultaneously connected to every female as soon as it reaches adulthood. This does make knowing the father of any offspring a tad difficult. It also becomes difficult to have a wedding for each male animal, so most dwarf societies just skip it. Being forever connected to their dwarf spouse is distracting enough.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 09:24:24 pm »

Don't try to comprehend the dwarves.

Tharwen has gone stark raving mad!

:P Trying to comprehend the dwarves is a death sentence by your brain turning to mush, and dying slowly of dehydration/starvation.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 10:20:34 pm »

Don't try to comprehend the dwarves.

Tharwen has gone stark raving mad!

:P Trying to comprehend the dwarves is a death sentence by your brain turning to mush, and dying slowly of dehydration/starvation.

*Runs around babbling*
[Signature]

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 03:58:05 am »

I thought being stark raving mad was a requirement for this game? :P

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 08:20:04 am »

So... playing DF, and telling your dorfs to do really stupid stuff, is basically just the player's one person tantrum spiral?  Interesting.

That would explain a lot, not the least of which why dorfs have a much shorter life expectancy in Fortress mode than worldgen.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 11:52:25 am »

Awesome thread. :D

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 02:19:38 pm »

Hmm... Two things I feel were also left out:

The sponge! In my belief, it is either a fully 3D being, thus impervious to damage from 4D manifestations. OR! It is actually a 4D being that has mastered manifestation in 3D state, making it completely solid, and immortal. Obsidianisation works because it forces a 3D wall to take up his space, making it unable to manifest. But when one dies in a place it remanifests in another...
(Other one in new reply)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:07:30 am by Wimopy »
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 02:25:38 pm »

The sponge! In my belief, it is either a fully 3D being, thus impervious to damage from 4D manifestations.

Sorry, that only works in reverse: 4D beings are immune to 3D beings because they can just get out of the way.

A 4D being, however, can reach inside a 3D being and grab a hold of it's heart/brain/lung without breaking the skin.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 02:30:18 pm »

The sponge! In my belief, it is either a fully 3D being, thus impervious to damage from 4D manifestations.

Sorry, that only works in reverse: 4D beings are immune to 3D beings because they can just get out of the way.

A 4D being, however, can reach inside a 3D being and grab a hold of it's heart/brain/lung without breaking the skin.

Ah, but the facts are that sponges are generally easy to hit (unless they dodge, which is plainly put creepy), so what is it?
What if it's the atom smashed items gaining form? From all those things it could easily become an organic (corpses, invaders) and invulnerable (all those rocks...) being.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 03:55:16 pm »

Ah, but the facts are that sponges are generally easy to hit (unless they dodge, which is plainly put creepy), so what is it?

Ah, sorry, I forgot the qualifying phrase "and then rip it out."

Sponges are probably a 0 dimensional creature.  It can't be crushed, cut, broken, torn, or otherwise injured, as it has no volume or surface area to divide.  Only encased.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 09:56:21 am »

So, it's like the Calculus problem of the Horn of Gabriel, you could fill it with paint, but you couldn't paint it.  Now that's !!Science!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4