Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants now have no Social skills - Bug/Feature?  (Read 2695 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Migrants now have no Social skills - Bug/Feature?
« on: March 02, 2012, 02:02:25 am »

Hello,
I've decided to try the new feature in 04, and disabled Migrant skills.  Looks like this toggle, strips the Socials, completely from migrants.  Is that intended.  I really like that it strips the Labor skills, that's a huge time saver, but no Socials?  Was that intended?  They have Military skills, like always.  Just no Social skills.
Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Migrants now have no Social skills - Bug/Feature?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:46:03 pm »

Any reason why you want them to have social skills? :P

Otherwise, I have no idea.

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:48:38 pm »

Of course this is a feature, it keeps migrants from making friends as easily.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:00:49 pm »

It just seemed strange to see none since some social skills are used in military training, and as far as I could see Toady hasn't altered Military skills.  I'd think Teach and Student would still resolve, accordingly for the sake of making skilled cannon fodder, less or more skilled.  Friend making never occured to me, but that does make sense. Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 02:13:21 pm »

Migrant Wave: Urist McAspergers x 20

And y'all thought that whole "taking over the world" bit was just some inspirational jive.
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 02:18:44 pm »

Hey, if anyone had liked them back home, they wouldn't have left.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 02:20:07 pm »

I just got my first wave in my new game.

They all have social skills. Most of them at Great.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 02:20:38 pm »

No social skills also means, less chance to be elected as a mayor. Would you rather have your hand-picked, expedition leader / mayor, who only mandates the production of a few wooden bins once in a while, or would you rather have UristMcRandomImmigrant, who likes slade, adamantine and earrings, to become your mayor because he arrived as a expert persuader and professional liar?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 02:28:54 pm »

No social skills also means, less chance to be elected as a mayor. Would you rather have your hand-picked, expedition leader / mayor, who only mandates the production of a few wooden bins once in a while, or would you rather have UristMcRandomImmigrant, who likes slade, adamantine and earrings, to become your mayor because he arrived as a expert persuader and professional liar?

Eh, that happens, just hit r to replace em. That's what I always do. Not a fan of popular votes in games, I'm not in control :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 02:49:02 pm »

I get a different problem with migrants: One or two Great+ practical skills like Spinning or Shearing and then 3 Skilled+ social skills. With no or little variation.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:13:26 pm »

When genning a small island region (vanille game with more civs, more evil, no rain types, more mist types, a fuckton of visible caves, pretty long history and plenty of demons and titans) I recieved weird migrants. The strength, agility, intellect, memory ... all of it was neutral. I used DFhack to extract a xml file and viewed it with the dwarven guidance counselor. Sure enough ... the dwarves had the standard values. There wasn't the slightest deviation from it.
 When genning a small region instead of island with basically the same settings I recieved normal migrants. Fat migrants, stupid migrants, strong ones, weak ones ...

I get a different problem with migrants: One or two Great+ practical skills like Spinning or Shearing and then 3 Skilled+ social skills. With no or little variation.

This. They also followed a skill pattern with little to no variation. They had some experience with striking, dodging and such combat skills. They had one weapon skill where they were usually "competent" and then one actual occupation skill. The only variation was that one dwarf didn't have any occupation only military history.

Not sure if the situation is related or not.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 08:02:40 pm »

I just got my first wave in my new game.

They all have social skills. Most of them at Great.

Did you toggle Toady's new init setting, to disable labor skills?  If you didn't do that, they would be normal migrants.  Try that new init setting, and then report your results.  I've not tried it in 05.  Is this fixed in 05?  Thanks, Knutor

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 08:46:35 pm »

FEATURE.

Now if only there was a way to keep children from gaining them short of magma and danger rooms and danger magma rooms.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.