Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Level 80 candy *SPOILERS*  (Read 1514 times)

Cyco_Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Level 80 candy *SPOILERS*
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:02:23 pm »

It's the 3rd cavern layer and I can tell because I'm using genesis mod. Level 80 and I struck an Adamantine pillar I'm curious am I about to hit HFS? Is this a bug? Or something else?
QuoteModify
Quote from: arzzult on Today at 02:47:41 am
Too far? This is the game where we slaughter the cutest animals we can find by the dozen for a rather meager amount of food. This is the game where coming up with a more complex and cruel way to kill something is a daily goal. This is the game where "child care" is locking a kid in a room with a bunch of rabid animals to scar them, sir, this is not far enough.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Level 80 candy *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:04:26 pm »

About 1/4 pillars reach the 3rd cavern.

Do be careful about Digging Too Deep.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:04:38 pm »

Dig in, and find out!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:06:03 pm »

Make sure you surround the pillar with a meeting area, so they can all get to see the fantastic show!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 10:09:17 pm »

the hollow core of the spoilerite may be anywhere from the second layer from the top to the lowest layer.  If you want to be careful, find the lowest spot you can and carve fortifications into the 4x4 area in it to reveal if there is a "stick" at that height.  If there is, seal it off somewhere up the shaft and dig everything else you can.  If not, you can dig out everything above that safely.

Hint:  Creatures can't destroy locked floor hatches from below, but they can open unlocked ones.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:17:22 pm »

DFHack: Tubefill - makes the spire solid all the way down.  Otherwise start utilizing fortifications and exploratory mining.  There is a science to careful candy harvesting.

Also it's not very unusual.  It's uncommon, but not unheard of.  I've seen spires to the 2nd layer rarely, and once to the first layer.  3rd layer spires are... not incredibly noteworthy.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:21:25 pm »

DFHack: Tubefill - makes the spire solid all the way down.  Otherwise start utilizing fortifications and exploratory mining.  There is a science to careful candy harvesting.

Also it's not very unusual.  It's uncommon, but not unheard of.  I've seen spires to the 2nd layer rarely, and once to the first layer.  3rd layer spires are... not incredibly noteworthy.

I've never seen a first layer spire outside of bugged worlds :O

I want some of this epicness, unless the stick is to the very top.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:35:16 pm »

Well, it is bugged.  The only difference is "is it bugged enough to stick through the surface?"  There's no real exact point where it turns from "regular spire" to "buggy awesome world" except how we define it.  There's technically not much limit on how far a spire can go...

Cyco_Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 10:40:46 pm »

Well, it is bugged.  The only difference is "is it bugged enough to stick through the surface?"  There's no real exact point where it turns from "regular spire" to "buggy awesome world" except how we define it.  There's technically not much limit on how far a spire can go...
So I'll dig up from it.
Also an art to safely mining adamantine?
QuoteModify
Quote from: arzzult on Today at 02:47:41 am
Too far? This is the game where we slaughter the cutest animals we can find by the dozen for a rather meager amount of food. This is the game where coming up with a more complex and cruel way to kill something is a daily goal. This is the game where "child care" is locking a kid in a room with a bunch of rabid animals to scar them, sir, this is not far enough.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:02 pm »

So I'll dig up from it.
Also an art to safely mining adamantine?

It's a bit like playing minesweeper. The trick is to remember the inner tube is always 2x2, and to mine in such a way that this tube is never opened, wherever it might be in the spire.

Or, if you like lag, you could carve fortifications to reveal the tube and spawn the clowns.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:26 pm »

Code: [Select]
###
  ##
 ####
##??##
 ####
   ####
In this poorly constructed diagram, you have two "unseen" tiles.
☼☼☼
  ☼☼
 ####
☼#??#☼
 ####
   ☼☼☼☼
The ☼ tiles are safe to dig.  After that, you risk a breach.  Safest way to handle this is fortifications, by smoothing and fortifying the stone.
☼☼☼
  ☼☼
 ###‼
☼#?##☼
 ####
   ☼☼☼☼
If the fortification exposes a new wall tile, then you can dig away that fortification.  If it exposes a pit, then you've unleashed HFS but not allowed it into your fort.

Repeat this all along the spire.  Scrape away what's legit, then start taking educated guesses as to what you can fortify and remove.  Pay attention to different levels too, if the layout of one layer doesn't match the one immediately above or below, then you can tell that some tiles are solid.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 10:52:26 pm »

But it's worth noting that the hollow area is 2x2 and always completely surrounded by spoilerite, so you are looking for 4x4 areas.  If it isn't a 4x4 area, you can dig it safely.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 11:23:08 pm »

Lucky you.  I started hitting caverns at level -8.

I don't know how are below zero I'll have to go to hit shiny stuff....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 11:54:42 pm »

Heheh. Still wishing that embark where I had a spire several z-levels above ground without any fps drop had been in something less buggy than .34.02.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable