Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Easier Tantrum Spirals  (Read 3793 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
Easier Tantrum Spirals
« on: March 01, 2012, 05:33:51 pm »

I've suddenly realized something in my current fort, I get large numbers if immigrants who are spouses, siblings, parents, children, aunts, uncles, and cousins.  I just lost 8 military dwarves in a triple ambush, now I've got several unhappy dwarves from dead family.  This is gonna make the tantrum spiral much harder to avoid now.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Easier Tantrum Spirals
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 05:36:19 pm »

Legendary dining room is still the only friend a Dwarf needs

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 05:40:16 pm »

My fortress exits are waterfall machines ^.^

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 05:42:22 pm »

How many of your Dwarfs actually leave your fort?

So messed up...

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 05:43:01 pm »

This.

Oh so much.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 06:49:33 pm »

Sadly, it can be hard keeping them all busy so that they don't congregate and throw wild orgies "parties" in the legendary dining room all the time.

(Anyone else notice that the child production rate increases when the dwarves party?)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:29:47 pm »

Sadly, it can be hard keeping them all busy so that they don't congregate and throw wild orgies "parties" in the legendary dining room all the time.

(Anyone else notice that the child production rate increases when the dwarves party?)

If they throw a party (and they can even if they are half done with a fortress critical series of tasks!) just go to the table your dining room is designated from and undesignate it, unpause for a second and then redesignate it.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 07:45:26 pm »

I don't think they throw parties in rooms that aren't designated as a meeting area, and don't throw parties in meeting areas from the i menu. So you could designate a room as a dining room without checking it as a meeting area, and then place a meeting area over it and not get any parties. my memory might be bad though.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 07:47:31 pm »

I don't think they throw parties in rooms that aren't designated as a meeting area, and don't throw parties in meeting areas from the i menu. So you could designate a room as a dining room without checking it as a meeting area, and then place a meeting area over it and not get any parties. my memory might be bad though.
This works, its what I do when I'm too busy for them to party
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:40:12 pm »

I refuse to designate meeting areas, after the nightmare that parties have caused in previous forts. Dining Room is just a dining room, statues are just statues, and that is that. Immigrants take forever to get into the fort, since they don't have a meeting room to path to, but they get there eventually.

I keep my dwarves happy with individual, engraved bedrooms, legendary dining rooms, and masterwork meals. Haven't had tantrums except in cases where a dwarf was the only one left, driven mad by every other dwarf dying, and also his legs were missing.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 11:57:37 am »

Main trick I use is to keep my military isolated from the civvies, since military takes most of the losses.  If you lose half a squad, and each dwarf lost in that squad has a ton of friends, that will nuke fortress morale really quick.  Can't do anything about relationships except maybe draft the loners.  If you keep your military fully scheduled with training and patrolling, they won't mingle much amongst themselves either.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 12:07:51 pm »

Haven't had tantrums except in cases where a dwarf was the only one left, driven mad by every other dwarf dying, and also his legs were missing.

Have I said I love this game? Because I love this game. I couldn't stop laughing at how that was just tacked on like it was a small, almost overlooked triviality.

Anyhow, masterwork platinum chains for prisons work wonders for stopping tantrum spirals if there's just a few people mad about family members dying. Make sure you have a few dwarves idling to feed them and everything should work out.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 02:55:04 pm »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 03:02:53 pm »

I refuse to designate meeting areas, after the nightmare that parties have caused in previous forts. Dining Room is just a dining room, statues are just statues, and that is that. Immigrants take forever to get into the fort, since they don't have a meeting room to path to, but they get there eventually.

I keep my dwarves happy with individual, engraved bedrooms, legendary dining rooms, and masterwork meals. Haven't had tantrums except in cases where a dwarf was the only one left, driven mad by every other dwarf dying, and also his legs were missing.

I never designate meeting areas from tables/statues. I've always designated them from the i menu, that's the first way I learned to do it. I have also never seen my dwarves throw a party. Never.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 03:05:11 pm »

I never designate meeting areas from tables/statues. I've always designated them from the i menu, that's the first way I learned to do it. I have also never seen my dwarves throw a party. Never.

You might be incredibly lucky then :P

Or maybe Dwarfs will never have parties at meeting zones. Will try this out.
Pages: [1] 2